Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM

17,776 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I remember the 80's and we had something that was dubbed "Going Postal". It was where an over worked over stressed postal worker would take a gun to work and shoot his supervisor and maybe a few others that his troubled mind deemed as part of the problem. How did the PO stop this problem?
That happened in my home town. My parent's postwoman was killed. That was 1986. We had the McDonald's San Ysidro shooting and several others in the 1980s. Luby's cafeteria got shot up in Killeen, Tx in 1991.

The mass shooting thing seemed to start with those events in the '80s.

You're questioning about how and why this didn't become an endemic problem in the Post Office probably is worth examining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You could use a bit of education in psychology and mental health. People do not develop conditions because they are told to.
Sometimes they do. There's a lot of psychosomatic health conditions that are stress related. Most stomach problems such as IBS, a lot of chronic pain, fibromyalgia, idiopathic gastroparesis, so called "chronic lyme" and the like are stress related issues related to too much beta wave activity in the brain, too much stress, overstimulated nervous system. Lack of sleep, etc. There's a technique called "open focus" that is used to help relax the nervous system and reset the body. Combined with positive affirmations, visualizations, and mindset, it's a recipe for healing and empowerment.

There's a lot about the human body people still don't understand, or even if they do, it's not promoted because telling someone to relax and meditate does not make corporations tons of money. Telling people to eat less, consume less, live more minimalist, relax... they make a lot of money off of people who are hopelessly addicted to their vices and don't know how to break free of their conditioning and habits.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
of course the usual talking heads and political leaders get on air and scream for more gun laws.

I am a kid of the 70s/80s. We did not have these issues back then. If we did, it was extremely rare and the shooter had MENTAL and/or EMOTIONAL issues. When are we as a nation going to look and see what has changed in the last 40 years? We had weaker gun laws back then and did not have shooting like this.
What is the mental health solution you are advocating for?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:46 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
see post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What is the mental health solution you are advocating for?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:47 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
of course the usual talking heads and political leaders get on air and scream for more gun laws.

I am a kid of the 70s/80s. We did not have these issues back then. If we did, it was extremely rare and the shooter had MENTAL and/or EMOTIONAL issues. When are we as a nation going to look and see what has changed in the last 40 years? We had weaker gun laws back then and did not have shooting like this.
These problems existed back then too.

Today they are just covered wall to wall and we have social media as well.

Regardless of era, there will always be nutcases who decide to act out on evil. As a country, we can't base our laws on the whims of nutcases.

Crime and killing has existed since the beginning of mankind.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
see post #9
That wasnt your post, but I assume you are saying that doctors shouldnt be prescribing medication for people's mental health issues like depression and anxiety?

Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:

Me too. I can't remember how many times my neighborhood friends (ages 10-13) and I walked down the road with our .22 rifles for target practice and the occasional missed rabbit. We didn't live in a rural area, either. No complaints and no shootings. In school, we had bullying and occasional fights, but nothing like it is today.

I miss those days. My daughter is 22 and she loves to hear stories about growing up during that time.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:06 AM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You make absolutely zero sense. Are you saying that because people have access to semi auto rifles, it drives them to kill other innocent humans ? That alone sounds like a sign of mental illness. Not to mention, a perfect mentally healthy person doesn't want to commit murder.
There's many people who have mental illness who don't want to harm others.

It has to do with evil, not mental illness. There's many same people who choose to do evil.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Me too. I can't remember how many times my neighborhood friends (ages 10-13) and I walked down the road with our .22 rifles for target practice and the occasional missed rabbit. We didn't live in a rural area, either. No complaints and no shootings. In school, we had bullying and occasional fights, but nothing like it is today.

I miss those days. My daughter is 22 and she loves to hear stories about growing up during that time.
That is how most people live (absent the .22 rifles). Also, today and back then, not everyone lives that way. Also, back then people said "things were better back in the day." I dont know why old people cant figure that out already.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:23 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
There's many people who have mental illness who don't want to harm others.

It has to do with evil, not mental illness. There's many same people who choose to do evil.
Your point please ?

I don't think anyone here has stated that every mentally ill person wants to harm others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies