Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be watching the House January 6 Committee hearing?
YES-WATCHING 70 24.56%
NO-NOT WATCHING 215 75.44%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 09:11 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Why haven't they charged Trump with a crime in criminal court and sought prosecution? If he is so clearly, obviously guilty, what's the holdup on raking him over the judicial coals?

Old 06-17-2022, 09:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why haven't they charged Trump with a crime in criminal court and sought prosecution? If he is so clearly, obviously guilty, what's the holdup on raking him over the judicial coals?
They have, mostly civil but also criminal, here is the tracker as of May 22:

https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/l...-donald-trump/

Obviously any DOJ federal criminal indictments will come after the hearing and after the grand jury (which has been meeting for 6 months already) make their final recommendations.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
I was watching a podcast, some months back, where the host and legal expert guest suggested that bringing charges against an ex-President would have unprecedented, and unintended, political ramifications.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:14 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I was watching a podcast, some months back, where the host and legal expert guest suggested that bringing charges against an ex-President would have unprecedented, and unintended, political ramifications.
I just don't see them doing that.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:21 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Oh certainly. But Jan 6th was more unprecedented and this is part of the political ramifications of it.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:35 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Both are important and certainly not unprecedented. In addition to the Watergate hearings, there have been congressional hearings to investigate the Iran-Contra scandal, the Benghazi incident, the Clinton's investments, and even steroid use in baseball, as well as many others.

Our country was on the brink of chaos and a constitutional crisis. It's important to understand what happened so it doesn't happen again.
Our country has been on the brink of chaos and a constitutional crisis since one party used the power of the government to attempt an impeachment of a sitting president over a fictitious dossier.

Our country is currently on the brink of chaos and a constitutional crisis because that same party is now in power and is again using the power of the government to persecute the former president rather than doing their jobs.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:39 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,728,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I just don't see them doing that.
You are definitely in Pandora's box with indicting a former president. Now John Eastman on the other hand.....judging from what I've seen...that man is toast. In a legal context there are two words in the DOJ that will put that man behind bars..."knowingly" and ""willingly".

https://twitter.com/JonahDispatch/st...01146088095747

Old 06-18-2022, 09:11 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
The hypocrisy never fails to amaze me. I should be used to it by now.

If the only issue - in terms of the hearings - is whether or not the Jan 6th riot is Trump's fault, then no, I say it is not. I agree there were some of his supporters hell bent on causing chaos, but not all of them by far. I'll also agree with others that a lot of planning went into making that violence allowable in the first place. I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of who knew ahead of time, that a faction of crazies would grab the opportunity. This was orchestrated to take advantage of that, and I most certainly do not think Trump was behind that one.

The bigger issue IMO, is that both sides are despicably corrupt & dirty, which is exactly what Trump's initial claim was all those years ago. He's bombastic & egotistical, and I surely wouldn't put his personal financial dealings on a pedestal. But how anyone here can blast him while defending any of the so called leaders on the left....well, that's hypocrisy and at the very best, willful ignorance.

This country is in shambles and a major "shame on you" goes out to every voter who still supports the left. You reap what you sow.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:17 AM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
On this point, I am defending the liberal voter. If the dude is, by their perception, so clearly freaking guilty of sedition and it's such a no brainer, I'd be 100% tilted that they are just doing this silly theater crap and not actually trying to lock that dude up and destroy everything in his life.
They have to prove intent before a jury and prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Since we know that Trump never directly got his hands dirty with much besides fraud, it's not quite so clear cut. As Michael Cohen told us, and as we have seen on occasion, he talks in a code which is oblique to keep from leaving a trail, exactly like a Mob Godfather.

Will they be able to put a case together that will withstand cross examination? I don't know. But I am certain if Trump is indicted by DOJ there is an overwhelming probability that he will be convicted.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:34 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
If the only issue - in terms of the hearings - is whether or not the Jan 6th riot is Trump's fault, then no, I say it is not. I agree there were some of his supporters hell bent on causing chaos, but not all of them by far. I'll also agree with others that a lot of planning went into making that violence allowable in the first place. I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of who knew ahead of time, that a faction of crazies would grab the opportunity. This was orchestrated to take advantage of that, and I most certainly do not think Trump was behind that one.
If you think the only issue is whether the riot is Trump’s fault, maybe you should review the committee’s findings. The seditious conspiracy started months before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies