Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 05:33 AM

1,213 posts, read 568,081 times

Advertisements

It’s so very simple. I’ve said it before numerous times.
Just treat schools like any other government facility.
One way in. Security to meet you, metal detectors if you want them, but yeah it is so beyond simple that it’s ridiculous. How many mass shootings happen in court buildings and such? Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 06:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But my score of 2 and 6 was absolutely meaningless to me. There was nothing in the surveys about how traumatic your childhood experiences were outside the home. Kids at school traumatized me by repeatedly telling me how ugly my face was, or calling me names like the beak for starters. Girls in high school told me I looked like an abortion that lived. It left me feeling unfit to be around people, because I didn't want to be around people with ugly faces myself. It scared me for life. My parents and other relatives never told me I had an ugly face. So, they never made my presence at home feel unwelcome.

Some kids bullied against want to lash back at the world in a violent way. Other kids just want to withdraw from the world by staying mostly at home to seek relief from the hatred bullies want to heap upon them. I was of the latter. Anyway, it would be great if schools would do more to stop bullying. Not everybody can look cute in the face.
The obvious: So much of the so called bullying occurs online and can happen at anytime.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:25 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is the jailhouse setting for schools is a point of contention between all sides. We cannot fully agree if making a school a jail is fully the right thing or not.

But here is the other side to this, can stores afford to have metal detectors and security outside? And if they do, it just opens up the parking lot as a soft target. Ask former Rep. Gabby Giffords or perhaps her husband. Sen. Mark Kelly how soft shopping center parking lots are. Giffords can barely talk due to brain damage related to a mass shooting in a Tuscon shopping center parking lot she held a town hall meeting for her constitutents at.

Just a head's up: a good metal detector like you may see at say a courthouse or sports arena can cost you $5,000 while a handwand is $150 but takes longer to get people through. Then the security guards will cost you at least $20 an hour, if you want a very capable one. It may or may not be worth it to make a soft target that is already used, more appetizing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Had the door been blasted open, the staff would have heard, and it may have led to a better result.

Of course, to the bimbo, her cell phone mattered most.
Mk, I'm not ignoring the first part of your post. I will do the test later.

As far as the other points go (I'll address BobNJ first) 911 was engaged for a long time. One cannot make personnel disregard human nature, which is not to run into a free-fire zone. I feel that a wand is a good thing to have, so that if someone visibly has bulging pockets or coats, or are known to have a troubled history, they can be checked. Most of the other available precautions amount to theater, which measurably detracts from the functioning of a facility for little gain. As you aptly point out even outdoor targets such as a rally attract enough people to make a target for a deranged individual. Even a movie theater served that purpose for James Holmes. We are talking making all society a jailhouse; not only schools. And even then not getting much safety in return.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
One way in. Security to meet you, metal detectors if you want them, but yeah it is so beyond simple that it’s ridiculous. How many mass shootings happen in court buildings and such? Exactly.
The problem is to many people to get in. I covered this way earlier in the past. Schools have already been made like that and some would have to drastically change due to where staff parking lots are. That and it does become single entry for the most part when the bell rings and class starts, all the way until the final bell. I did cover that Ina previous post or two too.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
*SNIP* and metal detectors at the entrances.
Absolutely NOT! We do NOT need to be indoctrinating students that a daily search of their person is ok!

Old 05-31-2022, 08:46 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Bullying prevention, I have heard a link of bullying with some school shooters and other mass shooters, but it is more of a case of correlation, not causation because the link hasn't been confirmed. I'm not saying it doesn't, but we haven't clearly see that it does. I mean it is one of many Adverse Childhood Experiences (or ACEs) that can cause trauma that may create the next school shooter. ACEs has a strong correlation to school shootings than bullying. ACEs can include various forms of verbal, physical and sexual assault whether it is at school, the family or whatever; as well as poverty; divorce; drug issues; mental illness in the family; and imprisionment of a family member. FYI my ACEs Score is 1 and my Resilence Score is 12. If you want to find out your's click here.
) and 11.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:02 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Absolutely NOT! We do NOT need to be indoctrinating students that a daily search of their person is ok!
You either have security, or you DON'T!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yep but people want to forget this with 9/11...

Old 06-01-2022, 09:22 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
What about the busses? Stadiums? Field trip locations? Churches? Summer camps?

We can't security harden our way out of this problem.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:54 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
No...it's NOT a binary! There are degrees of security. Even if there were checkpoints at the front, that would have done NOTHING for Uvalde since it was a side door that was left propped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies