Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 06:06 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

As a side note, almost all of the responses on this thread seem to be from white folks. Where are our 2 experts on the Chitlin' Culture? Surely they can enlighten us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 06:08 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
This is another knee jerk, blame others movement that accomplishes absolutely NOTHING. These kids graduate from junior high and high school because their grades are modified and nobody flunks out. But once they graduate, then what? They are no longer wrapped in the warm blanket of the liberal school boards and teachers and soon must face the reality of becoming an adult and contributing to society. What will these new Rhoades Scholars do when they are so ill equipped? But wait.....I graduated with a 3.5 GPA? Doesn't that count for anything? Newflash…..it doesn't.

Problem solved right? Another stroke of liberal genius to the rescue. The kids fail in society but wait, the school board and the teachers feel great because of all the high grades and low dropout rates. Does anybody else see the tragedy here?

Ready, fire, aim.

Plans like this create a two prong problem for the macro economy. First, the true lower performer gets jobs over the higher performer. At the macro level this means lower productivity and innovation aka lower economic growth. Second, the higher performer does not have an incentive to perform so some of them will not perform. This has the same negative impact on the economy.

We are on the road to mediocracy.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:28 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Are they trying to make the wealth gap bigger ?

Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Grades might matter as far as trying to get in/apply to a college but grades won't mean squat come time to write a paper or even an answer on a test. Same for a job. Grades might get one a job but it's the education that actually help them do the job.

Grades and an actual education/learning something are two different things and not necessarily interchangeable.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:24 AM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
It seems that the school itself has issued a statement denying this bit of news :

https://www.oprfhs.org/news/1742090/...ding-practices

Old 06-01-2022, 05:49 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Is this real life and not a movie?????? Only in Chicago. As the OP said, the geniuses doing this aren’t even smart enough to realize the hypocrisy that implementing this is actually racist. It’s saying that blacks aren’t smart enough, so we are going to grade them differently to help them out.

How this got approved is beyond me. No wonder Chicago has so many problems……

*Edit: the school is technically not in Chicago as the title says, although the city still has a ton of problems lol. Also, someone posted a link to the school announcement saying this story is false. Let’s hope so.

Last edited by personone; 06-01-2022 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: New details

Old 06-01-2022, 05:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
It seems that the school itself has issued a statement denying this bit of news :

https://www.oprfhs.org/news/1742090/...ding-practices
Good. This is actually a pretty reputable public school in a pretty nice suburb.

I also slightly edit my previous comment, as this school is technically not in Chicago (it’s right outside).

Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The only thing it will do is make administration feel better.

77% of black kids fail their sophomore SAT vs 25% of white kids.

So the GPA of black kids will rise - but they’ll still fail the SAT at the same rate.

Oak Park has always been a bunch of liberal loonies though.
Yep. I was born in Chicago and lived about 30 of my adult years in and around Chicago. Beautiful city. Fascinating architecture and the story behind it. World class museums and performing arts. BUT violent crime rates and taxes are both WAY to high for me anymore, so I like many others left this deep blue city/state.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:22 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
This is another knee jerk, blame others movement that accomplishes absolutely NOTHING. These kids graduate from junior high and high school because their grades are modified and nobody flunks out. But once they graduate, then what? They are no longer wrapped in the warm blanket of the liberal school boards and teachers and soon must face the reality of becoming an adult and contributing to society. What will these new Rhoades Scholars do when they are so ill equipped? But wait.....I graduated with a 3.5 GPA? Doesn't that count for anything? Newflash…..it doesn't.

Problem solved right? Another stroke of liberal genius to the rescue. The kids fail in society but wait, the school board and the teachers feel great because of all the high grades and low dropout rates. Does anybody else see the tragedy here?

Ready, fire, aim.
Reminds me of the Detroit high school valedictorian (she is Black):
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I posted this before, and it's evidence of the GPA fallacy... Sad but common story, this one from Detroit. A high school valedictorian, despite earning a stellar GPA her entire academic career, is struggling in remedial algebra at Michigan State, a class she'll need to pass to take the even higher-level math classes required for the degree she's pursuing in Biomedical Laboratory Science.

Detroit valedictorian settling into her first semester of state school college needs massive remedial support

Old 06-01-2022, 06:23 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Doesn't matter .

If this race based grading system pushes a student falsely to the head of the class and eventually lands the student a lucrative job.

........ Regardless of race... dummies are all around us.

The employer will eventually discover and replace the weak and supposedly promising employee.

The one that really loses out is the school fronting the phony intellects.

Businesses will shy away from hiring from schools employing such practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies