Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compromise: Only 25+ for Military Style Guns?
Yes 36 36.36%
No 63 63.64%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 05:23 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times

Advertisements

I know that pro-2nd Amendment advocates say that we need guns to "keep the government from becoming abusive" and for "self-defense" and this is a reasonable concern, though I disagree with it. I don't know about guns to be clear, but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, but what about a compromise?

It seems like shooters are more likely to be young.

I am 20, I can buy a military style gun, but in many states I can't rent a car. Many places you can't rent a car or if you get hit with huge fees if you are under 25.

It just seems weird that it can potentially be easier to get a military style gun than renting a car.

Perhaps to reduce violent shootings, should military style guns be made for only people 25 and above as a compromise against outright banning them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 05:36 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Renting cars are not in the constitution. The constitution clearly says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON. They put it there for a reason.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:38 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Keep in mind that in every state where adults cannot rent a vehicle until 25 (or otherwise have huge fees associated with renting if under 25), that is not a law, but practice and policies by private rental car companies. That's a big difference in terms of process and very relevant to this debate.

Gun companies can decide to not sell to people who are under 25 if they choose.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:43 AM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
It's a silly comparison but I'm all for raising the minimum age of purchase to 21 for all firearms, IF the voting age is raised back to 21 as well. All "age of majority" laws should be a uniform 21 years of age. I think as a society we've proven since the 60's that 18 year olds are still very much children unless they've been toughened up in some way by the military or life circumstances.

I would also carve out an exceptions for active duty members of the military, and also allow for police apprenticeships to begin at 18 right out of high school. Currently, most departments won't hire you until you're 20 and then only if you'll be 21 by the time training is over because you can't own a handgun currently until the age of 21.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:43 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Human Brains are supposedly fully developed at this age.

Law makers can work with this data from here on in.....................exceptions for military ..etc....

Old 05-28-2022, 05:47 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
It's a silly comparison but I'm all for raising the minimum age of purchase to 21 for all firearms, IF the voting age is raised back to 21 as well. All "age of majority" laws should be a uniform 21 years of age. I think as a society we've proven since the 60's that 18 year olds are still very much children unless they've been toughened up in some way by the military or life circumstances.

I would also carve out an exceptions for active duty members of the military, and also allow for police apprenticeships to begin at 18 right out of high school. Currently, most departments won't hire you until you're 20 and then only if you'll be 21 by the time training is over because you can't own a handgun currently until the age of 21.

So you can be sent to fight a pointless war when you're 18 but you cannot purchase a firearm or alcohol? When the politicians need you to go give your life, then the age is lowered? NFW.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Human Brains are supposedly fully developed at this age.

Law makers can work with this data from here on in.....................exceptions for military ..etc....
Actually, they aren't fully developed at this age. There's been much data to suggest the age of full development is around 25. Here's but one citation below. Many, many more studies on this.

Quote:
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...ContentID=3051

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teens' brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not always at the same rate. That’s why when teens have overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:51 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Evidently car rental companies have more common sense than congress relying on a 250 year old amendment. The drinking age in every state is 21 but you can buy a military style rifle at 18 years, sure that makes sense.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:52 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I know that pro-2nd Amendment advocates say that we need guns to "keep the government from becoming abusive" and for "self-defense" and this is a reasonable concern, though I disagree with it. I don't know about guns to be clear, but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, but what about a compromise?

It seems like shooters are more likely to be young.

I am 20, I can buy a military style gun, but in many states I can't rent a car. Many places you can't rent a car or if you get hit with huge fees if you are under 25.

It just seems weird that it can potentially be easier to get a military style gun than renting a car.

Perhaps to reduce violent shootings, should military style guns be made for only people 25 and above as a compromise against outright banning them?
Please define what a"military STYLE gun is" to you.

"It seems"
Instead of guessing, do research.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:54 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently car rental companies have more common sense than congress relying on a 250 year old amendment. The drinking age in every state is 21 but you can buy a military style rifle at 18 years, sure that makes sense.
Should we disregard and not rely on the rest of the bill of rights because they are ~250 years old, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies