Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 01:37 PM

3,454 posts, read 1,466,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Do American schools not teach how a parliamentary system of government works? I’m beginning to think not as several posters here seem to equate it with communism or dictatorship or both.
Our government schools have become institutions of indoctrination and not education.

Among the major differences between the governments in question, our wise founders [those who framed and helped to ratify the Constitution of the United States] not only adopted as our nation's supreme law the 2nd and Tenth Amendments, but also adopted Article V, allowing for change, but only in compliance with its stated rules, among which is a 3/4ths approval by the States and People therein . . i.e., consent of the governed as opposed to a 51 percent mob rule system otherwise known as a democracy, or even worse, a dictatorship such as the Cuban government is, and remains so because the people have been disarmed.

Does the above give you a better insight into our system here in the United States?

Old 06-03-2022, 01:58 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,548,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post
Our government schools have become institutions of indoctrination and not education.

Among the major differences between the governments in question, our wise founders [those who framed and helped to ratify the Constitution of the United States] not only adopted as our nation's supreme law the 2nd and Tenth Amendments, but also adopted Article V, allowing for change, but only in compliance with its stated rules, among which is a 3/4ths approval by the States and People therein . . i.e., consent of the governed as opposed to a 51 percent mob rule system otherwise known as a democracy, or even worse, a dictatorship such as the Cuban government is, and remains so because the people have been disarmed.

Does the above give you a better insight into our system here in the United States?
No, it gives me no insight as to why Americans are freaked out by Canadian laws which the majority of Canadians want and which don’t apply to anyone living outside of Canada. It’s as if those Americans are outraged that we have the freedom to make the laws we want and not be forced to have laws they think are better. So they bash our prime minister who wouldn’t be introducing the legislation if he didn’t think it had wide public support.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No, it gives me no insight as to why Americans are freaked out by Canadian laws which the majority of Canadians want and which don’t apply to anyone living outside of Canada. It’s as if those Americans are outraged that we have the freedom to make the laws we want and not be forced to have laws they think are better. So they bash our prime minister who wouldn’t be introducing the legislation if he didn’t think it had wide public support.
My post had nothing to do with anyone being freaked out by Canadian laws. I simply explained some of the differences between our two systems of government.

I guess I wasted my time seeing as you want to rant on about how "Americans are outraged".

Old 06-03-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
My post had nothing to do with anyone being freaked out by Canadian laws. I simply explained some of the differences between our two systems of government.

I guess I wasted my time seeing as you want to rant on about how "Americans are outraged".

The topic of the thread is a proposed change in Canadian gun laws. That has nothing to do with the American system of government.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The topic of the thread is a proposed change in Canadian gun laws. That has nothing to do with the American system of government.

I addressed the following which is what you wrote:

Do American schools not teach how a parliamentary system of government works? I’m beginning to think not as several posters here seem to equate it with communism or dictatorship or both.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Actually, you did answer my question:
Quote:

I was just puzzled about the rest of your post.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Actually, you did answer my question:

I was just puzzled about the rest of your post.
I was just explaining some of the differences between the government of the United States and that of Canada, and that was in response to your comment . . . "Do American schools not teach how a parliamentary system of government works?"

Old 06-03-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I was just explaining some of the differences between the government of the United States and that of Canada, and that was in response to your comment . . . "Do American schools not teach how a parliamentary system of government works?"
From my perspective, it doesn’t explain it. My Canadian school days are long over so things are probably different now… but when I was in school I had a courses in Canadian history and American history in Elementary school and Ancient Civilizations, European history and Canadian History (again) in Junior High. That included discussions of different forms of government.

I’m absolutely flabbergasted that posters here clearly don’t know what communism means but throw the word around with confidence as if they do.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:

Truthfully, a majority government in a FPTP system is separated from dictatorship only by the party leader's self-discipline. That may be true even in a minority government such as this one where the NDP is unlikely to defeat a money bill or post a non-confidence motion.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:42 PM

11,153 posts, read 10,733,882 times
Quote:
How will “increasing criminal penalties, providing more tools for law enforcement to investigate firearms crimes, and strengthening border security measures” result in more illegal gunrunning?

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releas...n-control-laws

And what do you mean by EOs? Executive orders? Bull****. As I have already posted on this thread, No Prime Minister, including Justin Trudeau, has the power to change gun laws.

From my post #342:
Trudeau is not a tyrant/dictator. He does not have the power to ban guns in Canada. Parliament does. The Liberals control less than 50% of the votes in the House of Commons so they alone do not have the power to get the legislation passed either. Liberals are counting on the the support of another political party, the NDP, to get the legislation passed.

This not the way a dictatorship works.
I'd be happy if American schools taught how a constitutional republic works. It would save a lot of argument with the "we're a democracy" crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies