Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:47 PM

148 posts, read 113,410 times

Advertisements

If you've ever flown on a foreign based airline, I'm sure you've noticed that the service is better and the flight attendants are younger, more attentive, and more polite.

Most US based airlines have terrible service and flight attendants that are 45 or older are act like they have a chip on their shoulder. It's especially worse on international routes because US based airlines assign more senior flight attendants to these routes. My most recent flight to London on United had nothing but 45 or older flight attendants and one of them was hateful to everyone she came in contact with.

I'm wondering why most US airline flight attendants are older and most foreign airlines have younger FAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 10:00 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Yup

Old 05-31-2022, 10:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
US execs looking to squeeze more for themselves and dont want to doll out more for younger more polite attendants.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:37 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
US execs looking to squeeze more for themselves and dont want to doll out more for younger more polite attendants.
Haha! The exact opposite. Executives would love to fire older flight attendants. They can't do that with labor laws and unions. Foreign companies don't have those obstacles.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:58 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
I once had a 60+ flight attendant on a defunct American carrier (now part of Delta). She was legendary in the awful category.

Insulting, Unhygienic, Nasty, Lazy, and just generally Pathetic.

The airline did not care. Both I and the other woman on my side of the business class cabin wrote letters to the airline. (We exchanged info upon arrival -- because of this FA from hell). She called this other passenger a bxxtch to her face. In Business Class. To a customer. LOL.

Ladybird Demon Stewardess is certainly dead and buried by now, but I seriously would have avoided that airline for European flights based on that experience.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:05 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
The working conditions are horrible. The pay is low. And the American passenger doesn’t care. When the holidays arrive, people flock to the airports by the millions and nothing deters them. Not even bad service (which by now became standard). It’s the new normal and is here to stay.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:11 AM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
Originally Stewardesses were also Registered Nurses. that meant they had to be smarter than average.. That was because there were issues of people having panic attacks on planes. That was the standard until WW TWO when nurses were needed for the war effort. So the Airlines lowered the standard and had other women doing the job. After WW Two the airlines saw no need to have nurses and the lowered standard stuck. Since then they have been lower the standard over and over and then letting men do it. Now the training is minimal and they take who they can get to keep costs down. So some of them are not the sharpest pencils in the box. Add to that all of the SOB passengers and it is no wonder the Flight attendants lose their cool. I have yet to get on a plane and to see a nasty flight attendant UNTIL some passenger starts to be a jerk. IMHO I would lose my cool a lot faster than the flight attendants. I would probably be fired the first time I lost it. Watch yourself and see who starts it all off.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:15 AM

866 posts, read 319,521 times
I can't imagine dealing with the American "public". There are going to be multiple crazy people of all types on every flight.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:26 AM

610 posts, read 263,870 times
I fly Delta very regularly and have not had any issues. There was one on a flight from Fort Lauderdale that was over the top with mask enforcement (walking up and down the aisle with a sign continuously) but that was just funny to me, not rude.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:30 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
I can't imagine dealing with the American "public". There are going to be multiple crazy people of all types on every flight.
Im sure being treated like cattle prior to boarding has nothing to do with peoples behavior.

Its okay though, no matter how ****ty airlines treat people they'll get bailed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies