Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 02:03 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So ? This shooting proves background checks (which I have no problem with) don't do squat. The shooter legally purchased his firearms.
Or maybe the backgrounds checks need to be a little more thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Ban the manufacture and sale of assault rifles. Make it illegal to own them. They'd be gone soon enough.

That's the best that can be done. Because it isn't perfect is no reason not to do it.
And yet criminals menaged to bypass this.

Btw, I hope then some anti-gun activists don't practice gun smuggling in the black market like ex-senator Leland Yee once did or the mayor of Rochester who wanted to take off the guns out of the street only to be found at home with a illegal gun. C-D got a thread about that. https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-guns-off.html

Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Go to a gun shop, tell them you want to buy a gun but don't want a background check or 4473 filled out. Let us know what they tell you. Hint: it won't be "No problem, we don't follow those pesky gun laws anyway"
It's no different really than how a person with a perfect driving record would be very upset over politicians calling to ban SUVs, simply because the racist in Waukesha, WI drove thru a parade, or any number of purposeful acts by people using their SUV to purposely injure others.

Make a law that prevents people from purposely using their car to run people over. Then we can model that law to do the same for any type of murder

Old 05-25-2022, 02:05 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,418,450 times
I'm 53 years old, and have been a firearms enthusiast since I was legal , and wouldn't have a clue where to find someone to illegally sell me a firearm.[/quote]

Same here. Not my crowd of people. Even if I ran across some one I dont know, wanting to unload a gun. I wouldn't in no way go to meet some one I dont know, them knowing I'm bringing money with me. Some folks will rob you if they even think you have $10.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:05 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Or maybe the backgrounds checks need to be a little more thorough.
That is fine. By more thorough, what exactly do you mean ? What more of a thorough background check would have stopped this incident from happening ?

Old 05-25-2022, 02:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Ban the manufacture and sale of assault rifles. Make it illegal to own them. They'd be gone soon enough.

That's the best that can be done. Because it isn't perfect is no reason not to do it.
They can't do that because the government needs them for themselves.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Is that a concealed license or did it take that long just to be able to purchase one ?
There are three different types of handgun licenses in New York State. Premises only, restricted and unrestricted (full) carry. The length of time it takes all depends on where you live. In New York State a county judge is the designated licensing officer. He/she determines what type of license you'll be issued. Premises only means that the gun can only be kept on the premises for which the license was issued. Restricted means that the handgun(s) could only be carried according to the restrictions that are listed such as target or hunting. Unrestricted (full) carry means just that. You can carry unrestricted throughout New York State with the exception of NYC.

If you live in a county where the licensing officer issues unrestricted licenses you can carry throughout the entire state with the exception of NYC even in counties where their licensing officer only issues restricted licenses. If you have a restricted license you can only carry according to those conditions listed on the license even in counties that issue unrestricted licenses. If you get caught carrying for any other reason other than the conditions on the license, your license could be revoked and your handgun(s) confiscated. But you can not be charged with the illegal possession of a weapon.

You're only allowed to carry the handgun(s) that are listed on the license and registered to you. My wife got a permit just in case she had to use one of my handguns to defend herself. If not she would be charged with the illegal possession of a weapon. As such the handgun(s) had to be registered to both of us and listed on both licenses. If we both had different handguns we could only handle the handgun(s) that are registered to each one of us.

To get a license you must first purchase a handgun, but you can not take possession of it until the license is approved and a purchase coupon is issued. Then apply at your local police station. From there they will conduct all of the background investigations and fingerprinting. You will also need three character references other than family members that provide notarized letters on your behalf. They too are subjected to a background investigation. From there it goes to the licensing officer for final approval who can reject it for any reason or impose restrictions on the license. Typically the only people that get unrestricted licenses are active or retired law enforcement personnel, the rich, the famous and politically well connected. Because of this arbitrary and capricious licensing system the New York State Rifle & Pistol Ass. (NYSRPA) filed a case in the Supreme Court. By all indications it looks the (NYSRPA) will win their case.

Once you have a license and wish to buy any additional handguns you have to file for an amended license. There too you must first buy the handgun and file the necessary paperwork through your local police department then wait to get your amended license back along with another purchase coupon before you can take possession of it. At least when I had my license and went to buy my fifth handgun the police had to come to my home and check to see if they were stored in an approved manner. At the time I had a Tread-lock security chest that was bolted to the floor and was approved. I also had a monitored security system.

The time it takes to get a license can be anyone's guess? 9 months to a year maybe more is not unusual. The same for getting an amended license. License holders are the licensing officer's least priority they're not under any obligation to expedite the process. It's more like whenever they get around to it.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
So ? This shooting proves background checks (which I have no problem with) don't do squat. The shooter legally purchased his firearms.
I agree with that. But forget the laws, it should not be culturally acceptable to sell an 18 year old a gun - in my view.

The question is how do we ever change that?

Old 05-25-2022, 02:09 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I agree with that. But forget the laws, it should not be culturally acceptable to sell an 18 year old a gun - in my view.

The question is how do we ever change that?
I have no problem with raising the age, although if the age to own a firearm is raised, so should the age to vote, and join the military. With how immature many of today's youths are, probably not a bad idea.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:12 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
I have no problem with raising the age, although if the age to own a firearm is raised, so should the age to vote, and join the military. With how immature many of today's youths are, probably not a bad idea.
I’m not talking about the law though, I’m taking about American culture. Even if it is legal, we need people to start refusing to sell guns to people under 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies