Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 10:36 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times

Advertisements

The cop in the video, who stopped to sanitize his hands, makes me sick. They will have to live with this the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 10:39 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Last I heard, the door was actually unlocked. Nobody tried to open it, they just assumed it was locked.

One report I saw showed how those classroom doors work. They lock from the outside only. Inside, there is a push bar, so they can be opened from the inside, regardless of whether it has been locked from the outside or not. The teacher would have had to go outside to lock the door, if he/she was inside the classroom.
Shouldn't those inside push bars have a way to be locked. We used to use an allen wrench type tool to lock them in our exterior dorm hallway doors. Years ago of course.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:04 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I’m not watching that video. Cops standing around loitering while the shooter was gunning down kids.

Same issue with the Parkland shooting, campus cop was too afraid to go inside. Same with the Orlando shooting, cops did not go in. For the Colorado grocery shooting, the cops said they “were afraid the shooter had body armor.”

Where is the training? Even if the shooter is Rambo, get in there and take him out. That’s what those tax payer funded heavy shields and bullet proof vests are for.
Good points. The problem is 100% bad training. First body armor can easily be defeated. Cops all wear body armor, but once in a while one of them gets shot and killed. Not often, but once in a while.

Body armor doesn't generally protect the head, arms or legs. But if you watch police training they receive zero training in how to shoot those parts of the body. It's always shoot for the torso because that's the biggest part of the body. Translation: we are not good enough shots to hit a small target, so we have to shoot for the largest possible target. It's just bad training.

A common question I hear law enforcement asked is why they can't shoot a person with a knife in the legs instead of killing them. The response always goes something like, leg shots don't stop a suspect. Which is complete BS. The King Soopers shooter that you mentioned was taken out with leg shots. He survived getting shot in the legs, but it stopped his rampage. Blowing somebody's legs out from under them is a highly effective way of stopping them. Sure if a shooter gets shot in the legs he could theoretically continue shooting, but he would have to do it while laying on the ground in extreme pain. The suspects threat level would be greatly reduced at that point, if not completely eliminated.

But again cops are not trained for that. So when they see an active shooter with body armor, they don't know what to do, so they just run away. Because they don't have any training to deal with that situation.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:05 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's almost like they're trying to widen the divide between the public and the police.
Who is "they"? The police did this to themselves, standing around sanitizing hands, checking their mobile while kids are shot in the face.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:16 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
What a bunch of cowards! You can also see that there were 3 different departments there. Clearly Uvalde Police and Border Patrol. I'm not sure if the other uniforms are DPS, National Guard, or Uvalde ISD police.

All of them need their careers as law enforcement ended NOW.

BTW Tony Plohetski is a local journalistic hero in Austin. He's broken so many stories locally and nationally, I've never seen anything like it. He's an incredible journalist with sources beyond what most journalists could imagine. https://www.statesman.com/staff/3546...ony-plohetski/
The families however are very upset that this was leaked. It was supposed to be released to them as a group, with counselors available. And some of the outlets did not mute the children screams which they are also upset about.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Has it been confirmed that the "keys wouldn't unlock door" was totally a lie or not? I never saw Arredondo in any of these clips.
I read that the door was never actually locked. They never tried it. Even if it had been, the classroom had windows and the window in the classroom door had been shot out by the shooter so they had that as well. They could’ve tried to get a shot off.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annakap...testifies/amp/

Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's almost like they're trying to widen the divide between the public and the police.

A few kids as 'collateral damage', no biggie, as long as we can keep dividing.

This whole thing reeks of major BS.

That none of them did jack all, for..how long was it? Way too long.

There's something very wrong with this story being fed to us.
77 minutes. While children were screaming and shots still being fired.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
The cop in the video, who stopped to sanitize his hands, makes me sick. They will have to live with this the rest of their lives.
Yes, that was really bizarre.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Good points. The problem is 100% bad training. First body armor can easily be defeated. Cops all wear body armor, but once in a while one of them gets shot and killed. Not often, but once in a while.

Body armor doesn't generally protect the head, arms or legs. But if you watch police training they receive zero training in how to shoot those parts of the body. It's always shoot for the torso because that's the biggest part of the body. Translation: we are not good enough shots to hit a small target, so we have to shoot for the largest possible target. It's just bad training.

A common question I hear law enforcement asked is why they can't shoot a person with a knife in the legs instead of killing them. The response always goes something like, leg shots don't stop a suspect. Which is complete BS. The King Soopers shooter that you mentioned was taken out with leg shots. He survived getting shot in the legs, but it stopped his rampage. Blowing somebody's legs out from under them is a highly effective way of stopping them. Sure if a shooter gets shot in the legs he could theoretically continue shooting, but he would have to do it while laying on the ground in extreme pain. The suspects threat level would be greatly reduced at that point, if not completely eliminated.

But again cops are not trained for that. So when they see an active shooter with body armor, they don't know what to do, so they just run away. Because they don't have any training to deal with that situation.
I agree with that. I read before that Israeli cops shoot people in the legs vs killing them, who they suspect to be terrorists, so that they can question them and get information out of them.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:35 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with that. I read before that Israeli cops shoot people in the legs vs killing them, who they suspect to be terrorists, so that they can question them and get information out of them.
That too. I believe cops are trained in leg shots in almost every country outside of the US. In the US the metallity is just kill, kill, kill. Which should not be the goal of law enforcement. Their goal should be to solve crimes and bring suspects to justice. It's kind of hard to do either one, if the suspect is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies