Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 05:48 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

In our state the Governor has set-up a Teacher Narc Line where you can anonymously report a teacher or school for doing something you find inappropriate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 05:51 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
No one who is reasonably smart should assume any texted or email or other internet conversation will remain private.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He let the white kids stop when they wanted to, and made fun of the black kids.

Something is wrong with the attitude in that school, and likely the leadership.

And yes, teachers should worry about having a professional filter always, in their written,
provable communications with other teachers.

Because these communications reveal what's in their hearts, which likely reveals how they are likely to treat the kids.
You know what’s wrong with that school? It has a 99% free/reduced lunch rate, a 9% reading proficiency rate, and probably an astronomical teacher turnover rate.

Teachers should have a right to vent, they had probably spent a year building trust with each other to express their feelings, and expressing those feelings gets it off their chest which allows them to better deal with what are probably very difficult students.

Again, if tenured those teachers can fight whatever disciplinary actions that superintendent thinks she can take and they will win, with perhaps the exception of th3 teacher whose phone they used. The other five had an expectation of privacy.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No one who is reasonably smart should assume any texted or email or other internet conversation will remain private.
Especially when you hand your phone, with an active text thread going with inappropriate things being said about those very students you give your phone to.

I see two errors here. If you're going to vent about a student, do it verbally in person, and quietly. Second, have some presence of mind not to hand over that devise to the students you're badmouthing.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:31 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They were not invited to it. One of the six teachers allowed kids to use her phone to record a ticktock video and a text message alert popped up while they were doing it, the kids recognized a fellow student’s name, and decided to access the texting stream. They then stopped recording their video, read through the text thread, took screen shots of the text thread, forwarded the screen shots to one student’s drop box, and then forwarded it to others.

People need to learn the lesson that if you post or send something electronically, the genie is out of the bottle as soon as you hit send or post. Anyone one of the people in the group could have forwarded any or all of those messages to anyone they wanted to.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Especially when you hand your phone, with an active text thread going with inappropriate things being said about those very students you give your phone to.

I see two errors here. If you're going to vent about a student, do it verbally in person, and quietly. Second, have some presence of mind not to hand over that devise to the students you're badmouthing.
The teacher that handed over the phone was not the one who bad mouthed the student. My guess is that it was a months old standing text group much like my immediate family text group, which has periods of no communication until a member has something they decide to discuss. Schools actually encourage team teachers to establish those.

I am a university supervisor of student teachers and I tell them under no circumstances should they allow a student to use or even touch their cell phones. About half of them roll their eyes so hard they practically injure them themselves

My best guess reading between the lines is that the student of the mother interviewed had been trying to start a fight and the teacher texting expressed she wished the student she was trying to start the fight with would just beat her up. Got news for you, that is not an atypical middle school teacher response to finding out a bully who is constantly trying to start fights tries it with a stronger student. The “class announcement” text is, however, troubling - especially if I am translating those missing words correctly.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 AM

1,213 posts, read 568,081 times
It’s gonna be fun when we can’t even have thoughts in our heads.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
It’s gonna be fun when we can’t even have thoughts in our heads.
It would be fun if people would remember, as we all used to be able to do, how to keep those thoughts in our heads and not tumbling out our mouths or fingers.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:14 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
I work in a school, and not only would I NEVER hand my phone, keys, etc., over to a student, but I also have to remove the "preview" function of text messages on my home screen. I have friends who have a sense of humor that is not appropriate for public schools, and the last thing I need is one of those text messages to come through while my phone is sitting on my desk with others (students or staff) in the room. I don't let others use my phone, I don't text parents or kids from my personal phone, and I don't call parents/kids from my personal phone. It's just a bad, bad idea.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I hope this leads to many people deciding NOT to go into teaching.

Parents and students are wimps today, they would not have made it a day in school in the 70s or 80s. LOL

I dont feel sorry for any of these goofy kids today, they are going to grow up afraid of their own shadows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies