Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 08:10 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I loathe to put blame on parents but I do agree they have some responsibility in their children's mental health. You can’t just throw up your hands and point to Biden. In many ways it is a parent’s responsibility to raise resilient and mentally healthy children. Some are naturally less able to cope but that only means it takes more work. Covid was tough on some kids- forcing you to be a better parent and put in a lot more work in psychiatric interventions, finding outlets that work, helping with school work, taking more time n quality family outings.
The good news on this is that your children will learn to cope with adversity by going through it. I truly believe overcoming tough situations make you stronger.
On a similar note, does anyone know the number in increase suicide deaths for children and teens during the pandemic? The stats I’ve seen show percentages but I’m interested in numbers. Everyone is bringing up the huge numbers of suicides and I just can’t find that number - year over year would be helpful. Thanks.
There was a 51% increase in suicide attempts in teen girls during the pandemic according to the CDC. Just because they were unsuccessful does not make it any less alarming.

I don’t know the numbers but there is an obvious rise in teen violence post pandemic. People working in schools will tell you this and if you live in a major city, you’ll see evidence of it on the news, it’s mostly gun violence, and it’s notably worse than pre pandemic.

https://www.cpr.org/2021/12/03/auror...ence-pandemic/
Quote:
After 16 young people were shot in a mere 20 days last month in Aurora, community leaders, kids, school officials and police officers see the violence as a symptom of one critical problem: the kids, particularly the boys, need more support.

Blame it on the pandemic, blame it on social media, blame it on bullying, but it’s clear that the rash in violence — particularly among juveniles, who are both perpetrators and victims — is connected to a larger crisis of isolation, trauma and ongoing needs that were likely exacerbated by 18 months away from critical supports, including school.
Even parents who are supportive and do everything you say a responsible parent must do had kids who ended up deeply depressed due to pandemic restrictions, the lack of normal human interaction, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 08:10 AM

203 posts, read 72,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Is this your Mother Theresa moment?
Yes, which is sad. I'm usually not the first person to be so empathetic, but so many people allowed their fear cloud their humanity.

Quote:
All your empathy as you jet setted around the world during the pandemic?
Pandemic is just a word, as far as I'm concerned, this virus is no big deal. I never seemed to have caught it, colds have affected me more. But I will allow that I'm just healthier than most of you.

Quote:
Schools are nothing more than babysitting outlets for parents. Covid proved that. Real parents that want to recognize their offspring in a crowd will sacrifice and one parent will stay home and raise the kids. Again, the pandemic was something that was never experienced. Only a fool would think that mistakes wouldn't be made in uncharted territory such as this. Learn from it and move on. And, be prepared for the next. Government is notorious for screwing things up...I'm amused that people like yourself are surprised.
Talking points aside - you seem to not realize how working class parents live. They work from the morning they get up to the time they arrive. They don't have time for raising their kids, just enough time to get money for their kids.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Is this your Mother Theresa moment? All your empathy as you jet setted around the world during the pandemic? Schools are nothing more than babysitting outlets for parents. Covid proved that. Real parents that want to recognize their offspring in a crowd will sacrifice and one parent will stay home and raise the kids. Again, the pandemic was something that was never experienced. Only a fool would think that mistakes wouldn't be made in uncharted territory such as this. Learn from it and move on. And, be prepared for the next. Government is notorious for screwing things up...I'm amused that people like yourself are surprised.
Schools are definitely not just babysitting outlets for parents.

I really think you should read the article again. They knew early on that these measures would cause more damage than benefit and they did them anyway. No excuses.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:15 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Me thinks you’re being extremely disingenuous and can’t own up to the harm you supported/support..
Being disingenuous is pretending to be sympathetic to children while all along only trying to further your agenda of perpetual covid discontent. I don't own anything that I have not bought. I'm exposing you for what you are.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Being disingenuous is pretending to be sympathetic to children while all along only trying to further your agenda of perpetual covid discontent. I don't own anything that I have not bought. I'm exposing you for what you are.

Thanks for proving my point. Nothing you’re saying about me applies to me. All you have is personal attacks, I suspect to deflect from taking any responsibility for being on board with all of this harm. Sad.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
Drug overdoses, mainly in teens/20 somethings reached a record high. Most of these are really suicides.
Do you have numbers? By age, by cause of death.
All I hear is “record high”, “huge increase”.
I’m more interested in the raw data.
Thanks

Old 06-03-2022, 08:47 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
There was a 51% increase in suicide attempts in teen girls during the pandemic according to the CDC. Just because they were unsuccessful does not make it any less alarming.

I don’t know the numbers but there is an obvious rise in teen violence post pandemic. People working in schools will tell you this and if you live in a major city, you’ll see evidence of it on the news, it’s mostly gun violence, and it’s notably worse than pre pandemic.

https://www.cpr.org/2021/12/03/auror...ence-pandemic/

Even parents who are supportive and do everything you say a responsible parent must do had kids who ended up deeply depressed due to pandemic restrictions, the lack of normal human interaction, etc.
Do you have the numbers? Not the percentages.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:55 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point. Nothing you’re saying about me applies to me. All you have is personal attacks, I suspect to deflect from taking any responsibility for being on board with all of this harm. Sad.
Nothing personal, I'm not attacking you. But, you took the liberty to say I support something that I don't.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Do you have the numbers? Not the percentages.
Have you tried looking for them?

Old 06-03-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Nothing personal, I'm not attacking you. But, you took the liberty to say I support something that I don't.
You didn’t support schools going remote and mass masking of kids long term? Did you push back on it?

If so, my bad.

I do believe those were personal attacks you made towards me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies