Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 04:09 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
It's about what democrats and Uncle Sam want, without that BS there would be a brand new ttV8 Toyota V8 going into high end Lexus models and Tundras, etc. You realllllllllllyyyy aren't a car person if you're going to stand there and say a V6 is better than a V8. I don't even know where to start with that one. Are there excellent V6 engines? Of course--I've owned several cars with them. Is a V6 better than a V8? That supposed to be a joke?

I think you'd get a lot of flack saying this to a group of car enthusiasts, you really seem out of touch. A nice V8 purr while accelerating effortlessly is very refined. Why do you think luxury cars used to offer them until Uncle Sam came in??

No, it's because of this god-awful thing called CAFE that has ruined cars for the most part. You think people who buy $100,000 LX570s care about the gas mileage???? I sure don't, mine has that same 5.7 engine. The engine is a hoot, LX/LC/Tundra drives love the 5.7.
Again, it is not me - it is the market that says the V6 is better - there are many great V6s - the V8 is not inherently better. The joke is that you think that less power and worse mileage is somehow better. And seemed to convince yourself that paying some 20x more for a slower and more cumbersome vehicle is worth it - is it "a hoot" to be in a much slower car. As far as quality - those that rate vehicles seem to prefer the Tesla - your opinion is not reality.

Quote:
What's it cost for a battery replacement after 120k miles where for many high quality ICE cars 120k is just getting broken in? Who will be laughing then?
The cost of battery replacement at 120K miles is zero because the battery lasts about 300K+ miles based on real world data, again spreading bad info based on zero real experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 07:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
My wife recently had her Navigator totaled in a car accident. In the meantime she was driving a rental Nissan Armada with a V8. The only benefit of that V8 over the V6 of the Navigator is worse gas mileage.

But I guess car guys like V8's and cars that are so slow that a Model X would pass it as if it was sitting still.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:26 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
My wife recently had her Navigator totaled in a car accident. In the meantime she was driving a rental Nissan Armada with a V8. The only benefit of that V8 over the V6 of the Navigator is worse gas mileage.

But I guess car guys like V8's and cars that are so slow that a Model X would pass it as if it was sitting still.
While I'd love a Tesla for a daily driver. It certainly wouldn't replace my '91 GMC Syclone, or my future want, a 392 Challenger wide body.

Car guys like cars...not appliances, no matter how fast they are. Many of us do appreciate the new technology, I'd love to swap a Tesla Plaid drive train into a vintage car.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
While I'd love a Tesla for a daily driver. It certainly wouldn't replace my '91 GMC Syclone, or my future want, a 392 Challenger wide body.

Car guys like cars...not appliances, no matter how fast they are. Many of us do appreciate the new technology, I'd love to swap a Tesla Plaid drive train into a vintage car.
What makes an electric car any more of an appliance than a gas powered car?

Old 06-17-2022, 09:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 432,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Again, it is not me - it is the market that says the V6 is better - there are many great V6s - the V8 is not inherently better.

It's not the market, it's the government and CAFE standards. A V8 is balanced, firing order and doesn't need counterweights to be smooth---there's reason enough right there they're better. V8 is inherently smoother. There is nothing about a good V6 that is better than a good V8.

Quote:
The joke is that you think that less power and worse mileage is somehow better. And seemed to convince yourself that paying some 20x more for a slower and more cumbersome vehicle is worth it - is it "a hoot" to be in a much slower car.

20x more? Some of us like engines. I don't care about efficiency. Yes, a good V8 engine is a hoot, no matter what it's in.

Quote:
As far as quality - those that rate vehicles seem to prefer the Tesla - your opinion is not reality.

You're seriously gooing to compare quality, build quality on a $90,000 Toyota versus a Tesla? Thanks for the laugh. If you can't even admit one shortcoming of Teslas you're blind.

Quote:
The cost of battery replacement at 120K miles is zero because the battery lasts about 300K+ miles based on real world data, again spreading bad info based on zero real experience.

Links please? Unbiased ones. I'd love to see all the 300k Teslas on original batteries.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What makes an electric car any more of an appliance than a gas powered car?
For many, it's classic lines, styling, interiors etc. Not just the drive train. If you have to ask, basically, you just won't get it.

Many of the EV products out there are just bland, generic , blah. It is changing though, like the Lucid Air , for example, the styling both, interior and exterior is very nice. Although, I really haven't been able to sit in one and really critique it. I think I just look at things a little differently, being a designer in the automotive industry for over 30 years.

Now here is some examples, of pure functional art forms. Granted , these are a on the extreme end, and not daily drivers, but the pure aesthetics of these vehicles are just stunning.
https://www.mfah.org/exhibitions/scu...0e7&pid=850833

I'm sorry, park a Tesla Plaid, next to a new CT5 V Blackwing and I'll take the CT5 hands down over the Tesla. Although, if I could afford both, I'd go that route as well.

A perfect example of technology, functionality , and art brought together.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/i...r-first-drive/

Last edited by scarabchuck; 06-17-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,091 times
Also, who doesn't want a car with nothing but a single screen with horrendously cheap window and door switchgear for big bucks?

Old 06-17-2022, 03:35 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For many, it's classic lines, styling, interiors etc. Not just the drive train. If you have to ask, basically, you just won't get it.

Many of the EV products out there are just bland, generic , blah. It is changing though, like the Lucid Air , for example, the styling both, interior and exterior is very nice. Although, I really haven't been able to sit in one and really critique it. I think I just look at things a little differently, being a designer in the automotive industry for over 30 years.

Now here is some examples, of pure functional art forms. Granted , these are a on the extreme end, and not daily drivers, but the pure aesthetics of these vehicles are just stunning.
https://www.mfah.org/exhibitions/scu...0e7&pid=850833

I'm sorry, park a Tesla Plaid, next to a new CT5 V Blackwing and I'll take the CT5 hands down over the Tesla. Although, if I could afford both, I'd go that route as well.

A perfect example of technology, functionality , and art brought together.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/i...r-first-drive/
I'd have to ask, why? The Cadillac is much slower, Tesla has 65% more HP (and I think about twice the torque but didn't look up the numbers). Tesla 0-60 < 2 sec, Caddy 3.4. I have no doubt the Caddy is a fun drive, but don't see a real comparison between the two in performance.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd have to ask, why? The Cadillac is much slower, Tesla has 65% more HP (and I think about twice the torque but didn't look up the numbers). Tesla 0-60 < 2 sec, Caddy 3.4. I have no doubt the Caddy is a fun drive, but don't see a real comparison between the two in performance.
Because it isn't just about performance.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:39 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
Quote:
Also, who doesn't want a car with nothing but a single screen with horrendously cheap window and door switchgear for big bucks?
Right, I think they look/feel terrible. Plan jane. There is no way in h3ll I would every get one. Ugliest cars ever, especially the fatter one. No idea what model it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies