Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 04:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You know what else they had in common?
No father in the home.
Where are/were their fathers? Seems we can partially blame the fathers for not remaining part of their sons' lives, divorced or not.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:34 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Where are/were their fathers? Seems we can partially blame the fathers for not remaining part of their sons' lives, divorced or not.
And what ? Put him in jail for 40-50 years because he wasn't there when his son was growing up.
What does that prove ?

Nearly 30% of American children are growing up in single parent households and half of those women were never even married.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would be fine with that...but then make everything equal...no one under 21 can drive, drink, VOTE, enter the military, enter into a marriage, get an abortion, get gender transitioning medical care, enter into a contract (which includes loans, including student loans), and pay taxes either

Good point. You are mature or you are not. You are responsible or you are not.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:36 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,804 times
As already noted, there have actually been a variety of ages. Mental issues for sure though. And there are so many different levels of mental issues. The number of people with issues is astounding. Spend a couple evenings watching "Cops" and you'll see there are so many wackos everywhere. In every city.

No I'm not trying to say they are all potential mass murderers, I'm thinking about how many people are running around with mental issues. And in my opinion it's just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately we find out about most them too late.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Agree 100%. However there is danger of making false conclusions based on a simple statement like that. Without the help of psychotropic drugs would rates of mass shootings be even higher….. or would they be lower? The answer is unknown. It’s easy at that point to say “well decades ago less people were on psychotropic drugs and there were less mass shootings, but that’s just a surface level observation not based on any real proof. It doesn’t take into account vastly changing culture, the effects of social media, the variance in gun availability (if any, idk just giving examples), and likely hundreds of other factors that differ from back in the 50a or 60s. Essentially I’m saying that with such a complicated and intricate problem, we have to be very careful not to draw non-scientific conclusions. Doing so won’t help anyone in the long run.
Most mass shooters were never diagnosed, let alone medicated. Perhaps if some had been….

In absence of a history of violence, it is near impossible to project anyone’s potential for future violence.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:42 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
At least raise the legal age to buy a gun to 21. If 18 year olds are not responsible enough to drink a beer, how are they responsible enough to have a semi automatic weapon?
how are they responsible enough to be in the military and handle guns there?

Old 05-25-2022, 04:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the common denominator here?

Salvador Ramos (Uvalde, TX) - male, age 18
Payton Gendron (Buffalo, NY) - male, age 18
Patrick Crusius (El Paso, TX) - male, age 21
Nikolas Cruz (Parkland, FL) - male, age 19
Dylan Roof (Charleston, SC) - male, age 19
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook, NJ) - male, age 20
Eric Harris (Columbine, CO) - male, age 18
Dylan Klebold (Columbine, CO) - male, age 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You know what else they had in common?
No father in the home.
Correct for most of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
How many of them were taking medications for various mental issues?

You left out Seung-Hui Cho age 23
I think most of them were on those medications. Easier to Medicate than Parent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You do realize that these are extremely troubled young men? That some of them were in and out of psychiatric care, in trouble with law enforcement…

Lanza was autistic and had severe OCD and anorexia. Harris and and Klebold wrote extremely violent stories involving rape and cannibalism. Roof was schizophrenic and autistic. Most were on various forms of psychiatric drugs.

https://www.theledger.com/story/news...ss/8861268002/

MOST young American men are going to college, or are working, or both. They like cars and dating and sports and video games.

The question you should be asking is why young men who are extremely troubled sometimes fall through the cracks.
They “fall through the cracks” because busy Parents take the easy way out with their children
Poke a pill down their throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
charles whitman was 25.
Charles Whitman had a Brain Tumor and begged doctors for help - he knew something was wrong and they ignored him. He wrote in a will that he wanted his brain donated to Science so they could find out what was wrong with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Do a bit more research and you'll see most of them were on prescription antidepressants.
That’s also what I’ve found - not just in these school shootings, but in others also - like the Gabby Gifford Shooting. Unfortunately, it’s not a Talking Point for CongressCritters to look into prescription drugs, when all they can think about is removing the 2nd Amendment & they KNOW that will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I read an article that said antidepressant prescriptions jumped over 10% in the first half of 2020.
Other prescription drugs (pain killers) also jumped.
The Lock Downs and Isolation of kids for 2 Years has done an incredible disservice to our kids.
I’ve seen the damage first hand in my Grandchildren. The Uvalde Killer dropout of school during the Pandemic and wasn’t able to graduate - that was the likely trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Absolutely to both. She said it has NEVER been this bad until Covid.

I agree with your other posts about over prescribing meds. I feel unless you are a danger to yourself or others, meds should be a last resort rather than the first course of action. Counseling and things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can do wonders for people.

The problem I see is the Dr.'s rarely take time - many now don't have the time - to find the real deep seated issues with a patient. They write a script instead. Insurance always covers pharma meds so all a patient is responsible for is a small co-pay...Take pills, come back in 6 months...Much cheaper than intensive psychotherapy which is routinely only covered at 50% with most plans.

If you have ever known a "troubled" person, you probably already know they can have really complicated issues. Many need intensive help.
I could write a book on this. My Grandchildren have been in Therapy for over 10 Years. I know 2 of them are being given drugs of some sort. It worries me constantly. I’ve tried to talk to my son about it and it just makes him angry. I know he tries to do what he thinks is best - but he can’t see that none of it has resulted in anything good for them. The result is 3 kids that were the top of their class in a private school are barely passing once they went into public school.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
"18 year olds?"

You mean EIGHT 18 year-olds out of millions?

You realize that any 18 year old committing a gun crime is EXCEPTIONALLY rare, right?
Do you have a better idea? Let's hear it please.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:51 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
What do all these mass shootings have in common?

They are all immediately politicized by Democrats.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would be fine with that...but then make everything equal...no one under 21 can drive, drink, VOTE, enter the military, enter into a marriage, get an abortion, get gender transitioning medical care, enter into a contract (which includes loans, including student loans), and pay taxes either
In that case, the parents would be responsible for what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies