Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 06:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Why?

What is your reasoning for that?

For one thing, why do you want to keep the population some 60-70 years behind in technology?
Behind in technology for killing the masses you mean? Yeah, I’m good with that. Just as I’m good with not allowing private citizens access to certain toxins and explosives. Cause you know, what could possibly go wrong?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Behind in technology for killing the masses you mean? Yeah, I’m good with that. Just as I’m good with not allowing private citizens access to certain toxins and explosives. Cause you know, what could possibly go wrong?

All right but what is your reasoning about not allowing private citizens to have the AR-15?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I spent two years in the army, part of that in combat. Never met anyone who did not know how to shoot before they went in. But the poster I responded to said that all young men should be 21 to use a gun. That would that many in the military could not have a gun.
Some organizations would prefer to train people who have no prior experience. And they have gun in the military to learn to shoot. At home no gun until a certain age sounds good to me.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Cal girl. Everyone is for better mental health support. That’s actually a liberal cause.
I haven’t heard many conservatives make mental health agencies and mental health a priority.
You hear what you want to hear Clara.

Quote:
And no one in the private sector should own an AR15. Period.
Then run for a position in Congress. Otherwise it’s just your opinion with nothing to back it up.

Quote:
The constitution is not a suicide pact.
What?

Learn your history.

Every genocide in modern history has been preceded by gun confiscation.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...cide/27250187/

Old 05-25-2022, 06:19 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You hear what you want to hear Clara.

Then run for a position in Congress. Otherwise it’s just your opinion with nothing to back it up.

What?

Learn your history.

Every genocide in modern history has been preceded by gun confiscation.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...cide/27250187/
The Dems rewrote history and removed what they didn't like.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:00 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
#1 option...re-open mental institutions, and get them off the streets & out of our communities.
Nobody is willing to even consider this … it’s just toooo hard.

Quote:
I read yesterday (but now of course I can’t find the link)…80% of the firearms used in these situations were obtained from a family member who purchased them legally.

And yea I agree, we need to change hearts and minds and souls to stop killings.
Re-Check your sources (which you can’t remember) - a few were stolen from family members, the majority purchased legally - although the FBI regularly drops the ball on vetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Absentee parents.
Broken homes/nobody's home.
Materialistic excesses of society.
Little in the way of positive and solid social structures anymore.
Social media.
Expectations.
Atrocious diets.
Not enough exercise, sunshine, and fresh air.
Movies and video games that desensitize and give the impression that you can shoot your way out of anything. Of course, few are affected negatively to such an extreme, but like other vices, not everyone can handle it.
Bleak outlook on the future thanks to the pervasive nihilism coming at them from all sides.

All that leads to depression.
Western medicine has a pill for everything.
Pills can backfire spectacularly.
CongressCritters would not want to offend Big Pharma by addressing this.
There is no question that the Leftist insistence on Lockdowns and the Union refusals to open schools played a big part. We have severely damaged kids due to these policies.

Quote:
Liberals are the ONLY ones saying vet people before they’re allowed to purchase a gun, and if they seem volatile don’t allow them to buy one. And if someone buys one for them or sells them one charge that person with a crime.

Meanwhile conservatives think the solution is to arm Miss Jenkins the first grade teacher with an AR15.
Who exactly would do the “vetting” and determine who is “worthy” of owning a gun?
Let me rake a wild guess …. leftists would determine “worthiness”.

Quote:
No, the liberals are saying it is impossible to “vet people”, so let’s restrict/ban gun ownership.

Conservatives are arguing for better mental health support, are pointing out the dangers of certain medications, and calling for a restoration of our society.
1). True
2). Also true

And never the twain shall meet.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:02 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You know what else they had in common?
No father in the home.
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who were listed in the list you mentioned, as well as Ethan Crumbley all had fathers in the house where they lived at the time of their shootings. Not sure about some of the others

Old 05-25-2022, 07:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the common denominator here?

Salvador Ramos (Uvalde, TX) - male, age 18
Payton Gendron (Buffalo, NY) - male, age 18
Patrick Crusius (El Paso, TX) - male, age 21
Nikolas Cruz (Parkland, FL) - male, age 19
Dylan Roof (Charleston, SC) - male, age 19
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook, NJ) - male, age 20
Eric Harris (Columbine, CO) - male, age 18
Dylan Klebold (Columbine, CO) - male, age 17

Maybe we don't need sweeping gun control laws. We don't need to take guns away from women, or from middle-aged men. There is a very specific cohort here. Why don't we concentrate on keeping guns out of the hands of young men?

None of these happened in a police station... Maybe we need to repel "Gun Free Zone" federal law and explicitly allow any Concealed Carry license holder to carry in any public building that does not have armed security, including schools, libraries and town halls?

Maybe we could give federal grants to all schools to boost their security instead of giving money to Ukraine?

Old 05-25-2022, 07:15 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some organizations would prefer to train people who have no prior experience. And they have gun in the military to learn to shoot. At home no gun until a certain age sounds good to me.
So you would also limit hunting to those 21 and older?

Old 05-25-2022, 07:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
GOP -- The root cause for mass shootings is untreated mental illness.

Also GOP -- Most mass shooters are on meds for mental illness.

I am not saying either is true. Just noting that sme folks blame mental illness and also blame treatments for mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies