Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2022, 07:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times

Advertisements

I think most of us can see a difference between inner city shootings over drugs or territory where the shooter(s) and victims probably know one another and a shooting where typically one person goes to a place like a school or grocery store and shoots random people. Am I missing something? Both are huge problems and probably need different approaches to help curb the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 07:38 PM

Meanwhile, back in Texas, people are still trying to figure out why the police response was so poor. It's back to the radios. Apparently they do not work well inside buildings

Quote:
Forrest Anderson, an emergency-management employee for Uvalde County who oversaw installation of the local police radio system nearly 20 years ago, said the low-frequency radios that are best for the terrain in the area don’t work well in buildings with thick walls and metal roofs like Robb Elementary School, where the shooting took place. Furthermore, the more people try to use the radios at the same time, the less likely they are to work well, he said.
Quote:
The ability of officers in the school to receive communications “was probably very, very sketchy with the amount of radio traffic in that whole area,” said Mr. Anderson, who still oversees the radio system.

Dozens of law-enforcement officials from multiple federal, state and local agencies responded to the school. Investigators haven’t commented on what information officials tried to relay to law enforcement inside the school.

The local police radio system, which serves a nine-county area in this stretch of rural South Texas, was built in the early 2000s after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, when emergency response was prioritized nationwide, according to Mr. Anderson.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...ial/ar-AAY5wcT

Texas needs to work on their emergency response, it seems

Old 06-04-2022, 07:41 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You do realize that teachers and administrators in more than 20 states are allowed to be armed to varying degrees, right? Have there been any incidents of a student stealing a teacher’s firearm or of a teacher shooting up a school? Have there been any school shootings in schools that have armed teachers?

If the government won’t arm teachers, why isn’t the government providing security for our kids? Doesn’t seem like much to ask that our kids have the same level of protection as the children of politicians, who typically go to private schools with security.
There are too many school shootings but I am highly doubtful that schools with potentially armed "teachers and administrators" have been spared because of this. Good question why the local government isn't providing adequate security to these children and that is for people to be asking their school boards. Your very generous with saying arm the teachers but give no thought if they want that responsibility. As I said before Teachers are being vilified for everything they teach and do but you want to give them guns on top of that.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:03 PM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I keep seeing people comparing this to Chicago. Chicago is a huge city - people will be mad at each other or whatever and shoot each other

Not the same as a school shooting
With that type of logic, every huge city should be a war zone.

Chicago is worse than Afghanistan, that’s why it will always be brought up in every gun violence thread.
Quote:
Chicago has the dubious distinction of having the most mass shootings in the U.S. since 2018.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/chicago/...-s-since-2018/

Old 06-04-2022, 09:19 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There are too many school shootings but I am highly doubtful that schools with potentially armed "teachers and administrators" have been spared because of this. Good question why the local government isn't providing adequate security to these children and that is for people to be asking their school boards. Your very generous with saying arm the teachers but give no thought if they want that responsibility. As I said before Teachers are being vilified for everything they teach and do but you want to give them guns on top of that.
You don't have to arm the whole school just a small % of teachers that wants the responsibility. Good question, I guess we sent lots of money for the security of other countries but not our schools. I guess gun control doesn't exist when We sent weapons around the world but they sure want it here for Americans.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:45 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think most of us can see a difference between inner city shootings over drugs or territory where the shooter(s) and victims probably know one another and a shooting where typically one person goes to a place like a school or grocery store and shoots random people. Am I missing something? Both are huge problems and probably need different approaches to help curb the problem.
Drive by shootings that murder 8 year olds are just as devastating to the local community as school shootings, and I disagree that the problems are dissimilar. Both require a hard look at our society and why we are comfortable with marginalizing certain issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Meanwhile, back in Texas, people are still trying to figure out why the police response was so poor. It's back to the radios. Apparently they do not work well inside buildings

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...ial/ar-AAY5wcT

Texas needs to work on their emergency response, it seems
There are a lot of problems which were highlighted by Uvalde, from the local all the way up to the federal. Supposedly a large portion of the town budget goes to the police department, it seems they’d have something better than Walmart walk-talkies.

One more and I’ll try to stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I don’t know why those schools have been spared either, but it puts the lie to the idea that firearms on school grounds are inherently dangerous, which those of us who were born more than 30 years ago and didn’t grow up in the ‘hood already knew. I lived in a lot of places as a kid (seriously, 32 towns before I was a teenager) and I remember a few of the teachers having firearms. None of them flaunted it, but they weren’t truly hidden either. Nobody cared. What I don’t remember from my childhood is a whole lot of school shootings. Does anyone know what specific crime the ban on firearms in schools was supposed to prevent? Did it have an actual purpose or was it just a random law brought about by mass hysteria?

I’m not saying every teacher has to be, or even should be, armed. Just as I don’t say that every American should be armed. Even some who want to be shouldn’t be, as the event we are discussing makes clear. I don’t even think that it should be mandatory. Nobody should be compelled to carry a firearm if they don’t want to.

I’m not even 100% set that we need to go the route of arming teachers, although I think it’s rather idiotic to have designated areas where criminally insane people can hunt without fear of their prey.

But if we aren’t going to allow citizens to voluntarily carry a tool that would allow them to defend the children in their care more effectively, then the federal government as the entity behind the law which makes schools soft targets should be investing a whole lot of money into providing security which ensures that no teacher has to put their body between our children and a bullet. Even if teachers are allowed to be armed, the federal government should be fulfilling the obligation of providing security to our children.

Because no restriction on firearms that would pass the constitutionality test will stop evil people from doing evil things. No law has ever stopped a crime. Fear of the consequences of breaking the law are the true deterrent for those without a moral compass, and even so there are a plethora of people who break laws every day. Someone who is intent on going out in a blaze of glory and taking innocents with them doesn’t even have a fear of the consequences to deter them.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:53 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
You do realize that teachers and administrators in more than 20 states are allowed to be armed to varying degrees, right? Have there been any incidents of a student stealing a teacher’s firearm or of a teacher shooting up a school? Have there been any school shootings in schools that have armed teachers?

If the government won’t arm teachers, why isn’t the government providing security for our kids? Doesn’t seem like much to ask that our kids have the same level of protection as the children of politicians, who typically go to private schools with security.
A silly and irresponsible argument. A gung-ho shooter who has a mind to shoot-up a school isn't displaying any level of rationality to begin with so knowing that the teacher - his FIRST target who he can take out with the FIRST shot - has a weapon would not deter someone so determined. The problem ISN'T that teachers are not armed but that the unhinged shooter IS armed and has a mind to take out as many victims as he can.

Moreover, as someone has already pointed out, the teacher should not have the burden placed on them to play 'Rambo' if required. Their job is to teach, for God's sake, not to be prepared for battle with a gun-toting loon! Furthermore, just let's assume that teachers are armed and a shooter bursts into the classroom. Kids - whatever the number - die in the ensuing shoot-out but the teacher survives. Can you guess who the finger will be pointed at?

Old 06-04-2022, 10:04 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
A silly and irresponsible argument. A gung-ho shooter who has a mind to shoot-up a school isn't displaying any level of rationality to begin with so knowing that the teacher - his FIRST target who he can take out with the FIRST shot - has a weapon would not deter someone so determined. The problem ISN'T that teachers are not armed but that the unhinged shooter IS armed and has a mind to take out as many victims as he can.

Moreover, as someone has already pointed out, the teacher should not have the burden placed on them to play 'Rambo' if required. Their job is to teach, for God's sake, not to be prepared for battle with a gun-toting loon! Furthermore, just let's assume that teachers are armed and a shooter bursts into the classroom. Kids - whatever the number - die in the ensuing shoot-out but the teacher survives. Can you guess who the finger will be pointed at?
Great, so what’s wrong with the second part of my post? What’s the issue with having security at our schools so that teachers don’t have to play human shields? Real security, not resource officers who cower behind cars or randomly wander offsite on unspecified errands. Or automatically locking doors that don’t automatically lock.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Drive by shootings that murder 8 year olds are just as devastating to the local community as school shootings....
Without a doubt. We just had one in a town not far from her called North, population 750+. A six year old was killed.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:08 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Exercising your constitutional right to survive is not a burden. I didn't know the constitution stops when you clock in to work. I didn't know your surviving instinct stops when you clock in to work. Your main job as a human being is to survive, to avoid danger, to avoid death to protect the people under you, your family, your class. How is that a burden when it should be natural?

Why do you assume this is Rambo or D-DAY? You are not demanding teachers to invade France. This is 1 attacker coming at you not an army. It might take the presence of a gun or that somebody will fight back for the attacker to pause or backtrack. Hell, it only takes 1 bullet to the head to stop a killer. Why would you want to deny a chance for survival knowing that the worst option is being at the mercy of a killer that will lead to everybody dead?

You don't want to give teachers the option or schools to put security. You speak for all of them.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 06-04-2022 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies