Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 08:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You sound like one of those "WALL'S DON'T WORK" people.
Just like a WALL keeps out almost all illegals.....beefing up security at schools will stop almost all shootings.
Most illegals get in via airports. Walls don't go that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 09:23 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So, why not allow them to choose?
No one is stopping them in Texas, but it never should be passed off as a solution. But this was viewed as an alternative to gun restrictions, it is not.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No one is stopping them in Texas, but it never should be passed off as a solution. But this was viewed as an alternative to gun restrictions, it is not.
Actually, the school boards in Texas can block teachers from carrying a firearm. My understanding is that the school board in Uvalde did block it.

Arming teachers, however, is only one way to harden schools against psychopaths. And yes, hardening schools is an alternative to gun restrictions. We may disagree on how effective an alternative it is, but it is an alternative. It’s also an alternative that is constitutional, whereas the gun restrictions being pushed by the Democrats are not.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:07 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, the school boards in Texas can block teachers from carrying a firearm. My understanding is that the school board in Uvalde did block it.

Arming teachers, however, is only one way to harden schools against psychopaths. And yes, hardening schools is an alternative to gun restrictions. We may disagree on how effective an alternative it is, but it is an alternative. It’s also an alternative that is constitutional, whereas the gun restrictions being pushed by the Democrats are not.
Hardening schools is ineffectual unless they are turned into prisons. Just this morning I was out jogging. I decided to cut across the school track, which has one entrance on the side of the school, the other on the side of my HOA. I was approached by a "security guard" who told me I couldn't be on school property. I nicely chose another route.

If I had been armed, he would have been helpless.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:13 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Hardening schools is ineffectual unless they are turned into prisons. Just this morning I was out jogging. I decided to cut across the school track, which has one entrance on the side of the school, the other on the side of my HOA. I was approached by a "security guard" who told me I couldn't be on school property. I nicely chose another route.

If I had been armed, he would have been helpless.
The minimum amount of security we should have at schools is the amount we have at courthouses and Capitol buildings. It’s a government building in which the government disallows providing for your own security. It is therefore the government’s obligation to provide security as it would at any other government building where self defense is prohibited.

Unless, of course, you believe that lawyers, judges, and politicians are more deserving of protection than children.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:24 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The minimum amount of security we should have at schools is the amount we have at courthouses and Capitol buildings. It’s a government building in which the government disallows providing for your own security. It is therefore the government’s obligation to provide security as it would at any other government building where self defense is prohibited.

Unless, of course, you believe that lawyers, judges, and politicians are more deserving of protection than children.
Impossible situation to guard a school with constant activities and then there are supermarkets, churches, concerts,....... Courthouses have one entrance, that would not work in a school.

Hundreds of thousands of school districts across the country and multiple campuses, no way this would be effective. This week many schools will be having graduations many of them outside, how do they defend.

Best solution would be to restrict guns and remove them from people with mental issues, Red Flag laws should be common ground.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:27 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Carrying in schools is a policy set by districts, not individual teachers. Very few districts have set up the programs. From here https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...rshal-program/ 84 of 1200 school districts have opted in to the program:

"But since the bill’s passage into law in 2013, just 84 school districts have opted into the program, a sliver of the more than 1,200 school districts across the state. Of those districts, only 361 people have ever become a licensed school marshal across a state that has 9,000 campuses and more than 369,000 public school teachers."

So, 361 of 369,000 teachers in the state have chosen to participate. The requirements are fairly onerous, as they should be, with the teacher needing a LTC before starting the program, and taking an 80 hour training class on the topic.

Before the passage of HB1927 that allows permitless carry of handguns in Texas, there were just over 1 million LTC holders, or less than 4% of the state's population. Adjust for the age requirements, and it's still less than 10%. There just are not that many people who carry handguns in the state, and the rate among teachers is going to be lower.

DPS statistics show a 70-30 split male/female for LTC permits. Texas Education Agency statistics show a 75-25 split female/male for teachers. That means there are not many teachers even likely to be LTC holders.

There is no real desire among Texas teachers to be armed, and you cannot force them to be armed.
That’s a whole lot of strawman arguments and deflection, as things are much different now than 2013…and it’s great they have a choice. Who said to force them to be armed?

Old 06-10-2022, 11:12 AM

15,427 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That’s a whole lot of strawman arguments and deflection, as things are much different now than 2013…and it’s great they have a choice. Who said to force them to be armed?
What strawman arguments? What deflection? I quoted published statistics and laws.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:15 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Most illegals get in via airports. Walls don't go that high.
This is the level of intellectual dishonesty we have come to expect.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:15 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What strawman arguments? What deflection? I quoted published statistics and laws.
Big mistake. Nobody reads anything any more. Do you have a video, or maybe a .gif file...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies