Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:18 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The Confederacy was never a functional country and lasted a shorter time period than most sitcoms. Why should I worry about disposing of its Remnants?
And even further, the Confederate flag represents a cause rooted in preserving slavery. Alexander H. Stephens, the Confederate VP, said that the cornerstone of the Confederacy was slavery and Blacks being inferior and therefore fit for only slavery. That is what the Confederate flag represents.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:20 PM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I’m perfectly fine with the Confederate flag being banned. If some people are seriously offended by it, then yes, let’s ban it.

But I find the BLM and LGBT flags much more offensive than I do the Confederate flag.

So when can I get resolution on that? When will those flags be banned? After all, many people find both of those flags incredibly offensive.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:22 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m perfectly fine with the Confederate flag being banned. If some people are seriously offended by it, then yes, let’s ban it.

But I find the BLM and LGBT flags much more offensive than I do the Confederate flag.

So when can I get resolution on that? When will those flags be banned? After all, many people find both of those flags incredibly offensive.
Yep.

Another example of leftist hypocrisy. Offense only matters when certain people are offended. Otherwise offense is bigotry.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:24 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Sounds good to me. Not that I'd attend a country music festival, but ...

What does the Confederate flag have to do with country music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I see a Confederate flag, I think of the Confederate cause, I think of the bigots who marched AGAINST integration, I think about the Confederates who fought to keep slavery.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A hundred sixty years ago, what we call the confederate flag was a battle flag for CSA forces. Forty years ago, the "confederate" flag had morphed into something different--sort of a "I'm rebellious" flag or anti-government flag.
Which is exactly what it meant in the 1860s - rebellion, anti-government. Nothing has changed about the Confederate flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I get not wanting to promote "hate" but when does censorship step over the line to violation of first amendment rights? They are a private company and can ban whatever they want, and the citizens can vote with their wallets I suppose.
When it's the government saying you can't fly the Confederate flag. A private organization operating a private event has the right to prohibit whatever it pleases within the law.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:27 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
LOL.
"behavior that causes one of our attendees to fear for their personal safety will not be tolerated"

What a bunch of wussies we have become.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:36 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
The Confederate flag is the battle flag of an enemy state, and has no place on US soil.

Museums being the only exception.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:45 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Which is exactly what it meant in the 1860s - rebellion, anti-government. Nothing has changed about the Confederate flag.
Sure it has. The "nation" that flew it ceased to exist over a hundred fifty years ago. And that particular flag was not "anti-government" when it was flown by the confederate army. The confederate army was not anti-government. The confederacy itself had essentially proclaimed themselves a new nation and were (in their eyes) fighting a war against a belligerent foreign power. It wasn't a group of people seeking to overthrow the government, it was a group of people wishing to break away from the United States entirely.

I have no idea how old you are, but I'm telling you right now because I lived through it: that flag was NOT flown at concerts as a statement of hating blacks or even as a statement of "we want to overthrow the US government." And I don't give a **** what you say about it. I lived through it and I was AT many of those concerts. It meant something very different at the time before you leftists got your claws into it and changed its meaning as you guys are so good at doing.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:04 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Sure it has. The "nation" that flew it ceased to exist over a hundred fifty years ago. And that particular flag was not "anti-government" when it was flown by the confederate army. The confederate army was not anti-government. The confederacy itself had essentially proclaimed themselves a new nation and were (in their eyes) fighting a war against a belligerent foreign power. It wasn't a group of people seeking to overthrow the government, it was a group of people wishing to break away from the United States entirely.

I have no idea how old you are, but I'm telling you right now because I lived through it: that flag was NOT flown at concerts as a statement of hating blacks or even as a statement of "we want to overthrow the US government." And I don't give a **** what you say about it. I lived through it and I was AT many of those concerts. It meant something very different at the time before you leftists got your claws into it and changed its meaning as you guys are so good at doing.
They have only changed its meaning in their own minds.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:

The CSA was a breakaway state that was established because of what it feared. It feared the end of slavery. The Confederates were willing to fight a war of independence because it wanted to keep slavery. How it became "we hate Black people"? You can thank the Confederates themselves. You can thank Jim Crow for that. You can thank the persons who fought AGAINST the Civil Rights Movement. The Confederate flag was the flag of resistance against integration. When Dr. Martin Luther King Jr led a march to make Cicero, Illinois an open city where Blacks could feel welcome, some of city's residents responded by throwing bricks, bottles, and other dangerous projectiles at Dr. King and his marchers. And something else. Said persons demonstrating against Dr. King were flying Confederate flags. I think about his. Cicero is next to Chicago. Most of the town's population consisted of 1st and 2nd generation Lithuanian-Americans and Polish-Americans. No connection to the the Old South whatsoever. African-Americans living in Chicago were legitimately more southern than the people living in Cicero. And yet, the Confederate flags were in full force the moment anyone spoke of letting Blacks live in Cicero during the 1960s.

Ask yourself this. Why do we rarely ever see any Black people fly the Confederate flag?

Old 06-03-2022, 01:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The Confederate flag is the battle flag of an enemy state, and has no place on US soil.

Museums being the only exception.
I think homeowners have a right to fly that flag on their own grounds. It lets me know whom to avoid for starters. I was glad when Gov. Haley got the flag removed from state grounds here in South Carolina after Dylann Roof tried t start his race war. I also think private companies have the right to ban any flag they see fit to ban from their property. People are free to tell that company with they think with the billfolds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies