Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 11:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times

Advertisements

So We need aggressive police reform. We need officers to be aggressive at all potential threat and to bring back profiling and skip the courts to go to people's houses and break it and confiscate their weapons without due process.

You know this will hurt more the black and minorities. Is this what the liberals want? We had something like this before in New York and liberals complained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 12:18 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
So We need aggressive police reform. We need officers to be aggressive at all potential threat and to bring back profiling and skip the courts to go to people's houses and break it and confiscate their weapons without due process.

You know this will hurt more the black and minorities. Is this what the liberals want? We had something like this before in New York and liberals complained.
Just don't stand around in the hall while a POS with an AR-15 is in a room full of kids when you know some of the kids are sstill alive.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:35 AM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just don't stand around in the hall while a POS with an AR-15 is in a room full of kids when you know some of the kids are sstill alive.
yeah be aggressive and bring back profiling so this doesn't happen in the first place . Just go to people's houses and break in and confiscate guns without a court order before the shootout. Prevention is more important than reaction to a crime after the fact.

Something that the left doesn't like because it will be blacks and minorities on the other side a lot.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:44 AM

1,870 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Who said ban all guns, never stated it was a perfect solution but certain restrictions in the face of these shootings is rational.

So people need these AR-15's for home defense or they need them for a pending invasion of a foreign country, is Mexico or Canada planning to attack. Our $1B defense department isn't enough we need to arm citizens with AR-15's, you sure that's enough. How about an M60 machine gun and some claymore mines for the perimeter.

The M16 is identical to the AR-15 in every way but one, the AR-15's don't have full auto but there are exceptions.

Well at least I got my answer why an 18 year old would need an AR-15, not that it makes any sense.
And that one difference is critical.

The labeling here is 'assault weapon'. Never mind that it is a made up class of weapon. Let us for the sake of debate that there is such a class of rifle as 'assault weapon'.

So what would make a rifle an 'assault weapon'?

- High capacity clipazine
- Full auto capable
- Pistol grip
- Capable of attaching accessories such as light
- Collapsible stock for mobility
- Color black

Would the absence of ANY of the above items would disqualify the design from being an 'assault weapon'? No, it would not. Only the absence of CRITICAL items, singular or in combination, would disqualify a design from being an 'assault weapon'. Of the above list, high capacity ammunition reserve and the ability to automatic firing are critical. The rest are incidental and/or cosmetic.

Am an Air Force guy, so I will use an Air Force analogy.

Take the B-1 (The Bone) for example. The plane was DESIGNED to:

- Carry bombs
- Drop bombs

Then we call this class 'bomber'. The 'B' designator stands for 'Bomber'.

What if I design a new plane that looks and %99 functional like the Bone except it cannot drop bombs? Can I use the 'B' designator? No, I cannot. At best, I can use the new plane to scare the enemy because it LOOKS like the real bomber. We have a class of plane that can carry stuff but cannot drop them and we call that class 'Cargo'.

I have a Henry lever action rifle. The lever action rifle was the 'assault weapon' of its day because of its most famous capability was higher rate of firing. But would anyone carry the lever action rifle into combat today?

It is not just airplane or rifle but anything we create. The difference of critical items disqualify and separate things from each other. The F1 and the tractor falls under the general heading of 'Vehicle' but we do not use the F1 to pull things and the tractor to race. Each was DESIGNED according to different needs.

Yes, the AR-15 and the M-16 are close to each other, but we should be honest enough about that one critical difference and not mislead each other.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:14 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post

The labeling here is 'assault weapon'. Never mind that it is a made up class of weapon. Let us for the sake of debate that there is such a class of rifle as 'assault weapon'.

- Full auto capable
- Pistol grip
- Color black

Would the absence of ANY of the above items would disqualify the design from being an 'assault weapon'? No, it would not. Only the absence of CRITICAL items, singular or in combination, would disqualify a design from being an 'assault weapon'. Of the above list, high capacity ammunition reserve and the ability to automatic firing are critical. The rest are incidental and/or cosmetic.

- Carry bombs
- Drop bombs

What if I design a new plane that looks and %99 functional like the Bone except it cannot drop bombs? Can I use the 'B' designator? No, I cannot. At best, I can use the new plane to scare the enemy because it LOOKS like the real bomber. We have a class of plane that can carry stuff but cannot drop them and we call that class 'Cargo'.

I have a Henry lever action rifle. The lever action rifle was the 'assault weapon' of its day because of its most famous capability was higher rate of firing. But would anyone carry the lever action rifle into combat today?

It is not just airplane or rifle but anything we create. The difference of critical items disqualify and separate things from each other. The F1 and the tractor falls under the general heading of 'Vehicle' but we do not use the F1 to pull things and the tractor to race. Each was DESIGNED according to different needs.

Yes, the AR-15 and the M-16 are close to each other, but we should be honest enough about that one critical difference and not mislead each other.
No it is not a critical difference

Old 06-07-2022, 06:02 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:

- Full auto capable
- Pistol grip
- Color black

- Carry bombs
- Drop bombs

While one side might make the argument that being able to empty a magazine with one squeeze of the trigger is the critical design feature, something that had already been all but banned the other side would say that being able to accept a magazine holding X amount of rounds with a relatively rapid cycle to replace a spent magazine with another loaded magazine is the critical design feature. It is that feature that they wish to add to the already existing almost total ban on automatic weapons

Old 06-07-2022, 07:42 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is a thread about the 2nd in which I will gladly answer any question on the topic that you ask.
That thread is closed.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:15 AM

2,394 posts, read 1,065,095 times
Quote:

- Full auto capable
- Pistol grip
- Color black

- Carry bombs
- Drop bombs

AR-15 can be modified though..the Las Vegas shooter modified his guns to be
fully automatic.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:45 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
"In every lockdown, including this one, you wait for news of what is actually going on and then your school administrative assistant makes the announcement that this is NOT a drill. This means to everyone that this is SERIOUS and also SHUT THE DOORS now. Your heart pounds because there have been 27 school shootings this year in the United States and you are wondering if your school is next. And you see the fear in your students’ eyes and you feel the fear in your own eyes even though you try to remain calm and quiet, to not attract any of the millions of people with access to semiautomatic weapons to your classroom.

You eye the fire extinguisher thinking, “If I stand near it, could I blind the attacker and then bash them with it?” Because now you are supposed to not only be teacher/counselor/confidante/coach/cheerleader/entertainer/second parent, you might also have to be an action-movie savior who turns normal classroom items into weapons."

As a Los Angeles teacher, I want you to know what a school lockdown feels like:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...shooter-uvalde

Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 AM

1,870 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No it is not a critical difference
Single shot vs auto is a difference critical enough for all these yrs. If we ban the AR-15, we might as well ban all guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies