Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 10:03 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But your relationship with your boyfriend is not the "exact same as any heterosexual relationship". You said it yourself, it's obvious that you are "gay".

In some societies, platonic friends hold hands and it is not a signifier of any romantic or sexual involvement.

However, in our society holding hands is a definite signal that the two are romantically involved.

If you love another person, that means that you want and work for their ultimate good. Engaging in a sexual act with a person of the same sex does not work toward anyone's good, so it cannot by definition be an act of love.
I think it's safe to say, that in the US and Canada two men holding hands signals they are a couple.

Also, what the heck do you mean sex being towards the greater good? Silliest thing I've heard in a long time.

You can't possibly know whether or not their intimate relationship is based in love.

CALGUY, this is the type of thinking that surrounded you, but you seem unaware of. This is the kind of thinking that persecuted gays. This is the type of thinking that started PRIDE marches.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-09-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Celebration of vice does take place at Mardi Gras, but that is not its stated purpose. Whether or not to hold Mardi Gras parades is a question of prudence, not morality.

The stated purpose of a "pride parade" is to celebrate vice. There is no prudential judgment involved as it is a clear evil.
The stated purpose of Mardi Gras is lost on most of the attendees. They party, get really drunk, and expose themselves for beads.

The stated purpose of PRIDE is to celebrate the victories won over the years and to show inclusiveness for all.

Most PRIDE parades lately though are really quite boring. Endless co-operate floats, but I suspect this year will be different since we haven't had parades in two years.

Evil? Man what a small world you live in.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
We're all different, but don't have an entire month in which we invite everyone else to celebrate our differences. Next up: People who like pickles on their ice cream pride month.
Sorry, but your sexuality does make you special or anything worth celebrating. Seems like their may be low self esteem issues afoot that people are trying to offset by screaming for attention. It's no different than a teenager driving around in their car with the sound system blasting or the old dude driving his Corvette in the left lane under the speed limit. All cries for attention and all equally pathetic.

Speaking of logic, what does Christmas have to do with anything?
It amazes me that a simple idea of a group of people whose protest marches over the years have progressed into PRIDE parades to celebrate that struggle, is so difficult to understand.

The parade isn't saying we are BETTER than anyone , but that we are EQUAL to everyone, since the message before, and is sill here in this thread, is that we are predators, evil, incapable of a loving relationship and pedophiles.

The Christmas remark was to the poster who said that since equal rights were mostly won, that there was no need for a parade. That somehow marking the past yearly isn't needed. Christmas, or any yearly event in that case would be pointless.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Right to marry - fair enough.
Can you point to laws that prohibited gays from assembling? Or organizing?
Fear of arrest? Not exclusive to gays. Someone being gay is not a legal reason to arrest someone.
The police have never been allowed by law to beat and arrest people for no other reason than being gay.
Bad behavior by individuals, even under color authority, is not indicative of government sanctioned systemic discrimination.

Your confusing socially sanctioned bigotry with rights violations. Not the same thing. Wrong, for sure, but not necessarily a civil rights issue.
Personally, I'm very pleased about recent improvements regarding acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community. Why anyone gets themselves all riled up over someone else's sexuality is a mystery to me. I don't even care that you want to have PRIDE parades. I just don't understand why. I think no more of someone's sexuality than I do about the color of their hair, so I'd be equally baffled if Brown Hair Pride month was a thing.
I think the main point is that it was LEGAL to discriminate against gays. You didn't need a law to oppress. You just could.

Nothing to protect us being refused jobs, or losing them, getting housing, adopting children, etc.

Some laws did not specifically state " gay " or " homosexual " but acts. Like sodomy laws.

That is why the protests started. To get into law protections from discrimination.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
That's not an argument, but merely a shallow retort.
I think the Dark Ages comment was advice.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The only thing that will stop it is public backlash. It can't come soon enough.
Speaking of evil.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Homosexual propaganda by government and corporations need to be banned for violating the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment.

Government and corporations cannot be partial to one sexual orientation as opposed to any other.

Same goes for transgender propaganda with respect to gender identity.
You don't really have a case.

Recognizing PRIDE is not being partial anymore than companies recognizing Black History Month.

Recognition doesn't equate to special treatment.

You would have to prove that straight people were not getting equal treatment, which you can't.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Yeah, right.

I still haven't seen anyone explain what there is to feel a sense of PRIDE about.

It seems like false propaganda, and the obvious opposite of EMBARRASSMENT.

What a pathetic joke.
Then you haven't been reading all the posts.

The pride comes from a few things and will vary of course on the person.

It has been said several times already in this thread, but some of the pride comes from recognizing that people like you, who went before you, fought and won the rights you have today.

The other is more personal, especially in people who have been brought up in hostile anti-gay environments, or who have struggled with their own sexuality. Those people were made to feel lesser than. Especially those in strict religious upbringings. To this day, some commit suicide. When that personal struggle is overcome, that person feels self worth and is proud of themselves for achieving a level of acceptance and happiness.

Why is that so foreign to you?

One of the definitions of pride is " consciousness of one's own dignity" .

Mocking that is the real "EMBARRASSMENT " .

Old 06-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Those celebrants are lame lightweights.

To get the real flavor of celebrating Pride go a website called zombietime and pull up the links for the "Up your alley fair" and "Folsom St fair". Real SF family values on public display
Those are not PRIDE events and adults only.

I can tell you the vast majority of gay people have never been. The leather culture isn't the whole culture.

Now I don't begrudge adults doing what they want to do, as long as nobody gets hurt.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:13 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
i don't celebrate pride month.
I don't believe in having ones lifestyle forced on the rest of us.
I'm sick of being bombarded on TV and movies by this crap. Such a small percentage of our population, why treat it like its the majority?
I don't like patronizing people.
No rainbow flag in my yard. But the American flag is out every day!

Oh, oops I do celebrate pride 12 month's 365 days a year. Straight white male pride! And a proud American!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies