Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:28 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times

Advertisements

it's said to be cancelling that business.

Thread after thread here keep referring to businesses as "woke" and how the far right is going to boycott them, but then there are threads crying about cancel culture if the left boycotts a business that supports their views. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 03:33 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Boycott all you want. Just dont obstruct. Or incite trouble. Ok? Lefties cancel culture seems to come with threats of violence, arson etc.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Boycott all you want. Just dont obstruct. Or incite trouble. Ok? Lefties cancel culture seems to come with threats of violence, arson etc.
Got an example of that?

Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
it's said to be cancelling that business.

Thread after thread here keep referring to businesses as "woke" and how the far right is going to boycott them, but then there are threads crying about cancel culture if the left boycotts a business that supports their views. What's up with that?
Cancel culture and boycotting a business because one disagrees with their views are two different things, imo.

As I understand it, boycotting a business only (possibly) affects their profits. Censoring someone's views is an attack on free speech.

To put it another way, boycotts affect business profits, while cancel culture affects one's ability to express one's opinion without fear of repercussions to one's personal and possible financial life. (Again, this is how I view it, anyway.)

I personally don't have any problem with boycotting anyone business. People have the right to spend their money however they choose unless it is to buy or do something that's illegal.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Got an example of that?
There aren't any examples. It's like a parallel universe where it's acceptable for the right to boycott (and that's what they call it) but the left isn't allowed because then it's considered cancelling. Totally hypocritical. Now you'll see insults towards me because they seriously can't see that those two things are exactly the same thing, but labeled completely differently.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:44 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Boycott sends a message that is, by design, temporary. Cancel is permanent. Boycott wants change, cancel wants it gone.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Cancel culture and boycotting a business because one disagrees with their views are two different things, imo.

As I understand it, boycotting a business only (possibly) affects their profits. Censoring someone's views is an attack on free speech.

To put it another way, boycotts affect business profits, while cancel culture affects one's ability to express one's opinion without fear of repercussions to one's personal and possible financial life. (Again, this is how I view it, anyway.)

I personally don't have any problem with boycotting anyone business. People have the right to spend their money however they choose unless it is to buy or do something that's illegal.
I agree. But many here toss out the term "cancel" anytime the left says they won't patronize a business for whatever their reason is. But recently have been saying they are going to boycott a business (Disney, NASCAR, CMA) because their beliefs don't align with their beliefs. When the left does it, suddenly everything is "cancel culture". That's all my point is.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:51 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Got an example of that?
I guess this may not exactly fit the definition of cancel culture. Im sure we could dig up plenty of threats against conservatives. Just hit the webs, or wait a few days. Surely we'll have some fresh material.
Quote:
DHS preparing for violence following abortion ruling

Old 06-03-2022, 03:53 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Boycott a business that has values that you disagree with. No problem. I have a problem with personally cancelling someone who can't otherwise make a living. Unless they do something like rape someone.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
the same reason the rights white house mob was called and insurrection and the lefts attacks and take over of cities was called frustration.

Nobody cares about the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies