Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 05:33 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The usual BS on every thread from the gun advocates. Nothing can be done, this is the new normal.

Here’s an idea an annual firearm tax. Calculated based on the number of kids killed by guns each year. Paid per gun. 1 penny per child killed that year per gun.

Don’t want to pay, sell your gun back.

Revenue goes to families of children killed by guns. Directly.

Response “Blah blah blah why should I suffer when I didn’t do anything”

Because just like we said when the war on terror started “freedom isn’t free”

Why are kids paying the ultimate cost for you to have the freedom to own something that was banned less than 20 years ago?
"Here’s an idea an annual firearm tax."

Here’s an idea an annual computer tax.

As I have said, apply EVERY gun law that violates the 2nd Amendment, to the FIRST Amendment.
Ponder on THAT for while!

"The pen is MIGHTIER, then the sword"

Old 05-28-2022, 05:38 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
A swift, very public, very graphic, and very brutal execution of the mass shooter.
Some towns would display the bad guys who tried to rob their bank that the citizens killed, lined up in a row in open coffins as warning to all, "don't mess with us!"

One town hasn't had a bank robbery attempt since.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:00 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
So, what’s the next move for you in the hypothetical case of an assault weapons ban that doesn’t actually stop the assaults?

Hahahaha..........we can go rogue 3rd world and start throwing rocks.

God Bless the Second Amendment.........................

Old 05-28-2022, 06:08 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Here’s an idea an annual firearm tax."

Here’s an idea an annual computer tax.

As I have said, apply EVERY gun law that violates the 2nd Amendment, to the FIRST Amendment.
Ponder on THAT for while!

"The pen is MIGHTIER, then the sword"
My thought is to apply as many restrictions as you wish to gun ownership, but also apply them to voting.

Want the minimum age to be 21 or 25? Cool, no voting until then.
Pass a mental exam? Same for voting
Red flag laws for those who seem a little off? My neighbors would never vote again..
Etc

Old 05-28-2022, 07:22 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
In Australia they banned guns and never had a shooting thereafter . In US they didn’t ban guns and we had Columbine, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo , now a Texas elementary school, many others , and many more
You’re wrong. There have been shootings in Australia since their gun ban.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:07 AM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You know, both Australia and New Zealand have had an horrific mass killing by a nutter. Australia had the Port Author shooting in which 356 people were killed and New Zealand had the Christchurch shooting in which 51 people were killed.

Both those countries responded by banning semi-auto rifles (pump actions too I think?) Now, both those countries already had strict gun laws. One has to acquire a gun license which involves police vetting and background checks. In both instances, those checks were not done properly. The port Author killer was considered unfit to have a drivers license due to his mental health issues. And yet he was able to get a firearm license.

So instead of solving the administrative problems that let to him getting a gun licence, they take away innocent people's guns.

Same with the Christchurch nut.
How about 35 people were killed at Port Arthur? That's 35 too many but it's 10 times less than 356. I realize that this was likely a typo on your part but it was quite a doozy!

Gun violence is a part of the American culture that exists similarly in NO OTHER civilized country. It certainly does not exist here in Australia or in New Zealand. You know this, Guy, and I know is. And, my comments are not to be taken as some immature "my country is better than your country" nonsense. It's simply a fact.

The 2nd amendment of the U.S. Constitution is, to many Americans, akin to its having been carved into stone by the finger of God ...it's become an almost religious issue with them. I'm amazed by the 'solutions' that are being suggested here ...such as arming school teachers with weapons. Just imagine the scenario ...a real life re-enactment of "Gunfight at the OK Corral."

If this debate were going on here in Australia the dialog would be VERY different from that of this predominantly American one. When it comes to the topic of gun culture the mindset of the two countries is poles apart.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
How about 35 people were killed at Port Arthur? That's 35 too many but it's 10 times less than 356. I realize that this was likely a typo on your part but it was quite a doozy!

Gun violence is a part of the American culture that exists similarly in NO OTHER civilized country. It certainly does not exist here in Australia or in New Zealand. You know this, Guy, and I know is. And, my comments are not to be taken as some immature "my country is better than your country" nonsense. It's simply a fact.

The 2nd amendment of the U.S. Constitution is, to many Americans, akin to its having been carved into stone by the finger of God ...it's become an almost religious issue with them. I'm amazed by the 'solutions' that are being suggested here ...such as arming school teachers with weapons. Just imagine the scenario ...a real life re-enactment of "Gunfight at the OK Corral."

If this debate were going on here in Australia the dialog would be VERY different from that of this predominantly American one. When it comes to the topic of gun culture the mindset of the two countries is poles apart.
Well of course, look at how American won her freedom and independence! Guns are part of our history, and citizens used them against their own govt, its how America became a nation!

That would be impossible to reverse that? whats the alternative, go back to England controlling us?

Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
I think the idea is to decrease the chances of a school shooting. That doesn't mean that schools should decrease safety and security procedures. You might be surprised to learn that voters from both parties believe in the right to own guns and that both want common-sense gun laws.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:19 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I think the idea is to decrease the chances of a school shooting. That doesn't mean that schools should decrease safety and security procedures. You might be surprised to learn that voters from both parties believe in the right to own guns and that both want common-sense gun laws.
The Democrats haven’t proposed a common sense gun law yet.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:27 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
My thought is to apply as many restrictions as you wish to gun ownership, but also apply them to voting.

Want the minimum age to be 21 or 25? Cool, no voting until then.
Pass a mental exam? Same for voting
Red flag laws for those who seem a little off? My neighbors would never vote again..
Etc
Brilliant.

Tie the two together. Every restriction you place on firearms, place the same one on voting. Can't really hide behind "but voting am teh rightz!!" because guess what...so is the right to keep and bear arms. And unlike voting, there is a whole amendment dedicated solely to the explicit protection of the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Only amendments for voting are the ones that say you can't stop people based on being women, 18-21 years old, a minority, or not paying a poll tax. But nothing for voting comes close to the blanket "thou shall not abridge..." like the 2nd Amendment does for keeping and bearing arms.
  • No voting until 25.
  • No voting without training and licensing.
  • No voting after being convicted of a crime, being deemed mentally defective, being hospitalized against your will or even being prescribed medicine to treat mental illness.
  • Anyone can notify the authorities that they think you are a voting danger, and a judge can strip you of your right to vote without due process, and every 12 months, you can petition the court that assumed your were guilty until you prove your innocence in an effort to have your voting rights restored.
  • If you do not register 3 days ahead of an election (waiting period), you cannot vote.
  • No more mail in ballots of any kind, as that would be like selling a firearm out of the trunk of your car. No more mail in ballot loophole.
  • No voting without a comprehensive state and federal background check.
  • Every time you vote, you have to fill out a permanent file that records what each of your votes was for, and that file is kept for 20 years at your local polling station, who must share those records anytime a bureaucrat demands it.
No more or less a right than firearms, and capable of far more damage, so sure...legislate voting like you do firearms. By all means. What you do with one, you must do with the other. As a firearm owner and die hard 2nd Amendment zealot, I'd actually enjoy seeing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies