Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 05:36 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Arming teachers would be an effective way of addressing the problem. You do realize that 20 (IIRC) states allow teachers to carry, don’t you? And that none of the schools where teachers are armed have had a school shooter incident or any incident involving an armed teacher?

Banning guns won’t do a thing to stop someone from shooting up a school, but it will make it more difficult for the law abiding to own an effective firearm.
We have already been down the path of armed resource officers and teachers in many states, that is not going to work where you have an incident like this with an AR-15 and a teacher with minimal training. Pretty false logic claiming that arming teachers is preventive for mentally ill people, do you think mentally ill are able to research and plan their attack. I believe this school was supposed to have an armed resource officer by the way as was the case in Parkland so can we forget about that solution.

Tired of hearing we have to have AR-15's available for law abiding citizens.

So the solution is to arm more teachers in the face of this tragedy, complete madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 05:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We have already been down the path of armed resource officers and teachers in many states, that is not going to work where you have an incident like this with an AR-15 and a teacher with minimal training. Pretty false logic claiming that arming teachers is preventive for mentally ill people, do you think mentally ill are able to research and plan their attack. I believe this school was supposed to have an armed resource officer by the way as was the case in Parkland so can we forget about that solution.

Tired of hearing we have to have AR-15's available for law abiding citizens.

So the solution is to arm more teachers in the face of this tragedy, complete madness.
You really think banning AR15s will stop school shootings? That there is no other firearm that a psychopath can use to commit atrocities? Because again, I’d bet money that if they were banned you’d be calling for the next group of guns to be banned before the ink dries.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:16 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Why?

Because were it not for Republican Politics (and the money they get from that NRA) we might make some progress on a gun control bill.

Or it is okay that every few days we have some mad-man pop off a few of our children with a damned gun?

Why do you prefer to let "mad men" and violent criminals run free in society where they can endanger and kill innocents, instead of keeping them institutionalized or imprisoned where they belong?

Old 05-27-2022, 06:45 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You really think banning AR15s will stop school shootings? That there is no other firearm that a psychopath can use to commit atrocities? Because again, I’d bet money that if they were banned you’d be calling for the next group of guns to be banned before the ink dries.
They have been used in several of the school shootings and others, I would never say that banning them would stop school shootings any more than speed limit signs stop speeding. But it would be a step in the right direction to reduce the amount of firepower in the hands of civilians in this country.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:58 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As opposed to Conservatives who definitely don't use them to further the gun agenda by suggesting we arm teachers?
Unfortunately arming teachers, or at least some of them, might be a viable option as is armed security in the schools. It would probably give the liberals conniption fits, but if it saved even one life it would be worth it.

Democrats just don't understand that it isn't a gun problem. It's about access to weapons by the wrong people. Throw in a mentally unstable person and you have a big problem.

Banning guns is not the answer but it's all the Democrats can whine about. It would solve nothing. More stringent background checks and longer waiting periods would be better to limit access to weapons by someone that has gone off the rails, and better security would also help.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:23 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
They have been used in several of the school shootings and others, I would never say that banning them would stop school shootings any more than speed limit signs stop speeding. But it would be a step in the right direction to reduce the amount of firepower in the hands of civilians in this country.
At least you admit that your goal is the disarmament of the populace instead of pretending it's about the safety of the children. I don't agree with your stance, but I respect your honesty.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Because POLICY has everything to do with it.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:45 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Texas should have Red Flag Laws and raise the legal age for possession of rifles and hand guns, require several signatures on every gun permit and extend the waiting period well beyond 72 hours.
What do you think that will accomplish? Seriously, what will it accomplish? What more signatures do you want? Don't just toss out something but show how that will really link to preventing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can you recall a case of a school shooter, where people who knew him said wow, I never imagined he would do that?

I can't. People know they're capable of that before they pull the trigger.

So, that's why my idea would work that to purchase a gun for the first time, you have to have two adults (not your mom) vouch for you, and if you commit a felony with that gun in the first year, those references would owe a 10K fine. You wouldn't have anyone vouching for this guy, so he wouldn't be able to go online and buy TWO AR15s.

And I would ban AR15s and other guns in that class from citizens. Just as citizens can't buy ricen or explosives.

And before you say well if they can't get them legally, they'll just get them illegally. Really? Where? Where would this cretin have come across TWO AR15s and all that ammo, without LE catching a whiff of it?
So your basic idea is to find some way to blame others and punish the innocent? How does that prevent the crime? If the individual is willing to commit such a crime, how does the punishment of others do so? You already said yourself that the people who know the shooter aren't able to predict it. So how are those two people you select going to predict it?

I recently purchased a sidearm. I don't even have so much as a traffic ticket, have served in the military, and have been background investigated multiple times for clearances. Yet the current background check process made me feel like the country I have served for 40 years considers me a criminal for purchasing a sidearm. Do you think making criminals out of most of the country really going to solve the problem?

As for illegal gun sales, those go on all the time. Do you seriously think the police will know?

Why does no one ever want to talk about the causes? There's not just one, but a whole slew of them, all sacred and undiscussable to liberals, but far more related to a cause and solution. Abortion. Anti religion. Glorification of ghetto culture. Dehumanizing education and school systems beginning with the abolishment of neighborhood schools where teachers and students knew each other, replacing them with giant edu-factories where the students are just a serial number. Desensitizing through violent TV shows, movies, and games. Dehumanizing business practices. The list goes on.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:04 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,371 times
Stop trying to let nutjobs live a “normal” life.
That’s definitely part of the problem.
Ever notice the increase in mass murders over the years correlates with this movement to integrate mental patients into society? Slapping a label on some screwy kid and doping them up with meds so they can “live a normal life” isn’t working out too well. You can’t cure mental disconnects. Then they grow up, go off the meds, get let off the leash so they can be “normal” and bad stuff happens. Yeah of course it’s not always mass murders, but spend a day in Walmart or the subway. These people should be institutionalized. And then maybe, after lengthy evaluation and progress, maybe, let loose to work in a Taco Bell or something.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:05 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Because it is a political debate and both sides do it. Some suggest less doors. Others suggest we not allow 18 year olds to be able to buy AR-15s legally.
It's laughable that these right wingers talk about "politicizing shootings".

We've already had one right wing office holder (Gosar) claim without any credibility that the shooter was a "transgender illegal"...

Ron Johnson just said on Fox News that the shooting was the fault of liberals, teaching CRT and tolerance of LGBTQ in schools.

Fact of the matter is that the right wing will go all over the pace with passing blame regarding why these school shootings occur. And if you tack "easy access to guns" to the end of whatever it is they say...It would be accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies