Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:22 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-costco-target

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics:

A 26% increase in inventories since this time last year has added up to $44.8 billion between S&P consumer indexes with a market value of at least $1 billion and reported earnings in the last two weeks, according to a Bloomberg report. Target reported a 43% increase in inventory, Walmart reported a 32% increase, Macy’s reported a 17% increase, and Costco reported a 26% increase.

Retailers will now face paying more in storage fees or issuing discounts to make room for more inventory. The latter could be especially difficult for businesses, given the steep rise in inflation. Excess inventories typically signaled a recession and/or overall economic downturns in the past. Goldman Sachs predicts a 35% chance of a recession in the next two years, while Wells Fargo’s economic model projects a 30% chance of a recession occurring in the next six months alone.
END QUOTE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 09:39 AM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
I've done the same in my business, even though its a B2B & not retail. Nevertheless, there are widgets I simply cannot run out of if my company is to survive, so I've stocked up big time. I've bought a year's worth and have it stowed safely away in a secured barn in Alabama.

There are all kinds of unexpected consequences cropping up from Slide'n Biden's economy...this is just another one of them.

This is what caused such high inflation at the wholesale level...retailers stocking up.

The more a person knows about business & the economy, the scarier it all appears to us for those who live paycheck to paycheck, & who don't have a year's worth of cash reserves saved....which is ~60% of Americans.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
arent those excesss inventory in TGT,WMT,M,BBY warehouses higher ticket items like appliances,electronics and clothing?
They could be sold Xmas.
WMT is selling more half gallon milk instead of 1 gallon?
some shoppers are skipping ice cream and cereal

Old 05-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,650 posts, read 16,138,284 times

Old 05-29-2022, 07:38 PM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Does this explain why a 75 inch TV at Walmart was $598 or am I just woefully unaware of how much prices on TVs have dropped?

Old 05-29-2022, 08:15 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Does this explain why a 75 inch TV at Walmart was $598 or am I just woefully unaware of how much prices on TVs have dropped?
The last major TV technology breakthrough was a few years ago now the cheaper clones are responsible for the dropping the prices

Old 05-29-2022, 08:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Oh the horror. Retailers are having to pay for warehouse space to keep an inventory of products. Just like it used to be. It's about time we got rid of the ridiculous concept of Just in Time manufacturing. Imagine if there had been warehouses full of baby formula when that factory was shut down.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Oh the horror. Retailers are having to pay for warehouse space to keep an inventory of products. Just like it used to be. It's about time we got rid of the ridiculous concept of Just in Time manufacturing. Imagine if there had been warehouses full of baby formula when that factory was shut down.
Just In Time has proven to be problematic with the pandemic. Look at all the auto makers that had chip shortages. Had they not done JIT, it would have delayed the effects of the shortage by having supply of chips. This was part of Toyota's problem.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:08 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
My local WalMart is bursting with inventory. Except in the grocery department.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
With video cards inventories are going up because retailers and manufacturers want the consumers to keep paying $1000+ for them and that's simply not going to happen. I avoid buying high margin products such as flagship phones. Try lowering prices back to pre pandemic levels or close your doors and go out of business.

They are still pushing just in time where I work. Less warehouse space more machines. They lease space while allowing inept analysts that constantly run us short in inputs to seemingly keep their jobs forever and then whine when we take a half hour too long to change over meanwhile the analyst just caused 24 hours of downtime. Stuff always flows downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies