Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 07:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 5,012,037 times

Advertisements

All these problems with shootings didn`t start until Facebook, and years earlier with chatting online, and now tiktok....these things are the problem that are driving our kids crazy. All our family values have gone out the window, with kids on their cellphones, in front of violent video games, listening to violent rap music.
The issue is not with GUNS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 07:54 AM

18,935 posts, read 27,472,061 times
Folks, seriously.
Economy collapse on its way full steam.
Food shortages on their way full steam.
Power blackouts on their way full steam.
Looting and hunger riots following.
Which even half way sane government wants well armed citizens in such conditions?
KISS

Old 05-29-2022, 08:24 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,595,636 times
raging second amendment gun owners are in fact a minority who the majority rightly or wrongly see as more harmful than helpful overall to this country

Old 05-29-2022, 08:25 AM

24,401 posts, read 17,133,047 times
I don't know but dead kids have a way of moving minds and we all know how the Democrats Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste... well there is the Border crisis that they are ignoring..... They are also ignoring the daily shootings that plague so many of the Democrat cities, you know the ones that have Police Departments that were Defunded and the Officers were cast as the Racist enemy of minorities....

The Democrats will capitalize on any tragedy to advance their agenda.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:32 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,595,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know but dead kids have a way of moving minds and we all know how the Democrats Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste... well there is the Border crisis that they are ignoring..... They are also ignoring the daily shootings that plague so many of the Democrat cities, you know the ones that have Police Departments that were Defunded and the Officers were cast as the Racist enemy of minorities....

The Democrats will capitalize on any tragedy to advance their agenda.

actually allotting money to treat mental illness would be at least PART of the "defund the police movement

the conservatives finally agree with defund the police... just cutting money to police was a republican view of it which is of course slanted at best

mental health professionals were the "social workers" derided by republicans

Old 05-29-2022, 08:44 AM

18,544 posts, read 15,542,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
After the events of tragic shootings, immediately, Democrats call for unconstitutional crackdowns on firearms, and I got to thinking about it. Why, as a society, do we allow a political party to politicize a tragic event for their own gain? To me, it is classless and crude, which is exactly what they spend four years saying about President Trump.

Not to mention, there is *NO* gun law that can prevent mass casualties. If someone wants to bring harm to others, they will find a way to do so. Criminals do not care what a law says. Heck, murder is against the law, and that does not stop mass shootings from occurring.

While we do not have all the facts, in the Uvalde School shooting, it has been announced that the door the shooter entered was unlocked. It is a fact that if the door had been locked, twenty one people would still be alive... All schools, nationwide, should have locked exterior doors, at all times. Would it solve all school shootings? No, as it is impossible to prevent 100% of all school shootings. But, I can think of at least twenty one people that a locked door would have saved, in Uvalde, with a locked exterior door.

A few resident Democrat posters took umbrage that I thought school doors should be locked for safety reasons (But, I am sure they lock the doors of their house and automobiles... ). Once again, a locked door would have saved the lives of nineteen children and two teachers. That is when it became apparent that Democrats do not actually want to solve the problem, but, rather, use shootings to push their anti-gun agenda. And, I am quite disgusted with this. Locked school doors seems like a common sense idea that can be implemented *immediately* and can save lives. The "solutions" offered by Democrats cannot happen immediately, for many reasons.

This is not a rant, but, rather, a regurgitation of my thoughts.

Thoughts?
Free speech.

You can advocate any policy change that you think would solve the issue, and your opponents can disagree publicly and try to refute your argument.

Maybe a locked door would have prevented that particular mass shooting - but what about another one? What if the policy is not followed (for example, tailgating)?

It is easy to argue that your preferred solution works and others don't, by simply assuming that your pet policy would be adhered to, while the policies you don't like would be broken or ignored.

In reality, every policy like this, whether it be firearm regulations or a door policy, will have some adherence rate somewhere between 0% and 100%.

A good policymaker will try to anticipate the frequency and impact of non-adherence to the policy, when designing said policy.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,429,713 times
There were more gun laws at every single point in USA history until today. Numerous states regulated guns, from banning conceal carry handguns in Kentucky in 1813 to numerous states banning high capacity rifles in the early 1900s. Gun Nuts are going off a mythical history based in Hollywood movies where everyone in early America and the Wild West had a gun in each corner of the house. Numerous studies have shown no more than half the (White) population during those times even owned guns and a good percent of those guns weren't even operable. There is a lot of reliable data based on state's surveys of militia preparedness.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:35 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,946,919 times
If democrats cared equally for the lives of unborn children I think they would have a bit more credibility. Instead they blame the tools of the murderer and not the murderer himself. Why don't the remove the murder weapons of abortion doctors?

Old 05-29-2022, 03:04 PM

57,131 posts, read 26,101,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
In Australia we used to have a bad culture of drinking and driving which killed many people. Steps have progressively been taken to address this and now our death rate is similar to much of Europe. People still die but far fewer than fifty years ago, despite so many more cars. Similarly, we accept that we have the world’s highest rate of skin cancer. So a lot of effort is put into making people aware of the issue and treating the cancers when need be in an effort to tackle the problem.

Shootings happen here, at the moment in Sydney there have been several linked to illegal gangs. But our children go to schools which have no armed guards or locked rooms. Before Covid people could wander quite freely around most playgrounds, though that has since changed a little.

That is not to say that a shooting could never happen, but it would be just as easy for that to happen on the footpath outside the school where people gather to collect the children. Or where children crowd the stairs down to the train at the station. We cannot guard people completely without causing them to withdraw from society.

Reducing the number of guns would surely be that step in the right direction.
We also had a problem with drunk drivers 40 years ago and a group called Mothers Against Drunk Driving got congress to take action putting in random traffic stops and fatalities went down. Other countries take actions and respond to mass shootings while we do nothing.

Reducing guns in circulation would be a logical step but we are not a logical nation when it comes to guns.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:36 PM

30,037 posts, read 18,623,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
After the events of tragic shootings, immediately, Democrats call for unconstitutional crackdowns on firearms, and I got to thinking about it. Why, as a society, do we allow a political party to politicize a tragic event for their own gain? To me, it is classless and crude, which is exactly what they spend four years saying about President Trump.

Not to mention, there is *NO* gun law that can prevent mass casualties. If someone wants to bring harm to others, they will find a way to do so. Criminals do not care what a law says. Heck, murder is against the law, and that does not stop mass shootings from occurring.

While we do not have all the facts, in the Uvalde School shooting, it has been announced that the door the shooter entered was unlocked. It is a fact that if the door had been locked, twenty one people would still be alive... All schools, nationwide, should have locked exterior doors, at all times. Would it solve all school shootings? No, as it is impossible to prevent 100% of all school shootings. But, I can think of at least twenty one people that a locked door would have saved, in Uvalde, with a locked exterior door.

A few resident Democrat posters took umbrage that I thought school doors should be locked for safety reasons (But, I am sure they lock the doors of their house and automobiles... ). Once again, a locked door would have saved the lives of nineteen children and two teachers. That is when it became apparent that Democrats do not actually want to solve the problem, but, rather, use shootings to push their anti-gun agenda. And, I am quite disgusted with this. Locked school doors seems like a common sense idea that can be implemented *immediately* and can save lives. The "solutions" offered by Democrats cannot happen immediately, for many reasons.

This is not a rant, but, rather, a regurgitation of my thoughts.

Thoughts?
It's not acceptable.

But then again, the behavior of most democrats is a couple of standard deviations away from normal, acceptable human behavior.

Keep in mind that these are the same people who view trannies as superlative people and want to "normalize" pedophilia. Thus, one can never expect normal, rational behavior from libs, as their set of "values" deviates markedly from those of most humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies