Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The ending of the US consumer driven economy that is currently unfolding will take care of the respective demand.

Shale might help to meet the needs for oil in terms of ancillary purposes (non-refined oil for gasoline)
That is a WORLD economy,the modern WORLD is consumer driven...

Almost everyone wants to live this way(not us but we are considered slightly strange by people)

Shale may be promising BUT you will still get in trouble as it is oil...

Oil is evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What alternatives?

What will replace oil in vehicles,plastics,fuels,etc,etc?
Well we can always just recycle human body fat. Here in America we have plenty of that. Besides, think of the interesting topic of discussion when you are at the park and you point to the plastic bench and say, "meet grandma".

Of course one good thing about plastics is that they are very recyclable. Outside of that, if we used oil and even gas strictly for transportation and new polymers instead of power production, it would help. Of course it doesn't really matter what, it does matter when, no?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
What alternatives?

What will replace oil in vehicles,plastics,fuels,etc,etc?
Where have you been lately? You do know about wind energy, solar energy....how about riding a bike or walking? You know, pure human energy? The reliance on cars is just gluttonous, but I shouldn't be surprised, the american society is for the most part an incredibly selfish one.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,261 times
Damn right we should drill!! I think we need to look at alternatives also such as nuclear power and yeah the hybrid cars are a great idea as well. But to me the prime thing is to get off the OPEC teat! As soon as the first drill starts working, the price of oil will drop because OPEC will know we are serious and will try to entice us back to their teat. Let them drink they're friggin' oil! We'll use our own!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
When we were looking at land in KY, there were quite a few of wells scattered about the area...most were capped as it was uneconomical at the time.
Yes, but times have changed. Most current wells were drilled in the late 70's and early 80's and most were seen as too costly to extract from. Today however with oil bouncing at 130 a barrel, all of a sudden, it isn't so costly to extract any more and they are drilling here with a vengeance. I happen to have a test well on my property that was drilled between 1977-79 and I am trying to locate information on, so I know I have my fingers crossed.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,582 times
There will be those that will continue to be wasteful and want what they want and have the money to do so..but the bulk of the world, and the US..cannot afford and sustain this wasteful lifestyle..so in the end it will change for the better. Yes everything will cost more..but guess what...you will have to consume less simple...not every kid needs thier own comp...now we all have to share one! Novel idea! Not everyone needs their own room and bathroom....kids can share...crazy huh? Not everyone needs a new cell phone every year...they last much longer I believe! These are not major chnages...they are simple changes that will dramatically improve the money in your pocket, help your educe consumption..less waste..and a betetr quality of life for the country and world as whole.

it's really not that hard people...don't let people scare you.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post

Here are some suggestions:

1-Downsize your home. Do you need a 4 bed/3 bath 3000 sf home 10 miles from where you work? Probably not...try 1/2 the size!
We are living in a home about half the size,however I think energy efficiency and not actual size of the home is more important.

Quote:
-Downsize your commute. Why live 20 miles or more from work? Buy a smaller place closer to work and/or downtown area
Everyone will live in the city or urban areas?Sounds fine to me as land prices will go down and we can buy our place in the country...

Quote:
-Move somewhere with easy access to public tranportation...gas can go to $8 a gallon..but your bus/train fare will only be moderately impacted.
Only available in large urban areas and then not always.

Quote:
-Get rid of the large SUVs, and mltiple vehicles! Try more efficient vehicles, or just get rid of them altogether and live in the city.
Live in the city....no thanks.

Quote:
-Reduce your consumption for everything = less waste = more money in your pocket.
If everyone moves to the city/urban areas and the population increases there,won't more food and goods need to be shipped to those areas??

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
There will be those that will continue to be wasteful and want what they want and have the money to do so..but the bulk of the world, and the US..cannot afford and sustain this wasteful lifestyle..so in the end it will change for the better. Yes everything will cost more..but guess what...you will have to consume less simple...not every kid needs thier own comp...now we all have to share one! Novel idea! Not everyone needs their own room and bathroom....kids can share...crazy huh? Not everyone needs a new cell phone every year...they last much longer I believe! These are not major chnages...they are simple changes that will dramatically improve the money in your pocket, help your educe consumption..less waste..and a betetr quality of life for the country and world as whole.

it's really not that hard people...don't let people scare you.
I agree. I really don't understand why people are so wasteful & just absolutely refuse to even cut down just a teensy weensy bit. So small, they probably wouldn't even realize it. But hell no, gotta consume consume consume....throw out, get new, waste waste waste!!!!!! I hate people like that, it's so pointless.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,582 times
These changes make a difference..you can choose to poo-poo then or somehow find a negative...but the reality is these are but a few of the solutions that will make a difference, reduce consumption, and ease the burden...then again..you can just keep doing what you are doing no matter what..that is the American way after all.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well we can always just recycle human body fat. Here in America we have plenty of that. Besides, think of the interesting topic of discussion when you are at the park and you point to the plastic bench and say, "meet grandma".
Factory farming of whales...those things must have lots of fat in them...

Quote:
Of course it doesn't really matter what, it does matter when, no?
Unless people can come up with some miracle,I cannot see how America can suddenly become more efficient simply because of how it was developed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies