Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 07:17 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think Bernardo and Homulka did. Even if they didn't, that makes my point stronger; those people managed to kill many without guns.
The first two known victims were drugged and died from that. The third victim was strangled. The three killings took place between 1990 and 1992, not in the space of a few minutes.

Last edited by cdnirene; 06-02-2022 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-02-2022, 08:04 AM

29,477 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Everyone thinks they know the answer to our problems but none of them have our problems. They don't have a large criminal element, they don't have a country bordered by a narco state, they don't have a black market of drugs being smuggled into the country, they don't have unfettered illegal immigration, they don't have a corrupt government that has gone rogue on the public literally multiple times throughout history enabling severe mistrust from citizens. They don't have any of these histories or issues but think they know the answer to all of our problems. Trust the government, give them power, give them your money and guns, vote for liberals, that'll solve it! F-ing morons.
I completely agree.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:25 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Those founding fathers permitted slavery and did not give women rights. Are you sure what your foh
Unding fathers thought was always right otpr the best?

And if you cannot purchase fully automatic rifles and military style machine guns you already have some form of gun control.

So Trudeau just proposed some gun controls for his country that are not the same as your country='s gun controls. Tjey are also not the same as UK, Russia or Japan.
This is the dumbest argument against the 2nd Amendment ever uttered. If you would bother to actually learn about the Constitution, you would know that the beliefs of the Founding Fathers have zero bearing on the laws they created because they incorporated a means for us to change the rules. That's how we fixed the issues of slavery and women's rights. By Amending the Constitution, as we are by the laws of this country required to do in order to address any issue of rights.

Whether you like it or not, the 2nd Amendment guarantees a right the same as the other Amendments. If you want to remove that guaranteed right, you must change the 2nd Amendment. Period. Full stop. Even the NFA of 1934 was technically unconstitutional because it placed a tax upon a right. There is a simple test if you want to know if what you are proposing is unconstitutional. Ask yourself if you would support the same restrictions placed on a different right. If the answer is no, you are attempting the unconstitutional.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:29 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Do they have a handgun problem?
No, they have a tyrant problem. Look no further than the poor Shanghai residents to see the results of a disarmed citizenry. Locked in for two months, pets torn from their owners' hands and taken outside and beaten to death by the thugs in uniform.

The Texas shooter did NOT use a handgun. Ergo, handguns should be blamed. Canadians stepped in it as badly as Americans did when they voted for Little Hitler Trudeau (and the CPUSA voters checked off on Chairman Xoe). What a nasty little twit he is.

Oh yeah. He'll keep his armed guards.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How do the new laws not prevent ownership if people can no longer buy a gun?
Not all guns are handguns or assult style rifles. There still exists hunting rifles and shotguns. The kinds mist Canadians buy anyway

Not sure where you git the information that people were no longer able to buy guns.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This is the dumbest argument against the 2nd Amendment ever uttered. If you would bother to actually learn about the Constitution, you would know that the beliefs of the Founding Fathers have zero bearing on the laws they created because they incorporated a means for us to change the rules. That's how we fixed the issues of slavery and women's rights. By Amending the Constitution, as we are by the laws of this country required to do in order to address any issue of rights.

Whether you like it or not, the 2nd Amendment guarantees a right the same as the other Amendments. If you want to remove that guaranteed right, you must change the 2nd Amendment. Period. Full stop. Even the NFA of 1934 was technically unconstitutional because it placed a tax upon a right. There is a simple test if you want to know if what you are proposing is unconstitutional. Ask yourself if you would support the same restrictions placed on a different right. If the answer is no, you are attempting the unconstitutional.
If you read what I said it was not an argument against your second ammenment. It was an argument that just because the founding fathers wrote the Constitution did non make them smarter at all things than peopkevliving today and they were far from.perfect individuals.

Its your Constitution and Second Ammenment. I have zero power or interest in changing it however at the same time I do not likevitvwhen Americans think we need or should have the same ammenment in our Constitution

And you already have some measures of gun control today and Americans fail to note that. I had the opportunity to fire a couple of belt driven machine guns on a military base. Are those guns legal for all American citizens to buy and carry with them? If not then you have gun control. Ours is simply more restrictive.

Just remember your Second ammenment applies to you within your borders and we Canadians are for the most part not comfortable with certain tyoes of firearmsin our own country.

As far as restructions on other rights there already are on free speech on both sides of the border but again more restritive against hate speech on the Northern side.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:25 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The last statistics are for 2020 - @45,000 total deaths by firearms, 25,000 suicides and 20,000 murders.

No other country on earth comes anywhere close.
That’s because nobody in the world has anything close to the FBI and leftist lunatics running their major cities.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
No, they have a tyrant problem. Look no further than the poor Shanghai residents to see the results of a disarmed citizenry. Locked in for two months, pets torn from their owners' hands and taken outside and beaten to death by the thugs in uniform.

The Texas shooter did NOT use a handgun. Ergo, handguns should be blamed. Canadians stepped in it as badly as Americans did when they voted for Little Hitler Trudeau (and the CPUSA voters checked off on Chairman Xoe). What a nasty little twit he is.

Oh yeah. He'll keep his armed guards.
Not everything that happens in this World are direct results of what has just hapoened in the United States. Our new gun laws have been in the works even before our last election.

Canada is not Texas or China. We have a free and democratic society and do not have the need to demonize everyonevwho has a diffetent political view. Maybe if you were better informed and less angry you could post a more sensible thought.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:35 AM

29,477 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes I am a Canadian. I saw only doctors , nurses, therapists and support staff while in the hospital. Of course the cost was from taxes but the costs are so much lower. My wife did have to pay for parking when visiting me in the hospital which was maybe five bucks a day. That was my only cost. I do not think my income taxes are exceptiinal high and cover lots of items. No one ikes paying taxes but we do not have as great a distrust of our governments as we separate the public servants from the elected officials.

My health has been identical as a student, construction worker, small businesss owner , civil servant and as a retiree.
Interesting. Like I stated previously in this thread, our Canadian friends are always comparing their high cost of living to ours. Now they are in a higher income bracket, one owns a business. And when they talk about the difference in prices it's on what would be considered luxury items. I've been told the prices of vehicles are higher there as well. Either way, it's all anecdotal anyways. Everyone has different situations.

I'm not opposed to universal healthcare, if it actually costs me less. And in every estimation I've found and ran on our income, our current healthcare cost, and income taxes, we would have to pay more.
Unlike your country, we have a larger amount of people that don't pay taxes, or are on welfare so the burden will be more on those that are successful. That is a hard sell.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:03 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
End of the day - good for Canada. They voted for the guy, they get what they voted for.

I don't live there, so it doesn't really matter to me. Even indirectly, it isn't like the whole EU isn't anti-gun, anti-freedom, etc. Adding one more country for liberals to wish we were just like is meh, whatever. It's another far more homogeneous population that our wildly heterogeneous population thinks can be emulated.

Who cares?

Trudeau has no power over me, so if he declares Canada a fascist dictatorship, communist utopia or Satanic worshipping hellscape, I couldn't honestly care less. The COVID-19 vax requirements to enter that country already put it on my "do not attempt to visit ever" list, so what goes ion inside a place I am am never going to is pretty inconsequential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies