Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2022, 06:05 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope...kids with serious mental health issues, that were either never reported, or under reported

the Sandy Hook kid murdered his own mother to be able to get in her LOCKED GUN SAFE
WRONG!

Steven Paddock the worst of them all and he was an old man with no history. It was a right wing talking point on how nothing could be done.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...ate-misguided/

But keep cherry picking to fit you narrative. I’m sure some people buy it.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:10 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Difficult to say just what makes that kind of person, what all the elements are, which ones are in balance, which aren't, what ends up reigning supreme.

With the way I was a target for childhood bullying and teasing, why didn't I end up like that? We can't necessarily pinpoint it on being female ALTHOUGH when one is in a certainly group, they have to adjust to the world and do things in a different way than what others types do. For example, a white general only made 2 stars while a black general made 3. They were both very capable men so what was the difference? The black general was nicer, more diplomatic for he was in that environment where he needed to be to get ahead.

That said, do literature romantics become criminal killers? Do bookworms who are there in the library while everyone else is out partying and playing go off the deep end? Who knows but I am often in my fantasy worlds where it pleases me to be Godlike, to be the Nice One. Angels and Demons, what is it in life that makes turn to one side or the other?

As to a possible solution? One of the reasons why I didn't strike out at my tormentors, even just to slug back, was that I was being groomed for academies and scholarships and to do so would destroy those goals.......

.......maybe.
You also don’t have tons of testosterone coursing through your body. Another thing to consider is what someone posted in another thread, 18-20 is typically when the symptoms of schizophrenia start in people who have it, and it seems that’s more prevalent in men though I’m not sure.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:12 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
At least raise the legal age to buy a gun to 21. If 18 year olds are not responsible enough to drink a beer, how are they responsible enough to have a semi automatic weapon?

Ok.

But then, no voting, no driving no serving in the military until you're 21 either.

Unless you want a sliding scale of maturity based on your own preconceived bias and stereotypes.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:16 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
"18 year olds?"

You mean EIGHT 18 year-olds out of millions?

You realize that any 18 year old committing a gun crime is EXCEPTIONALLY rare, right?

That depends on the context.

If you're talking about these types of sensationalized mass shootings....yes.

If you're talking about the average Saturday night in Chicago.......not so rare.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You also don’t have tons of testosterone coursing through your body. Another thing to consider is what someone posted in another thread, 18-20 is typically when the symptoms of schizophrenia start in people who have it, and it seems that’s more prevalent in men though I’m not sure.
True but.....I was also groomed in those eras of the 60s, 70s, "kill a commie for Ronnie", to be blood thirsty. After all, in the 80s in a submarine simulator, we thought nothing of sinking a Soviet hospital ship because to us young heroes, even a wounded Soviet is a threat............

...........but, I soon learned that it is unwise to sink hospital ships because as protected vessels, they may be transporting POWs, too!

But, let's go with that for a moment in that is it testosterone? Especially in these feminism of the male, estrogen pollution times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ok.

But then, no voting, no driving no serving in the military until you're 21 either.

Unless you want a sliding scale of maturity based on your own preconceived bias and stereotypes.
I want to take it two steps further. First, no trying anyone under the age of maturity (whatever is decided) as an adult, regardless of the crime.

And secondly? CHILDREN DO NOT PAY TAXES!

Old 05-26-2022, 06:26 AM

24,631 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's there any proof that one they were are prescription psychotropic medication and two that it does indeed cause people to be violent
Well, I don't know about medications, but you have to clearly lack empathy to shoot 19 young children. Or 10 grocery shoppers.

Every sociopath isn't a mass shooter but every mass shooter is a sociopath. Suicidal is one thing, but homicidal is a different level.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the common denominator here?

Salvador Ramos (Uvalde, TX) - male, age 18
Payton Gendron (Buffalo, NY) - male, age 18
Patrick Crusius (El Paso, TX) - male, age 21
Nikolas Cruz (Parkland, FL) - male, age 19
Dylan Roof (Charleston, SC) - male, age 19
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook, NJ) - male, age 20
Eric Harris (Columbine, CO) - male, age 18
Dylan Klebold (Columbine, CO) - male, age 17

Maybe we don't need sweeping gun control laws. We don't need to take guns away from women, or from middle-aged men. There is a very specific cohort here. Why don't we concentrate on keeping guns out of the hands of young men?
That might work. But those parents that bought the Michigan shooter his guns, how do you fix that? Although they're at least being punished.

It's a start. Generally, if you can solve 90% of a problem with 10% of the effort, that's the way to go.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:35 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
From what I have read, all of them are Godless individuals.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:36 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Either you are an adult with full rights or you aren't. Either a person is allowed to purchase tobacco, purchase alcohol, own a gun, vote, or be tried as an adult at 18 or isn't. If you really want to argue that the age of majority is 21, then do so.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:42 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the common denominator here?

Salvador Ramos (Uvalde, TX) - male, age 18
Payton Gendron (Buffalo, NY) - male, age 18
Patrick Crusius (El Paso, TX) - male, age 21
Nikolas Cruz (Parkland, FL) - male, age 19
Dylan Roof (Charleston, SC) - male, age 19
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook, NJ) - male, age 20
Eric Harris (Columbine, CO) - male, age 18
Dylan Klebold (Columbine, CO) - male, age 17

Maybe we don't need sweeping gun control laws. We don't need to take guns away from women, or from middle-aged men. There is a very specific cohort here. Why don't we concentrate on keeping guns out of the hands of young men?
I'm fine with raising the age of ownership, but with that also the age to vote and join the military.

Maybe we should be looking at why this demographic is doing the majority of these atrocities ? It started in 1999 and has risen ever since. What has changed in society the last couple of decades ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies