Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:09 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
this is a strawman and has nothing to do with what i said. don't call yourself a "top" school if your results change when the students change. you were never a "top" school. The best instructors should be able to get results regardless. And i doubt this school was getting literal gang members like you all are implying. this is like a "top" coach only being good while he has the one or two best athletes on his team, but the moment he has a middle of the pack team, all of a sudden "it's not me it's the players".
You cant get blood from a stone.

The scorpion is always going to sting the frog.

You cant make a wife out of a ho. oh.

And Michelangelo could not create David out of petrified cow dung.

We are not all created equal. People have different limitations. You work with the limits of whatever you are working with. These could be some of the best educators in the world, but if they are teaching kids that dont have the capacity and/or desire to learn, there is only so far they will get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 01:44 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
this is a strawman and has nothing to do with what i said. don't call yourself a "top" school if your results change when the students change. you were never a "top" school. The best instructors should be able to get results regardless. And i doubt this school was getting literal gang members like you all are implying. this is like a "top" coach only being good while he has the one or two best athletes on his team, but the moment he has a middle of the pack team, all of a sudden "it's not me it's the players".
It was the top school because they tested for admission. That's why.

Admit F students and you'll get F grades. It is that simple.
Some people are smarter than others. Why America hates smart people is beyond me.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:49 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It was the top school because they tested for admission. That's why.

Admit F students and you'll get F grades. It is that simple.
Some people are smarter than others. Why America hates smart people is beyond me.
again, so it wasn't a top school. they just gathered the top students and claimed they were a top school. my sports analogy is spot on. coach gets the best players, calls himself the best program, same coach with middle of the pack players, blames the players and not his program.

you're the best school but can't teach. how does that work?

Old 05-27-2022, 03:52 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Who’d a thunk handing out participation trophies to the losers would have such an affect…but at least the participants feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
so top schools like Harvard or Yale is not a "top" school because they can't get a C student to graduate with honors?
yes. don't tell me you're a top school, if you can't teach the information. you just gathered up the "best" students in one place. and i'll just stick to my sports analogy. in college football there's a concept called a system quarterback. sometimes coaches, who actually coach, can plug and play any great player or MIDDLE OF THE PACK PLAYER into his offensive scheme and the scheme will work regardless, it's not reliant on having on the best quarterbacks. Same should apply to any "top school". If you're great at teaching then a change in student population shouldn't matter, how you teach should be effective regardless.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:57 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
yes. don't tell me you're a top school, if you can't teach the information. you just gathered up the "best" students in one place. and i'll just stick to my sports analogy. in college football there's a concept called a system quarterback. sometimes coaches, who actually coach, can plug and play any great player or MIDDLE OF THE PACK PLAYER into his offensive scheme and the scheme will work regardless, it's not reliant on having on the best quarterbacks. Same should apply to any "top school". If you're great at teaching then a change in student population shouldn't matter, how you teach should be effective regardless.
So i guess Yale or Harvard is not a top school then

Old 05-27-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So i guess Yale or Harvard is not a top school then
Can you Harvard and Yale get the same results with middle of the pack students? Does their system work, or do they just gather up the "best students" and proclaim themselves the best school?

Old 05-27-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The keyword is sometimes as it’s very rare. Lower talented folks take back seats to higher talented folks for a reason whether it’s mental or physical assets, sense of drive, etc… Because entitlement doesn’t pay the bills.

Great teachers are at the better/best schools because they’re capable of teaching better students. Lower end teachers are at community colleges and lower level learning schools.

Not everyone, especially top employers, have such low standards and aren’t interested in participation trophy folks that lack skills that better and more talented folks have.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Can you Harvard and Yale get the same results with middle of the pack students? Does their system work, or do they just gather up the "best students" and proclaim themselves the best school?
Few students have the mental capacity to learn, understand, comprehend, etc…, the standards of those universities. Those with lower mental capacities can get accepted to lesser schools, which happens everyday. Intelligence outweighs entitlement.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:09 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
yes. don't tell me you're a top school, if you can't teach the information.
You seem really invested in the idea that Lowell cannot be considered a top school. Not sure why this is so important to you, but whatever. Do you have any opinions on the subject of this thread, i.e. the increase in failing grades that took place after their admission policies were changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies