Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 09:52 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You mean like New York, L.A. and all those blue states that are Democrat controlled? WTH does one's party affilation have to do with mental illness that breeds killers anyway? You're such a ridiculous party hack!
I guess you didn't bother to read the article that tinytrump linked:

"The five states with the highest per capita murder rate — Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama and Missouri — all lean Republican and voted for Trump."

It just counters the popular misconception of the violent, democratic cities and the peaceful, GOP countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 10:11 AM

398 posts, read 206,565 times
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”

- Ayn Rand

Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
One crime statistic NOT tracked is crimes committed by American children of immigrant parents.

I had an interesting conversation with a Sheriff of a county that is known for its crime and is also primarily Latino.

His observation was that immigrants are REALLY GRATEFUL to be in this country and do not commit many crimes (obviously an exception, for criminal gangs from Mexico). However, his observation was that THEIR kids, now American, are hell on wheels.

In our neck of the woods, we went from virtually zero crime to gang shootings on street corners as our Latino population went from zero to over 50%, and while a generation ago a shooting would make front page news for weeks, nobody even blinks an eye today.

Just took one generation, 20 years, to accept gang shootings as normal.

He also pointed out, that has been true for all immigrant groups moving to this country. Starting with the Irish, Italians, and more recently Russians and Vietnamese. Looking at crime waves historically in this country they follow mass immigration, by exactly the amount of time it take to produce first generation American children.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:28 AM

11,781 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real question regarding our violent crime issues is-why do we have so many CRIMINALS in this country, those willing to violate others, either their property or their person. As the left like to whine all the time, we have the highest per-capita number of people in prison of any country (I haven't verified this) and we all know just how soft our crime laws and sentences are, and how often criminals are turned free with a minimal sentence. We have far, far more criminals than the few unlucky ones that actually, through some miracle, end up in prison. And these days, we won't even hold violent criminals on bail (ones where bail shouldn't be an option). So the real, serious question-why does this country produce so many criminals? Why are so many willing to commit crimes-do they not concern themselves with the consequences? And how do our sentences compare to other nations for similar crimes? Why so little value for human life in this country? We are more concerned with tiny bald eagles than tiny humans, let alone children and adults.
Kids aren't taught morals and ethics. Children are not taught respect. Few belong to organized religions which is a good background even if you turn away from the church like I have. There are too many one person households.Too many parents don't have the time or energy for their kids. Too many kids being born to crack heads.

People can laugh at the 50's all they want but parents taught respect, mom was home with the kids, they went to church on Sunday, they were taught respect and responsiblity, they didn't have scads of drugs on the streets, disobey the law and you went to jail - you did not receive a slap on the wrist. Shall I continue.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:04 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
One crime statistic NOT tracked is crimes committed by American children of immigrant parents.

I had an interesting conversation with a Sheriff of a county that is known for its crime and is also primarily Latino.

His observation was that immigrants are REALLY GRATEFUL to be in this country and do not commit many crimes (obviously an exception, for criminal gangs from Mexico). However, his observation was that THEIR kids, now American, are hell on wheels.

In our neck of the woods, we went from virtually zero crime to gang shootings on street corners as our Latino population went from zero to over 50%, and while a generation ago a shooting would make front page news for weeks, nobody even blinks an eye today.

Just took one generation, 20 years, to accept gang shootings as normal.

He also pointed out, that has been true for all immigrant groups moving to this country. Starting with the Irish, Italians, and more recently Russians and Vietnamese. Looking at crime waves historically in this country they follow mass immigration, by exactly the amount of time it take to produce first generation American children.
Where I live, we have a growing immigrant population, specifically Hispanic. The vast majority of the violent crime, however, is committed mostly by Black people. Black Americans are about 28-30% of the population where I live. They are 90% of the homicides, both victims and perpetrators. While there is certainly decent-size violent crime within the Hispanic population, it's Black people leading by leaps and bounds. And Black people are the majority of the victims.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Even in Republican states, the crime is generally centered in Democrat controlled cities. Republican controlled states also have larger black populations, on average, than Democrat controlled states. Violent crime is disproportionately represented in black communities, which are overwhelmingly Democrat. Democrat controlled states tend to have smaller black populations, like Illinois. If more of Illinois was like Chicago, you'd see states like that have more issues, too. It really isn't rocket science.
In Oklahoma, the majority of the violent crime comes from Tulsa and Oklahoma City, which are both Republican cities. Both cities are about 15% Black and a majority of the violent crime in both cities comes from Black Americans. Oklahoma also has one of the highest rates of imprisonment in America, likely the highest. Oklahoma has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the United States. This is why I don't see this as "we'll if we had more Republicans things would improve".

Old 05-27-2022, 11:53 AM

It's not one thing or another. It's a combination of factors.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:06 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

"The five states with the highest per capita murder rate — Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama and Missouri — all lean Republican and voted for Trump."

It just counters the popular misconception of the violent, democratic cities and the peaceful, GOP countryside.
I really think you've got to go deeper, to the city level. I live in a blue state, but if you look at the demographics on a map, the majority of the state is red, with the big cities blue. The safest parts of the state are the red areas. The two main cities are war zones.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:46 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

What you're not getting and what I also said is that whatever political party you are affiliated with has no bearing on mental illness that causes one to kill people.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In Oklahoma, the majority of the violent crime comes from Tulsa and Oklahoma City, which are both Republican cities. Both cities are about 15% Black and a majority of the violent crime in both cities comes from Black Americans. Oklahoma also has one of the highest rates of imprisonment in America, likely the highest. Oklahoma has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the United States. This is why I don't see this as "we'll if we had more Republicans things would improve".

Perhaps they should join the Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies