Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 03:35 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Citizens are the militia when need be. That doesn't negate the fact that it's private citizens with private firearms that the "right of the people cannot be infringed". You want to read the Dred Scott opinion where SCOTUS said slaves were not citizens and could not have free speech the right to assemble or carry arms wherever they go?

You don't like the 2nd amendment then work to get 2/3rds of Congress and 38 out of 50 states to repeal it. That way law abiding citizens will be disarmed and only the criminals (they will always find access to guns) and the government will have arms.
why don't you work to get the well regulated militia part removed since you like the rest of it?

The bolded may possibly be true it but doesn't just say militia.
It's funny how the founders are so brilliant when someone likes what they say, but their words are glossed over when someone doesn't like what they say.
The founders didn't say citizens are automatically a militia when needed, they said WELL REGULATED militia. That's doesn't just happen magically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Go to the range and practice how to shoot a gun or rifle then like I do and you will be. Or take some classes like I did when I got my conceal carry.
if i do that

1) that doesn't make me part of a well regulated milita- that makes me someone who has some training with a gun.
2)you're at least acknowledging someone should have training with a firearm before being allowed to purchase it.

The 2nd amendment does NOT say "the ability to join a well regulated militia" it says "well regulated militia"
of which I'm not, and most posters on here are not a part of. "go do it" as you told me to do, doesn't qualify.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:41 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
why don't you work to get the well regulated militia part removed since you like the rest of it?

It's funny how the founders are so brilliant when someone likes what they say, but their words are glossed over when someone doesn't like what they say.
The founders didn't say citizens are automatically a militia when needed, they said WELL REGULATED militia. That's doesn't just happen magically.
The founders did say the citizens were the militia. They wanted no standing army. All you have to do is read and comprehend, which may be tough for some of you.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The founders did say the citizens were the militia. They wanted no standing army. All you have to do is read and comprehend, which may be tough for some of you.
Where did they say they were a well regulated militia?
Do you think they used the term "well regulated "by mistake? The citizens are just magically well regulated?
Possibly since you just intentionally totally ignored it in your response, but the second amendment doesn't ignore it.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
That won't change the meaning or effect of the amendment in the slightest.

But you're welcome to try, any time. It will keep you off the street and out of adults' ways as they work to fix what the leftists keep breaking.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:50 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,247,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What part of the Constitution did SCOTUS cite to show that it wasn't absolute?

What part of the Constitution do THEY cite to show the 2A isn't "absolute"?

HINT: They don't. Ever. Because they can't. Because no part of the Constitution says any such thing. The only things the supposed "experts" point to, is other decisions made by the SCOTUS, and laws made by Congress and the States. None of which have any power to change what the Constitution says, unless they follow the amendment procedures. Which nobody has done for the 2A.

Why do you call such people "experts", when all they do is repeatedly try to violate the clear language and intent of the Constitution?
Here you go
https://www.theusconstitution.org/ne...solute-rights/

Or here
https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/c...s-citizen.html

Or here, a speech by justice souter
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...outers-speech/

Old 05-30-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That won't change the meaning or effect of the amendment in the slightest.

But you're welcome to try, any time. It will keep you off the street and out of adults' ways as they work to fix what the leftists keep breaking.
I'm not the one scared of my own shadow who thinks I need a gun with me everywhere I go. And i'm far from a leftist. I'm also not some sheep who lets politicians tell me what to think on every issue like most of this country does. You comment assuming I'm a leftist because I can actually read the entire amendment is pretty telling. You like most let yourself get painted into a box on tons of issues politically that are completely unrelated. And these people who can't even think for themselves are the ones you call adults.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:56 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Because I don't need to have it removed.

Quote:
Well regulated means trained to operate arms and ready to be called if needed. The founders didn't even specify that the State is the only body that can form a militia. There are plenty of militias operating right now. I can form a militia if I wanted and be "well regulated" and ready.

Quote:
if i do that

1) that doesn't make me part of a well regulated milita- that makes me someone who has some training with a gun.
You can always join a militia if you want. Here is a list of militia organizations by state You can join one in your state if you like. That way you can be "well regulated"

Quote:
2)you're at least acknowledging someone should have training with a firearm before being allowed to purchase it.
Common sense.

Quote:
The 2nd amendment does NOT say "the ability to join a well regulated militia" it says "well regulated militia"
of which I'm not, and most posters on here are not a part of. "go do it" as you told me to do, doesn't qualify.
Yeah it says the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Not the right of a well regulated militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Who do you think owned the guns for the militia? The state or private citizens?

Old 05-30-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Because I don't need to have it removed.

Well regulated means trained to operate arms and ready to be called if needed. The founders didn't even specify that the State is the only body that can form a militia. There are plenty of militias operating right now. I can form a militia if I wanted and be "well regulated" and ready.

You can always join a militia if you want. Here is a list of militia organizations by state You can join one in your state if you like. That way you can be "well regulated"

Common sense.

Yeah it says the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Not the right of a well regulated militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Who do you think owned the guns for the militia? The state or private citizens?
"i can form a militia" who cares you haven't.

"militias exist that you can join" - who cares I haven't and most haven't.

I get it the founding fathers were so brilliant but they just put that term in there totally by accident which is always ignored by people hiding behind an amendment they love so much. Mistakes do happen I guess.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:09 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
“The 2A was never absolute”

As you see they no longer care for the 1st amendment either, only a matter of time before they say the same about the 4th, 5th and 6th.

And then one day you will wake up, make some coffee, turn on the news and see them saying openly that the constitution is just outdated and needs to be abolished. Some of the left are already saying it. This is why they want control in schools and control over speech, to indoctrinate enough so they choose to vote their rights way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies