Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should firearms be banned for persons under 21?
Yes. 58 29.29%
Yes, but only if voting age is raised to 21 as well. 31 15.66%
No. 104 52.53%
All firearms should be made illegal, get rid of all guns. 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 09:35 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I voted yes....21 makes sense to me.

Also background checks makes sense too.
"I voted yes....21 makes sense to me."

I don't believe you have much experience or knowledge on the issue.

Most anti-gunners DON'T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Problem with background checks on 18 year olds their life history is sealed ie their juvenile criminal and high school disciplinary records. The Buffalo killer's shoot up the graduation threats would've come up if they had access to his juvenile or under 18 records. There's was probably stuff in the Uvalde high school history that might have come up.

If an 18 or 19 year old wants to buy a gun perhaps if they sign a waiver giving access to juvenile and high school records for disciplinary or violent crime related incidents offenses only. Threats would be part of that. It's a slippery slope giving access to juvenile records but it would be voluntary and might prevent 18 years from even trying to buy until later in life hopefully at which point their teenage anger has subsided.

Also brings up the issue what crimes or what age should a juvenile be treated as an adult. Planned violence is an adult crime in general. A lot of gangster want to bes would also be stopped if their violent juvenile offenses were able to be used by law enforcement or judicial system.
"If an 18 or 19 year old wants to buy a gun perhaps if they sign a waiver....."

EXCELLENT idea!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"If an 18 or 19 year old wants to buy a gun perhaps if they sign a waiver....."

EXCELLENT idea!
So the bill of rights doesn't apply to certain legal adults?

Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Let’s face it, most of the shootings are done by males 18 or younger. Problem identified.

Now go the gun lovers who stroke their guns before they go to bed every night….
"the gun lovers who stroke their guns before they go to bed every night…"

Somebody has been pulling YOUR finger, way too much!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The world back then was different in so many ways. So many fewer people, less crowding, etc. There also were no automatc or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public. Machine guns were outlawed back then.

Don't confuse that world with today.
"There also were no automatc or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public."
Yes the were.

"Machine guns were outlawed back then."

The law was passed to STOP all the criminals from having them!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
How many people a minute can be shot or harmed by a machete or shotgun as compared to a semiautomatic weapon? Do you think there is a difference?
"How many people a minute can be shot or harmed by a machete or shotgun as compared to a semiautomatic weapon"

PSST, shotguns CAN be a semi-auto!

I used one for 40 years.

"Do you think there is a difference?"

Obviously you DON'T know as much as you want us to think you do!

Also it has been proven that with training and practice a revolver CAN BE SHOT FASTER then a semi.

I've seen the videos.

As was said, "It is better to be THOUGHT OF as a fool, then to open one's mouth, and REMOVE ALL DOUBT"!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:54 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How many people a minute can be shot or harmed by a machete or shotgun as compared to a semiautomatic weapon"

PSST, shotguns CAN be a semi-auto!

I used one for 40 years.

"Do you think there is a difference?"

Obviously you DON'T know as much as you want us to think you do!

Also it has been proven that with training and practice a revolver CAN BE SHOT FASTER then a semi.

I've seen the videos.

As was said, "It is better to be THOUGHT OF as a fool, then to open one's mouth, and REMOVE ALL DOUBT"!
That is the problem. Most of these anti-gun people with these "great ideas", know nothing about guns.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
The mass shooting thing is a new(er) phenomenon.
Maybe start investigating the root cause of this before making knee jerk reactions to guns.
I still don’t get the obsession over guns though. There have been many mass murders committed by other means. But yeah, maybe figure out WHY this is happening and then figure out how to address it.
"I still don’t get the obsession over guns though."

The ONLY people with "obsessions" are the ANTI gunners!

Ans s we have found out, know very LITTLE about guns!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:56 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
That was the case in the late 80's when states were moving to 21...today, its 21 to LEGALLY drink, even in the military
It is usually up to the discretion of the local base commander.

If there is a nearby jurisdiction where drinking is allowed, the usual base policy is to allow drinking on-base rather than to have servicemembers traveling to that jurisdiction.

San Diego Navy base is located fairly close to Tijuana so they allow drinking on-base.

Naval Air Station Whidbey Island is a short ferry ride from Victoria B.C. so they allow drinking on-base.

Military bases in Europe routinely allow drinking on-base by all servicemembers.

When I was an MP at Subase Groton, Connecticut state allows underage drinking if it is done inside the residence. Some areas of the base are Federal property, and some parts are state property leased to the US Navy. Barracks located on state-property allow drinking in the rooms.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:00 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
... There also were no automatc or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public
Are you discussing the 1700s? If that is the case, you are wrong.

Quote:
... Machine guns were outlawed back then.
Wait, what law are you talking about?

There are civilians today who do have full-auto firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies