Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which bucket do you fall into?
I own or at least have shot an AR and I don't want them banned 96 47.52%
I own or at least have shot an AR and I do want them banned 17 8.42%
I've never owned / shot an AR and I don't want them banned 53 26.24%
I've never owned / shot an AR and I do want them banned 36 17.82%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 10:52 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
You don't even know what was "banned." No guns themselves were "banned" back then. Surely you've researched this to be informed on it?

In 1994 all that was "banned" was new sales of magazines holding more than 10 rounds, and COSMETIC FEATURES of certain rifles including folding stocks, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips.

SURELY you knew this? Please tell us you knew this and you're not just another BANNER! on the left who has no idea what he's talking about.
Do you know? If so, tell me. Not the comsetics 10 round stuff. The paragraphs and subsections that define it in the law. That's what matters.

They did it before. They can do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 10:53 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Do you know? If so, tell me. Not the comsetics 10 round stuff. The paragraphs and subsections that define it in the law. That's what matters.

Are you hard of comprehension? You still are trying to maintain that AR-15s were "banned" by this 1994 law?

Am I reading this correctly?

Old 06-02-2022, 10:58 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post

AR 15s were still sold during the "ban". They were not banned.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:02 AM

15,400 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I have a deer rifle and a shotgun for waterfowl. Both hold only 3 rounds. That's enough for hunting. I have a .22 that probably holds 20 rounds. Good for target practice. Not very deadly for large game. I don't own a handgun, but if I did, 6 rounds would be sufficient.
Cool, you hunt. I hunt too, with a bolt action .308 that holds 5 rounds. I also compete in rifle matches where AR-15s are used, and need at least 8 rounds in a magazine. Other competitive events I would need 30 per magazine, and use multiple magazines. My hunting shotgun holds 3 rounds, but can hold 5 if I'm not hunting migratory birds.

There's no real need for magazine size limits.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:21 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is bizarre talk from someone who's nation was defeated by the Nazis in one day!
I'll take that change of subject as a tacit admission that the quote is fabricated.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:34 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
My Dad knew about guns. He did 3 years with the Marines from 1942-1945. He knew what guns do to human beings, probably why he never owned one in his life and didn’t allow one in his house.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My Dad knew about guns. He did 3 years with the Marines from 1942-1945. He knew what guns do to human beings, probably why he never owned one in his life and didn’t allow one in his house.
imagine what a car can do to humans. Not pretty!

Old 06-02-2022, 11:56 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
To each their own, I'm the family's arms mistress and inherited the family collection.

But then again, families can be interesting. Dad saw the -15 as no need for the civilians to have that, if you wanted to shoot a gun like that, join the Army (I wonder if it was as much a lie back then, of how much you get to shoot, as it is now). I wonder if his opinion of then was clouded by people dodging the draft......to say nothing of how a man experienced as he was would not see the difference between the military and the civilian. I have nightmares of him coming back and finding me with such guns......

...........and then that ex SEAL I hooked up with........

.....but interestingly enough, when I talked about getting my own M-14, never did, to get more practice on, this was in the Cold War, the only thing he said was that I wouldn't be able to write it off as a professional, for proficiency, expense on taxes. "Maybe if you were a Marine infantry captain but not as navy police.".

We would, no doubt, have a vast difference of opinion for, of course, to me it is a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs. Guns are not primarily for hunting, my view, but to keep the government in check. I don't know what he would say to that although, if cancer (and perhaps Agent Orange) had not killed him in the last century, the government of now probably would give him coronary.

Of course, growing up in my Father's house, I shared his opinion....but as an adult, I don't.

Finally, in the course of our discussions here, I have been reminded of this video in the aftermath of the Luby's massacre in the last century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRLNiqOQ14w

Old 06-02-2022, 12:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
This is another issue we could leave up the states. Ultimately just like how they decide to go against the federal government on marijuana, there's nothing really stopping them from going against federal law on the second amendment or pretty much any issue besides higher court rulings. States can pass whatever they want to go against the Federal government if the Federal government and/or courts don't respond to stop them.

California has strict gun laws. If people don't like the gun laws in Texas, they can vote democrats in to change them or move to a blue state. I don't see why we need to use the Federal government here to make sweeping changes affecting state's rights. Just like marijuana, leave it up to the states.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To each their own, I'm the family's arms mistress and inherited the family collection.

But then again, families can be interesting. Dad saw the -15 as no need for the civilians to have that, if you wanted to shoot a gun like that, join the Army (I wonder if it was as much a lie back then, of how much you get to shoot, as it is now). I wonder if his opinion of then was clouded by people dodging the draft......to say nothing of how a man experienced as he was would not see the difference between the military and the civilian. I have nightmares of him coming back and finding me with such guns......

...........and then that ex SEAL I hooked up with........

.....but interestingly enough, when I talked about getting my own M-14, never did, to get more practice on, this was in the Cold War, the only thing he said was that I wouldn't be able to write it off as a professional, for proficiency, expense on taxes. "Maybe if you were a Marine infantry captain but not as navy police.".

We would, no doubt, have a vast difference of opinion for, of course, to me it is a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs. Guns are not primarily for hunting, my view, but to keep the government in check. I don't know what he would say to that although, if cancer (and perhaps Agent Orange) had not killed him in the last century, the government of now probably would give him coronary.

Of course, growing up in my Father's house, I shared his opinion....but as an adult, I don't.

Finally, in the course of our discussions here, I have been reminded of this video in the aftermath of the Luby's massacre in the last century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRLNiqOQ14w
Outstanding video. I had not seen it before. Look at slimy Schumer even back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies