Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which bucket do you fall into?
I own or at least have shot an AR and I don't want them banned 96 47.52%
I own or at least have shot an AR and I do want them banned 17 8.42%
I've never owned / shot an AR and I don't want them banned 53 26.24%
I've never owned / shot an AR and I do want them banned 36 17.82%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:34 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I can’t answer your poll, and I think that’s your point.

I own a semiautomatic hunting rifle. I don’t want hunting rifles banned. I want high capacity magazines banned. And I want the age to buy any gun raised to at least 21, possibly 25.
1. What is "high capacity" to you, and why did you choose that number?

2. What legal precedent would you be using to deny constitutional rights to law-abiding, legal adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
that probably includes 99.99% of the LGBTQ crowd, and all these kids that are self-mutilating (which WAS that kid from Tx)
Yeah. If you cut off your junk, that's a BIG RED FLAG!

Old 06-02-2022, 07:54 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
I can’t answer your poll, and I think that’s your point.

I own a semiautomatic hunting rifle. I don’t want hunting rifles banned. I want high capacity magazines banned. And I want the age to buy any gun raised to at least 21, possibly 25.
You can pop that gun buying age up to 90 years old if you like. Won't matter. Criminals under 90 will still find the guns they want. You don't understand that criminals are criminals, do you? It's against the law to rob the corner liquor store. Yet criminals still rob them. They don't care about your laws.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:22 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what is your definition of a high capacity mag?? for example a Berretta 9mm comes STOCK from the factory with a 15rd mag...I really hate when some of these anti-gun people (like the Gov of CA) talk crap about only 3rds in a mag (and then look at you like you have 5 heads when you tell them revolvers are 6 or 7 shooters

my Mossberg 700 comes stock with a 12 rd mag

heck my AR12 (12 guage shotgun on an AR frame) comes with a stock 6 and 8 round mag

most .22's come with a 20+ rd mag

and as to the age.... does that mean that we wont allow a member of the military to buy his/her own POW (privately owned weapon), even though they are fully trained well before the age of 21??

IMHO if we are going to raise the age (due to maturity)...then we should raise the age of the other things.. like voting, joining the military, entering a contract (which includes marriage and loans)
I have a deer rifle and a shotgun for waterfowl. Both hold only 3 rounds. That's enough for hunting. I have a .22 that probably holds 20 rounds. Good for target practice. Not very deadly for large game. I don't own a handgun, but if I did, 6 rounds would be sufficient.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:27 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You can pop that gun buying age up to 90 years old if you like. Won't matter. Criminals under 90 will still find the guns they want. You don't understand that criminals are criminals, do you? It's against the law to rob the corner liquor store. Yet criminals still rob them. They don't care about your laws.
Mostly this is in context of the mass shootings. On another thread I pointed out that almost all of these are committed by young men between 17 and 21. Most of them bought their guns legally. If we could make it more difficult for them to obtain weapons, these types of catastrophes might be avoided. Raising the age was not intended to reduce liquor store robberies.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:28 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
I have a deer rifle and a shotgun for waterfowl. Both hold only 3 rounds. That's enough for hunting. I have a .22 that probably holds 20 rounds. Good for target practice. Not very deadly for large game. I don't own a handgun, but if I did, 6 rounds would be sufficient.
And if you hunted feral hogs, you would not want to trust only having three rounds. And 20 rounds in a 22 is great for small game. We were taught to eat what we shoot.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Mostly this is in context of the mass shootings. On another thread I pointed out that almost all of these are committed by young men between 17 and 21. Most of them bought their guns legally. If we could make it more difficult for them to obtain weapons, these types of catastrophes might be avoided. Raising the age was not intended to reduce liquor store robberies.
Again: What legal precedent would you use to deny explicit, constitutional rights to legal adults?

Old 06-02-2022, 10:37 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
They were defined just fine in the law that banned them in 1990's. We don't have to know the definition. No respondent to this poll knows it either.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:44 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
They were defined just fine in the law that banned them in 1990's. We don't have to know the definition. No respondent to this poll knows it either.
That law banned nothing. It was based totally on look and not function.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
You don't even know what was "banned." No guns themselves were "banned" back then. Surely you've researched this to be informed on it?

In 1994 all that was "banned" was new sales of magazines holding more than 10 rounds, and COSMETIC FEATURES of certain rifles including folding stocks, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips.

SURELY you knew this? Please tell us you knew this and you're not just another BANNER! on the left who has no idea what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies