Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support schools requiring teachers to withhold this info from parents?
Yes, schools should withhold info from parents 2 2.99%
No, parents have a right to know about their children 65 97.01%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 11:19 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
How many of your students have this issue? How many students do you teach in total? I’m interested in the percentage. Most high school teachers have maybe 120 kids in all there classes. I’m also surprised you spend so much time communicating individually with so many parents. I almost never emailed individual teachers wish any of my kids. Maybe you are a guidance counselor with a giant class.
Can you provide what kind of numbers we are talking about?
If it’s dozens of students I could see how this would be a burden.
My school requires regular communication home.

Specifically trans, only 5 students out of less than 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
After reading the op's member information, I am confused.
He/she joined in 2007, has close 25,000 post.
When would this person have time to attend any school?

Joining in 2007 , that would put this person well beyond school age.
This person is writing like he/she is still in school.
OP, would you care to explain?
I am a teacher. A person can't make 25K posts in 16 years with a job? Is that really your argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 11:20 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Can’t you just always write or say “your student” in all correspondence? I think I would do that if it was way to difficult to remember.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:41 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribbinBalz View Post
The kid’s parents are bigots, so don’t tell the them that their kid just wants to be themselves at school. Otherwise they get the peddling in the name of Jesus.
It has nothing to do with Jesus. Parents are responsible for these children. And, the OP said that some switch back and forth. It sounds more like they think it is all joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribbinBalz View Post
Grooming is when someone such as an evangelical pastor gives toys or treats to little kids in order to form a bond for the purpose of getting close so they can sexually abuse them.

This isn’t that.
Nope! Ever heard of the man-boy love group? "Sex before 8 of it is too late." That is one flaming sort of grooming, or say, educating kids about sex when they are K through 3rd, which happens to be before "8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This shouldn't be hard. You tell the parents if there is a reason they need to know. If there isn't, then the student's wish (at least for adolescents) should be respected.
It is hard if the kids are switching back and forth, requiring that they be called by a name and gender that they are not. Also, children like this exhibit more mental health issues which should be addressed to avoid suicide, as depression is also an issue with such children. The parents have a right to know if their child has issues. If they are switching back and forth, it is a game to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Why would a school be involved in any kind of medical issue pertaining to a student (other than accommodation, if that is needed)?
No one is talking medical issue, maybe psychological issue. They are talking children wanting to be called by a name and gender that they are not, and keeping that from the parents, with the teacher facing punishment if the teacher accidentally calls them by a name, not their own name, or a gender, again, not their gender. Because of the psychological factors alone, the parents should know the child is having issues with their "identity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My parents never knew anything about me except what I let them know. I won’t go into details, but having other adults available to help you as a teen was priceless.
I just read about the founder of the 1- 800 suicide prevention line, and why he created it. Some Parents can be extremely harsh and too many teens commit suicide rather than face them. Keep the doors open. If parents aren’t available to their kids, it’s their fault.
And, what if this gender identity issue causes bullying and teasing at school? The parents have no idea what is causing their child to be depressed, and possibly suicidal, yet everyone at school knows. Where does that leave the student and the parents?

Quote:
Can’t you just always write or say “your student” in all correspondence? I think I would do that if it was way to difficult to remember.
That doesn't fit the narrative of what is trying to be accomplished. It is about forcing acceptance for some, and for others, it is a game of one day I'm a girl and the next day, I'm a boy.

Also, transgenderism was previously considered as someone that was actually gay, and couldn't deal with that, so thought they were the opposite sex by some error. Whatever it is, it will require psychological help that the parents can access. I also wonder how often a small group decides to do this. They are kids!

I think school is not the place for this, especially when they change back and forth. If they are transitioning, they need to proclaim on file who and what they are.

The case below: We had one of those in our school system in KS. I don't think it should come down to religious rights, but in the interest of education, take psychological services out of the classroom!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rred-pronouns/

"Virginia AG Backs Fired Teacher in First Amendment Case over Preferred Pronouns"

Old 05-29-2022, 12:23 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

"Virginia AG Backs Fired Teacher in First Amendment Case over Preferred Pronouns"

The AG is a right wing T-Party hack I wouldn't be holding him up as any shining example, this same person see's no problem with allowing a Teacher-Narc Line to allow anyone who wants to drop an anonymous complaint on a teacher.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:24 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Correspondence is suppose to be individualized and we are to show that in part by using the student’s first name.

Also, sometimes parents call, show up, or attend parent teacher conferences.

It would be robotic and in fact against school policy to never use a name or pronoun.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:41 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

It is hard if the kids are switching back and forth, requiring that they be called by a name and gender that they are not. Also, children like this exhibit more mental health issues which should be addressed to avoid suicide, as depression is also an issue with such children. The parents have a right to know if their child has issues. If they are switching back and forth, it is a game to them.
Rather than making a blanket assumption that a gender-fluid teen is having a serious mental health problem - why shouldn't the teacher refer the student to a professional counselor, assuming the school has one? Then, if the counselor believes the teen is at risk of suicide, the counselor could make the professional judgment to contact the parents if needed.

Otherwise, it just seems you are uncomfortable with anything other than binary and cisgender. But your personal discomfort is not a reason to out a young person going through these issues.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:29 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Here is a good reason why parents should know:

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/ho...sgender-youth/

"Dr Lambrese: Unfortunately, mental illness is more common in transgender youth compared to their cisgender peers. Because of the stress and discrimination that trans youth face, they are at increased risk for depression, anxiety, and suicidality. Studies show that up to 50% of trans youth will contemplate suicide, with risk being higher if youth are rejected by their families.7"

https://www.kp-scalresearch.org/tran...th-conditions/

"Transgender and gender-nonconforming youth are diagnosed with mental health conditions much more frequently than young people who identify with the gender they are assigned at birth, according to new Kaiser Permanente research published today in Pediatrics."

https://www.hrc.org/news/new-study-r...rans-adolescen

"More than half of transgender male teens who participated in the survey reported attempting suicide in their lifetime, while 29.9 percent of transgender female teens said they attempted suicide. Among non-binary youth, 41.8 percent of respondents stated that they had attempted suicide at some point in their lives."

If they are serious, they need to be counseled at school, and then the parents brought in to be educated on the situation and to find resources. I would think withholding the information from the parents, and it resulting in suicide would be a MAJOR issue. That is now that the school thinks the kids belong to them.

Seriously, are they dressing like the opposite sex, or is this about pronouns and pretend names? Kids are already getting such a poor education, adding this to the educational environment will just make them less educated, and some can't get much less educated.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:29 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My school requires regular communication home.

Specifically trans, only 5 students out of less than 100.

I am a teacher. A person can't make 25K posts in 16 years with a job? Is that really your argument?
Then why didn't you start you post with, "I am a teacher", instead of "at my school"?
I made it sound like you are a student, which is why I looked at you member profile.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:43 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Then why didn't you start you post with, "I am a teacher", instead of "at my school"?
I made it sound like you are a student, which is why I looked at you member profile.
It was actually pretty clear from the first two sentences of the thread, which I quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My school requires me to hide transitioning students from parents. This can be awkward, because I am required to use the students' new self-selected name and pronouns in class, but I am also required if the student requests to use the birth name and pronouns in all communications home.
To me, it's pretty clear that is a teacher writing about this subject.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
If parents are truly involved in their children's lives and communication flows freely, including parents monitoring their social media, it shouldn't be an issue for the schools.

Sadly too many parents are willing to give a child a credit card, but not their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies