Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 10:57 AM

5,930 posts, read 2,760,378 times

Advertisements

Cancelling debt is an INFLATIONARY policy.

Money that would've been used to pay off debt, is now redirected towards buying other goods and services. More money chasing after fewer goods is the definition of inflation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 12:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Yes, it was all a big scam. That’s why they are getting relief. I’m glad you understand.
It's not the governments job to bail people out who make bad decisions. I'm not glad that you refuse to get it.
Nothing in the Constitution gives them the authority to do so. Instead of trying to be clever why don't you educate yourself on the roll of government. Something that obviously wasn't taught to you in school.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:23 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-000-borrowers

QUOTE FOR ABOVE LINK, my italics and bold: The Biden administration is offering a new round of student loan debt relief for more than half a million borrowers who were students of Corinthian Colleges.

The action will see $5.8 billion in full loan discharges for 560,000 borrowers, marking the single largest loan discharge in the history of the Department of Education, and brings the total student debt relief extended by the administration to $25 billion.

[snip]

"This is a major problem facing younger Americans, but it's also obviously a potential huge win for President Biden after [Sen. Joe] Manchin (D-WV) blocked him from addressing voting rights," one official said. "The party needs black voters to turn out at 2020 levels to hold on to congressional majorities, which will be essential to furthering the president's economic agenda. Two birds, one stone."

Fiscal conservatives, however, predict that Biden's loan relief could exacerbate already historic inflation, and elected Republicans have stated that the initiative should be viewed as an outright bribe heading into the midterm elections.
[END QUOTE]

So do you think this will bring the Democrats more total votes or fewer total votes?

And do you view this as a "bribe" or that it is done out of genuine concern for younger people burdened withs student debit or something else?
So only black students get loan relief? What about my kids who didn’t qualify for the grants and are struggling? This is bull crap!

Old 06-03-2022, 06:27 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not the governments job to bail people out who make bad decisions. I'm not glad that you refuse to get it.
Nothing in the Constitution gives them the authority to do so. Instead of trying to be clever why don't you educate yourself on the roll of government. Something that obviously wasn't taught to you in school.
I’d argue that the government loaned them the money without checking to see if the borrowers were worthy, nor if the schools were scams. No different than Chase when they forgive any charges that are fraudulently made on my credit card.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:11 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
It's like in his mind that's the only schools that are sleazy. Better hope he adds more schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should the government forgive (pay for) any loans (with taxpayer money).... they (the students) SIGNED A CONTRACT for that loan...its their JOB (responsibility) to pay that loan, not us taxpayers giving them a free ride

no more handouts...no more bailouts
How is it a handout when college is a real challenge to even pass and often can make life more difficult having a degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
This should be a lesson taught in high schools or at home.
Yes sadly the opposite happens. We are encouraged to seek higher education when we really should be advised to consider other paths. Junior and senior year of high school is like one big infomercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post

The "excuse" I hear with this case is that "Oh, well the school defrauded them". My response is...And?

People make bad decisions every day. Companies always try and make their product look as pleasing as possible. If you buy a car that you end up not liking or not having everything you "thought" it would be. Does the government come in and pay off your loan?

In this case, I am a bit torn. While I don't agree with blanket forgiveness. If a borrower can show a true issue in the loan and does not have the ability to pay, I would be more agreeable to forgive their loan. But someone who has the ability to pay the loan...should be paying.
You guys always equate this with cars but in every case you leave with an operable vehicle.

The ones who can't pay it off should take priority. However no one should have to pay off loans for a degree that is a meaningless piece of paper. It's not just about ability it's about principle.

Quote:
1. They preyed on poor, uneducated students and GI Bill vets. I remember watching Jerry Springer one day, and counting all the ads for schools like this… nearly every ad (about 40+ during one show) was for these types of colleges. That was their demographic.

2. They made outlandish promises to desperate students they knew were untrue. There was no job placement assistance, and you would never make the salaries they promised when enrolling in the CNA/dental assistant/medical billing/etc classes.

3. These schools went out of business, and the credits are non-transferable. Very few, if any, colleges or universities will accept these credits from people who try to transfer in.
Okay so number 3 makes these colleges special, however just because a school is still is in business it doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So why do Joe and Jane taxpayers have to bail them out? Shouldn't the colleges' stakeholders be liable for paying for it instead? Go after them. Seize their assets.
I guess because it's more difficult to go after them. The ideal is for the school in question to pay but in some cases it's easier to get taxpayers to bail because it's collective. Putting the loan on one person when they may not have it to spare is a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post

Money that would've been used to pay off debt, is now redirected towards buying other goods and services. More money chasing after fewer goods is the definition of inflation!
It probably is but I don't know why because no one's making money they are just being forgiven of a debt.

Quote:
I’d argue that the government loaned them the money without checking to see if the borrowers were worthy, nor if the schools were scams. No different than Chase when they forgive any charges that are fraudulently made on my credit card.
This is a good point. It's the government's job to keep its citizens safe from all types of harm and that includes financial. Unfortunately they often don't do their job with this. If they don't protect us from small business scams then why would they do anything about something with a bigger cost involved?

Old 06-04-2022, 09:55 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,150,103 times
Nice way to encourage personal responsibility...
This action is in perfect lockstep with what this administration endorses.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:06 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I’m sure a majority were liberal arts degrees not with the paper they were printed on. Four years, $100k+ later and you have a degree in philosophy from University of XYZ, and no job prospects.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:23 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post

The only way to stop it is to drastically increase production. Unfortunately the left has no interest in the demand side of the equation. That’s why it’s always more expensive to live in democrat controlled areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies