Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 PM

211 posts, read 290,624 times

Advertisements

http://www.today.az/news/politics/34565.html

Quote:
Today.Az » Politics » Israeli general suggests to use Azerbaijan's airbases in strike against Iran
02 January 2007 [01:20] - Today.Az

In a stark statement published on Saturday Brigadier General Oded Tira observed, "President Bush lacks the political power to attack Iran. As an American strike in Iran is essential for our existence, we must help him pave the way by lobbying the Democratic Party (which is conducting itself foolishly) and US newspaper editors. We need to do this in order to turn the Iranian issue to a bipartisan one and unrelated to the Iraq failure."

[..]
By Michael Carmichael, Global Research

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2007 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: copyrights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Fat chance! It's time to let people fight their own wars. If Israel has a problem with Iran let them deal with it. America is bleeding from too many wounds already.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM

146 posts, read 572,047 times
Default Are you trying to agitate?

TN: That Israeli officer's statement is meaningless and I wonder why you feature it so prominently. Are you trying to agitate a anti-Israeli sentiment?

NPR just had some head honcho think tank people on this morning; the consensus was that the U.S. will probably do nothing with Iran because in 2-3years they'll be in a pitiful mess and wanting our help. It's been U.S. policy not take military intervention at this stage...despite Democrats insinuating that we'd have been better served invading Iran than Iraq.

Why are you quoting some Israeli who has no say in the policy decisions of his own country?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Why don't you explain where you got this quotation and why you think it is important to quote an anti-Israeli remark, which we'll have to see is accurate or not, from an Arab newspaper.

Just curious, of course!

PS - I just checked all the international press, from England to Israel and can't find any reference to the statment made by Brigadier General Oded Tira (who is retired). Perhaps you've seen it here and on some blogs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is another "urban legend."

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-04-2007 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: added postscript

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Why don't you explain where you got this quotation...
The link is in my OP and the article states where it does. Read it.

Quote:
...and why you think it is important to quote an anti-Israeli remark, which we'll have to see is accurate or not,
How is it "anti-Israeli" if the article quotes from an Israeli General himself?

It's neither, it is an article on what the General has stated about getting the United States in another war to further Israeli interests.

Quote:
...from an Arab newspaper.
Azerbaijan is not an Arab country.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Maybe, because the Iranian leader claimed to wipe Israel off the map.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
PS - I just checked all the international press, from England to Israel
You obviously did not check enough.

Here is the original article at Global Research.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...articleId=4271

The Global Research article by Michael Carmichael links to a piece by Oded Tira.

Quote:
...and can't find any reference to the statment made by Brigadier General Oded Tira (who is retired).
I can, and it took me less than 2 minutes.

http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/Art...346275,00.html
Titled: "What to do with Iran? We must coordinate independent strike with US, prepare for Iranian response" by Oded Tira

Looks like Mr. Tira does commentary for YNetNews which according to their "About Us" page is "The real Israel in real time" and "Part of Yedioth Group, Israel's largest media company."

Quote:
Perhaps you've seen it here and on some blogs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is another "urban legend."
No -- I read it straight from the horses' mouth, the General himself.

I also decided to look up Michael Carmichael who wrote the GlobalResearch piece. Apparently he is CEO of The Planetary Movement in the UK which is "a not for profit organization that supports the growth and expansion of democracy, justice and environmental preservation"

Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
All of your references are conservative, anti-Israel sources--global or non-global. I checked literate, unbiased sources not those that are contrived.

I am not going to argue with you but I find your very offensive.

You are definitely interested in making a point--however, I haven't caught onto it yet--and it smells.

And, if it ain't in this newspaper, it isn't worth much http://english.aljazeera.net/News/

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-04-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
All of your references are conservative, anti-Israel sources--global or non-global. I checked literate, unbiased sources not those that are contrived.
A commentary by an Israeli General on one of Israel's major internet news sites is "anti-Israel".

Lets see what YNetNews' "About Us" page states:
Quote:
Ynetnews is the English-language website from Yedioth Group, and a sister site to Ynet , Israel’s leading news web site. Ynetnews provides Jewish communities and others worldwide interested in Israel with the same authoritative, fast, and world-class news reporting and commentary Hebrew-speakers receive from Ynet and “Yedioth Ahronoth,” Israel’s most-read newspaper.

Ynetnews is based at the headquarters of Ynet in Tel Aviv, Israel, and we develop our daily updates and features from the quality reporting and writing at Ynet and the best items from “Yedioth Ahronoth” and other publications from our parent company, Yedioth Group, Israel’s leading newspaper, book and magazine publisher.

Simply stated, Ynetnews is designed to be the best English-language web site based in Israel.
Now Mr. "OnTheRoad," do you consider YNetNews, in your own words, to be "anti-Israel" and "contrived." Answer: Yes or No.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
While I think this Israeli general has our Israeli-US relationship a little confused, considering that they have a VERY capable military. Also, we should be at least put a little at ease that some of Prez. Akmedijad's (no idea how to spell) political allies lost in the Iranian elections and more moderates were elected to their position. We need to focus on changing hearts and minds, since we can't keep our military there indefinitely. The whole thing is such a clusterF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies