Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 07:17 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times

Advertisements

I would expect she's enjoying her time not having to have her tender ears besmirched be the Star Spangled Banner. Must be heaven for her.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:19 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
She is being held for drug smuggling. Russia does not care about her political view.
Read what I wrote again. Words matter. I never mentioned why Russia was holding her or if they cared about her political views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Some people seem to not care if she is being detained in Russia since she had the audacity to not stand for the anthem which is her right to protest in our free country.

I pray she is safely returned home soon
And she was not arrested for smuggling drugs.

Quote:
A Russian news agency has identified Brittney Griner is the American basketball player that has been arrested by Russian customs agents on charges of possession of hashish oil.

According to reports, the oil was contained in cartridges that are used with vape pens, commonly used to consume CBD, nicotine, and cannabis.
What We Know: Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia

Old 05-28-2022, 07:21 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Well, guilty or not, she's at the mercy of the Russian justice system. The ball is in their court (no pun intended). Because she's an American citizen and semi-high profile, I don't think that she'll be slapped around, starved, etc. (much, anyway).

I suppose they could send her to the Ukraine, put her in a truck, and say "Ukrainian lines are 30 kilometers that way. Make it and you're totally free".

Old 05-28-2022, 07:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Assuming the charges are true. They may be but it's also not outside the realm of possibility that they are fabricated.
it wouldn't be that odd for Putin to think Biden would yield anything for a

Black
Female
Lesbian

and if a straight white male went over there with THC in their possession, they should be twisting in the wind too. There aren't many ways to teach privileged/idiots a lesson. Traveling to a foreign country while flouting laws is one of them.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:53 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
The whole "Free Brittney" thing has been oddly muted. Haven't seen news reports of any street demonstrations/marches or any high profile athletes or politicians publicly taking up the cause.
From today's paper:

Quote:
Those close to Griner pursued a strategy of silence after her detention in Russia in February, hoping to avoid politicizing her case. Now they are amping up public pressure, with some of it aimed at President Biden.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/28/s...er-russia.html

Old 05-28-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
She did? Conservatives here are twisting themselves in knots saying that a person is guilty of nothing until found guilty in court. Why not afford her the same courtesy? After all, she denies the crime.
umm, she's under the Russian criminal "justice" system, not ours. Most LWNJ's would at least understand that.

Beyond that, there are some folks that are indeed obviously guilty before a court finds them so. For example, the Buffalo nutjob.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Read what I wrote again. Words matter. I never mentioned why Russia was holding her or if they cared about her political views.

And she was not arrested for smuggling drugs.

What We Know: Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Oh, she wasn't arrested with possession with intent to sell or distribute. She was arrested for vape cartridges for her personal use, while she was chillin' between games in the Russian league.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:19 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Oh, she wasn't arrested with possession with intent to sell or distribute. She was arrested for vape cartridges for her personal use, while she was chillin' between games in the Russian league.
And that is illegal there.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Thought it was interesting that her wife said she 'HAD' to play basketball in Russia in order to earn enough money.

Her yearly salary is $227,000.

Yeah, I bet it is tough to live on that...

Old 05-28-2022, 10:53 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,454,674 times
The left claims America is evil, racist, and has endless white supremacists.

Why would Griner want to come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies