Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 09:02 PM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

Lets be real nobody is buying a Tesla or EV to save gas money. The only people buying them are car guys, tech geeks or people as status symbols.

An ICE vehicle that gets 25mpg, and travels 12,000 miles a year is spending $2,400 a year on gas.

A Tesla costs $100k, and over 10 years costs $7,500 a year in depreciation alone. Electricity depending on where you live still costs 3/4 the price of gas. The math never made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 12:43 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts. I know, that’s my business. I’ve sat in the meetings. Just wait.
Not every place is the same - just because one place may look to change doesn't have anything to do with rates at another. But there are logical incentives to have low rates for EVs, reduces peak loads and helps balance the load when encouraging EVs to charge overnight.

I highly doubt any place is going to do away with those incentives anytime soon - because it helps the power companies match supply to demand - it is not in the power companies interest to eliminate the incentives to charge when demand is low - they want to make money, not push an agenda. I used to work in power generation also - suggest quit with the FUD like it will happen to everyone with no data to back it other than vague rumours that are highly unlikely to be true.

BTW - The current SDGE rates are set through 2023 and the proposed 2024 rates have the EV rate continuing with 9% increase - so would go to $0.12 (vs the non EV rate of $0.46) and cost to fill less than $12 - still way cheaper than the almost $7 for a gallon of gas.

But it really doesn't matter anyway - I should be out of CA totally by 2023-2024 and my rate in NV is under contract at a $0.04 fixed rate for the next 15 years - so I will enjoy the low rates at least until about 2037.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Lets be real nobody is buying a Tesla or EV to save gas money. The only people buying them are car guys, tech geeks or people as status symbols.

An ICE vehicle that gets 25mpg, and travels 12,000 miles a year is spending $2,400 a year on gas.

A Tesla costs $100k, and over 10 years costs $7,500 a year in depreciation alone. Electricity depending on where you live still costs 3/4 the price of gas. The math never made sense.
Not at all correct - your numbers are way off on savings. My cost for an EV KW in CA is $0.11 and in NV it is $0.04 - a KW will get right at 4 miles /kw in Model 3 or just under 3 (2.8) in Model X. So to go 12,000 miles costs is about $330 in model 3 or $460 in Model X in CA and about $135 in Model 3 and $190 in Model X in NV - about 13 to 20% of ICE cost in CA and 6 to 8% in NV - way less than your 75% of the cost that is based on speculation, not math. But where I live, gas is more than $6.00/gal so would be $2880 a year - so EV is even less.

Most Teslas are also more like $50K than $100K and are pretty equivalent in cost to ICE but with a depreciation rate that is lower than an ICE. A Tesla Model 3, which is the most common Tesla, is essentially the same cost as an Audi A4, a BMW Model 3 or MB C class ICE and True cost to own is projected at over 20% less - try using real math instead of your bad assumptions on costs - the real math works out to Tesla being cheaper.

Here was a study that was done over 5 years that shows a Model 3 vs Toyota Camry and Audi A5 - the Model 3 was cheapest -

With prices going up and gas going up, the Model 3 and Camry would likely be close to even now - but the Tesla is a class above the Camry, the A5 is a closer equivalent and gap has likely widened between it and the Model 3.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
No, the government took/is taking them away. People want V8s, and they're NOT dumping them like they did in 2008.

Oh I'm aware of that, thanks. But you're blind if you think V8s can't be extremely refined and smooth. Not everything is about a 1.1 second 0-60 time. Good V6 better than a good V8? Pass me what you're smoking.

Totally your opinion which is meaningless.

It's a gas guzzling 3 ton V8 truck with a 5.7L V8, I don't care that it gets 12MPG. It's not slow, I don't plan on chasing Ferrari drivers up mountains, but since you mention it the handling is pretty damn good for 6200lbs, just in regular driving. It's a great truck to drive. And lol, it's not bias. Put a Land Cruiser against any Tesla, hmmm how many hours would I need to block off my schedule to point out the glaring differences between astute quality control versus Tinker toy assembly Teslas have.
Yea - lots of bad info - many V8s are still being made so no, the government didn't "take them away". I never said anything about a V8 being refined and smooth or not, but a good 6 cyl can be just as refined. A few examples of a great V6 are Nismo GT-R, a Ford GT, Caddy CT-5V, an Acura NSX or a F1 engine many straight 6s from BMW and the like or a flat 6 like a 911 - the V8 is on its last legs and not because of government mandates, many 6 cyl can be just as great and more efficient.

Also an EV powertrain is much more powerful, smooth and refined inherently - that is not opinion, it is fact. An EV has no need for up and down to drive wheels to go round and round - completely balanced electric motor going round and round start to finish and no need of transmission to keep it in the power band. Try driving one instead of just stating an opinion that is based on no real experience - you will find it is a hoot, much more than your LC. My Tesla X is about the same weight but gets way better mileage, way better handling, is way faster and rated by most way higher - that is not just my opinion.

Face it, most do care about bad gas mileage, slow acceleration and lousy handling - most would rather have the Tesla than the Land Cruiser - there is a reason they stopped selling, them, almost no one wanted one - that is a fact. The bottom line is, keep your big V8, most have moved on to more powerful and efficient vehicles.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:44 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Yea - lots of bad info - many V8s are still being made so no, the government didn't "take them away". I never said anything about a V8 being refined and smooth or not, but a good 6 cyl can be just as refined. A few examples of a great V6 are Nismo GT-R, a Ford GT, Caddy CT-5V, an Acura NSX or a F1 engine many straight 6s from BMW and the like or a flat 6 like a 911 - the V8 is on its last legs and not because of government mandates, many 6 cyl can be just as great and more efficient.
Tell me what 6 cylinder engine is better than the Corvette's?

Quote:
Also an EV powertrain is much more powerful, smooth and refined inherently - that is not opinion, it is fact. An EV has no need for up and down to drive wheels to go round and round - completely balanced electric motor going round and round start to finish and no need of transmission to keep it in the power band. Try driving one instead of just stating an opinion that is based on no real experience - you will find it is a hoot, much more than your LC. My Tesla X is about the same weight but gets way better mileage, way better handling, is way faster and rated by most way higher - that is not just my opinion.
I've driven one. The gas pedal thing was cool but the interior was one of the worst I've ever seen in a new car, maybe ever. It's really stupid to compare a Tesla to a nameplate that goes back 60 years. Absolutely no one cross shopped a Lexus LX or Cruiser with your Tesla.

An EV also loses significant range when cold, we all don't live in SoCal. Also Tesla is dead last in reliability. Interiors are awful. I don't want to pay thousands to retrofit my garage. I don't want a car with a range meter, I'd like a vehicle I can take across the country and make 5-7 minute stops to fill up and never have to worry about charging or waiting in line.

Your precious Tesla has shortcomings.

Quote:
Face it, most do care about bad gas mileage, slow acceleration and lousy handling - most would rather have the Tesla than the Land Cruiser - there is a reason they stopped selling, them, almost no one wanted one - that is a fact. The bottom line is, keep your big V8, most have moved on to more powerful and efficient vehicles.
People who bought V8 LCs didn't. "Almost no one wanted one", lmao. They're niche vehicles here, that's what makes them special along with Lexus LX. You are aware 100,000+ Cruisers are sold a year worldwide, right? In areas where they need the capability and reliability. The Afhgan disaster pullout all the news people were riding in 200 series Land Cruisers, not Teslas.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:22 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I'm not nearly as concerned about smug Tesla drivers as I am about the insufferable gazillionaire who owns the company.
What has Musk done that bothers you?

Old 06-19-2022, 05:44 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Also, who doesn't want a car with nothing but a single screen with horrendously cheap window and door switchgear for big bucks?
Yes, the mininalist look and doing most things on the touch screen are so much better than all those primitive buttons, knobs and dials.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Yes, the mininalist look and doing most things on the touch screen are so much better than all those primitive buttons, knobs and dials.

Yeah, it's so intuitive and safe to have to take your eyes off the road, and divert them to a screen to change the temperature or volume, two things most drivers change often. Forget tried and true knobs and buttons that fall to reach naturally.

What you all think is so cool about them I think it what's so crappy about them.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I've noticed more and more Tesla drivers around my neck of the woods with customized license plates that say things such as "HA GAS" and "NO GAS" or something to the affect. What is wrong with these people? Could they be any more smug?
Everything is fun and games until the electricity goes out.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:44 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
To each their own. I despise the touch screens, with controls buried under menus. Takes too much attention when one is driving. Adjusting a dial or hitting a button can be done without taking ones eyes off the road once one is used to the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies