Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 03:53 PM

4,390 posts, read 1,699,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So a few people in this thread that objects to gays represents the majority of America?
Discrimination doesn’t mean a “majority of America.”

I think I found the disconnect… you dont understand the meaning of “discrimination.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 04:48 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Discrimination doesn’t mean a “majority of America.”

I think I found the disconnect… you dont understand the meaning of “discrimination.”
Don't be a SA. I know what discrimination means so where are you going with this? What I meant is that most Americans do not discriminate against gays these days. You think that just because they are ok with a civil union but not a "traditional" marriage that's discrimination. I don't agree with you when there is a second option and marriage has always been between a man and a woman.

My gay friends had a traditional marriage and even though I don't agree with it I didn't say a thing. It was a matter of opinion on my part nothing more and nothing less.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...and those laws got changed how?
I would think you of all people would know the history of anti-discrimination laws as it applies to gays. What are you asking me for?

Old 06-12-2022, 08:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
I would think you of all people would know the history of anti-discrimination laws as it applies to gays. What are you asking me for?
Because you seem, like some others here, to not make the connection on how laws were changed, and PRIDE.

Equality isn't just given.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Because you seem, like some others here, to not make the connection on how laws were changed, and PRIDE.

Equality isn't just given.
I know how laws get changed but so what? Did our laws coin the word of "pride" in them? As I said, I have nothing against gays I just draw the line at a traditional marriage for them but that's just my opinion. If a state allows it then there is nothing I can do about it nor would I even try. I also object to entire months dedicated to any group regardless of who they are.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Don't be a SA. I know what discrimination means so where are you going with this? What I meant is that most Americans do not discriminate against gays these days. You think that just because they are ok with a civil union but not a "traditional" marriage that's discrimination. I don't agree with you when there is a second option and marriage has always been between a man and a woman.

My gay friends had a traditional marriage and even though I don't agree with it I didn't say a thing. It was a matter of opinion on my part nothing more and nothing less.
I wasn’t being a SA. I truly don’t think that you know what discrimination is. And you demonstrate it in the very next sentence above. Learn your history. Separate is not equal.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:20 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yet many people in this thread, including you, object to thm having a whole month of pride. SMH
To be clear, I don't oppose the idea of individual people coming together to celebrate homosexual pride or drag queen pride or whatever they want to celebrate. They have every right to do that.

However, I do object to the government promoting these activities. That violates the Equal Protection clause.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I wasn’t being a SA. I truly don’t think that you know what discrimination is. And you demonstrate it in the very next sentence above. Learn your history. Separate is not equal.
Are you joking? Everyone including myself knows what discrimination is. I have seen it done racially and socially so WTH are you talking about? Learn my history? I've been around long enough (70+ years) to know what discrimination is. You can't always have it your way completely though and scream discrimination. There are certain things in society where lines are drawn on what is considered acceptable in society. As I said, I have no problem with a civil union opposed to a traditional marriage for gays. Some states agree with you and some do not. Why does everyone have to fall in line with your views?

I stand by what I said about entire months dedicated to certain groups also. To me it's just divisive and attention seeking.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Are you joking? Everyone including myself knows what discrimination is. I have seen it done racially and socially so WTH are you talking about? Learn my history? I've been around long enough (70+ years) to know what discrimination is. You can't always have it your way completely though and scream discrimination. There are certain things in society where lines are drawn on what is considered acceptable in society. As I said, I have no problem with a civil union opposed to a traditional marriage for gays. Some states agree with you and some do not. Why does everyone have to fall in line with your views?

I stand by what I said about entire months dedicated to certain groups also. To me it's just divisive and attention seeking.
Again, that’s discrimination. And you repeatedly don’t seem to understand that it’s discrimination. It’s no different than separate drinking fountains for blacks/whites, separate swimming pools, etc. Separate is not equal. And it’s not my “views,” it’s federal law, thanks to Obergefell v. Hodges. Civil unions are not the same as marriage, and do not share the same federal benefits/rights as married couples do. That’s discrimination, and illegal under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To be clear, I don't oppose the idea of individual people coming together to celebrate homosexual pride or drag queen pride or whatever they want to celebrate. They have every right to do that.

However, I do object to the government promoting these activities. That violates the Equal Protection clause.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but how does it violate the Equal Protection Clause? How does it offer different protections of laws for different groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies