Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compromise: Only 25+ for Military Style Guns?
Yes 36 36.36%
No 63 63.64%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:40 AM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Except the 2A doesn't guarantee freedom, and any analysis by right wing think tanks in the USA like Freedom House and the CATO institute find that the USA is far down the list of nations that have freedom.

And you know what?

All of those ahead of the USA, some far ahead, have gun control laws. Owning guns does not equal freedom, no matter how often it is repeated.
Doesn't equal or guarantee freedom but it gives a someone like a woman better odds to defend herself in the case she was attacked. To me that is a form of freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 10:52 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Have you seen the prices to rent a car these days ecno car $375 a week I doubt anyone under 25 can afford to rent a car.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:27 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's all about you isn't it? Trying to keep kids from being mowed down in the classroom is some grand scheme to punish you. You're not even willing to work with anyone else because you have all the knowledge there could possibly be in this situation and have come to precisely the right conclusion.
Given that I have never come anywhere near committing violence with my firearms, much less even considered the depths of depravity required to mow down kids in a school, no, I am not willing to work with anyone who thinks the best way to prevent another school shooting is by taking away my rights.

If someone gets drunk 1,500 miles away from me, gets in their car and crashes their car into someone and kills them, should I go to jail for DUI, or have my license revoked? If someone 3,000 miles away grabs a kitchen knife and stabs their spouse to death with it, should I be charged with manslaughter because I too own a kitchen knife?

The "work with others to solve problem" issue here is that your solution is to beat the neighbor's cat because your dog crapped on the rug. Innocent people generally have a problem with being punished for stuff they have never done nor would ever do. Innocence is funny that way, it asks WTMF when people suggest punishing innocence because in the future, guilt is possible.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 05-31-2022 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-01-2022, 11:37 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I know that pro-2nd Amendment advocates say that we need guns to "keep the government from becoming abusive" and for "self-defense" and this is a reasonable concern, though I disagree with it. I don't know about guns to be clear, but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, but what about a compromise?

It seems like shooters are more likely to be young.

I am 20, I can buy a military style gun, but in many states I can't rent a car. Many places you can't rent a car or if you get hit with huge fees if you are under 25.

It just seems weird that it can potentially be easier to get a military style gun than renting a car.

Perhaps to reduce violent shootings, should military style guns be made for only people 25 and above as a compromise against outright banning them?
"but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment"

Whoda thunk!

Why do you think NO anti-gun people have NEVER tried to amend the 2nd amendment and just passed new laws?

" a military style gun"

Her we go AGAIN. Just WHAT is a"military" style gun?

I have" military style clothing. Does that make a military person?

Old 06-01-2022, 11:41 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I know that pro-2nd Amendment advocates say that we need guns to "keep the government from becoming abusive" and for "self-defense" and this is a reasonable concern, though I disagree with it. I don't know about guns to be clear, but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, but what about a compromise?

It seems like shooters are more likely to be young.

I am 20, I can buy a military style gun, but in many states I can't rent a car. Many places you can't rent a car or if you get hit with huge fees if you are under 25.

It just seems weird that it can potentially be easier to get a military style gun than renting a car.

Perhaps to reduce violent shootings, should military style guns be made for only people 25 and above as a compromise against outright banning them?
25 is not a government requirement. It's an insurance requirement. If gun-grabbers really wanted to get clever they'd force an insurance requirement, and then use that as a back door because insurance companies would do the dirty work of limiting age, and overcharging.

But is it ok to sell a gun to a 19 year old if it has a wooden stock? Is that ok with you?

Old 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
So you can be sent to fight a pointless war when you're 18 but you cannot purchase a firearm or alcohol? When the politicians need you to go give your life, then the age is lowered? NFW.
"So you can be sent to fight a pointless war"

So, ONLY YOUR opinion counts?

Old 06-01-2022, 11:53 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Renting cars are not in the constitution. The constitution clearly says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON. They put it there for a reason.
None of the rights outlined in the US constitution are absolute and unlimited in scope, nor were they intended to be. The Founders weren't idiots. They wrote extensively on what might happen when one right clashes with another.

Also, you messed up the quote.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Well, y'all could start by actually locking doors that are supposed to be locked instead of propping them open.
The open door was yet another lie from the Uvalde PD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...r-door-closed/

If they lie this much while under the microscope of the national press, imagine what has happened in the past. Might be worth looking into how many people have been put away based on these officers testifying - now that we know them to not tell the truth as pretty much a matter of principle.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
In a world where Militaries around the world (especially the US Military) and Police (especially here in the US) have killed thousands of more innocent civilians than law-abiding citizens ever have, and where people like you never bat an eye over that loss of life... NO I will not be surrendering my firearms so that you can feel better.

You need to be calling for them to be disarmed first, as they've killed many more and if you can't fathom doing that then don't even think about trying to get citizens to go along with being penalized for protecting themselves. When police officers disarm for the killing of George Floyd and Philando Castile and The US Military disarms for the thousands of innocent civilians killed in OIF/OEF and Vietnam.... Then maybe I'll disarm
So - a well-armed populace doesn't work as a deterrent against police brutality?

Old 06-01-2022, 01:12 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
In a world where Militaries around the world (especially the US Military) and Police (especially here in the US) have killed thousands of more innocent civilians than law-abiding citizens ever have, and where people like you never bat an eye over that loss of life... NO I will not be surrendering my firearms so that you can feel better.

You need to be calling for them to be disarmed first, as they've killed many more and if you can't fathom doing that then don't even think about trying to get citizens to go along with being penalized for protecting themselves. When police officers disarm for the killing of George Floyd and Philando Castile and The US Military disarms for the thousands of innocent civilians killed in OIF/OEF and Vietnam.... Then maybe I'll disarm
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies