Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 06:56 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Whatever you want to call it, I don’t care much for the kind of America liberals are pushing for and seeking to transform this nation into.

My values are closer to that of the Founding Fathers of this nation. That is the America I believe in. I am very much old school.
You would still be for all of those things and be anti-Trump .

You could be pro DeSantis or pro Scott instead .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
GF is total Lib, she will go with everything MSNBC tells her. I break up with her every election cycle, but some how we get back together. The last time around when I left, she came back saying she will never talk politics around me again.
LOL.

After reading your first two sentences (but before reading the last sentence) I thought perhaps she just liked to pick fights because she likes making up .

Old 06-07-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Trump is who he is. Most people I have no idea who they voted for and don't care. I can understand the anti-Hillary vote. What I can't understand is the worship of another human being like some do. The pretzels people twisted themselves into trying to defend the indefensible was maddening. The guy bragged out being able to, as a star not a Republican, use his power to sexually assault women. Why defend that? Why not just say, "of course that's wrong", vote for him and leave it at that? One guy said to me..."we'll if Democrats can do it so can Republicans.". I screamed "No one should be doing it.". That was just one of many many things I saw defended .
I’d like to think that you’re wrong re the bolded, but I fear that you may be right.

IMO, people should have definite opinions, and should be able to articulate why they have those opinions, or they shouldn’t vote.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:58 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We don't discuss religion or politics with anyone. The only people who have tried to draw us into conversations about politics have been Trump supporters who wanted to try to sway us into believing the way they do. Same with religion, only in that case the evangelical Christians continued to try to convince us to attend their church and ring my doorbell regardless of my no soliciting sign. It doesn't apply to them, apparently. We just repeat over and over that we don't discuss politics or religion. We have never started any political or religious conversation with anyone, to us it's as off limits as discussing our income, but there are people who don't want to respect the boundaries we have set. They feel they have to convince us to believe the way they do and I (who am not nearly as tactful as my husband) finally tell them that I will not discuss this with them any further. By my tone of voice, they generally drop it.

This is one of the main reasons democrats/liberals don't bother to put out political signs or bumper stickers on their vehicles. It's not worth the harassment they/we get.
????

Liberals never remove their stickers. Its hard to understand how they see out their back window!!!
Its only liberals who put lots of political stickers on their cars. At least here in Georgia. Conservatives might have one.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:03 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
When people on the right go on about how excited they are about a civil war so they can shoot people on the left, it makes it hard to be friends with them.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:40 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Are you sure the severity of the wedge, in those instances in your world, are about ideology, rather than being about Trump the person specifically and not ideology to that extent?
Seeing as I didn't even vote for him in 2016 and was more "reluctant Trump voter" than "enthusiastic Trump supporter" in 2020.... yeah, I'm pretty sure.

In my observation, the final boiling point was the 2020 riots/BLM movement, etc. That was when political moderation for many of my left-leaning friends and family was no longer sufficient and political stridency became the order of the day.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:59 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
When people on the right go on about how excited they are about a civil war so they can shoot people on the left, it makes it hard to be friends with them.

LOL...yeah there is that too!

Old 06-08-2022, 04:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I am fortunate in that the people who are close to me share my political views. As someone who leans slightly left, I have no problem with traditional conservatives but someone being a Trump supporter would not be a person I would want to associate with.

Reason being, that person would either agree with the crude and cruel things that Trump has said or is not bothered by them and to me that would be a deal-breaker.

After reading that Fox is not covering the January 6 hearings, I am wondering if those who get their news exclusively from Fox are aware of some of Trump's actions which have led to the animosity towards him. For example, the clip of him making fun of a disabled reporter was probably not shown on Fox.

I hope this post is not deleted for being off-topic as I am trying to show the basis of intolerance of certain groups. As has been previously stated, it's not the political views, it's the actions.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:44 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times
Adding, I have no place to discuss political differences in a calm and rational manner. Not in real life and not on line.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:10 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I am a Democrat married to a Republican for 48 years. We don't talk politics. Decades ago I asked if I had the right to vote. Yes. With that, I asked do I have the right to vote for whomever I choose. Yes. End of subject. Now he just yells at the TV when he hears Democratic talking points. He doesn't bring up the subject of politics with our kids and their spouses either. All Democrats. He is outnumbered.

On to the subject of Trump. We are both Native New Yorkers (Queens and Manhattan). We are Trump's generation and heard about him for many years. Neither of us have ever liked him.

Besides that, back in the 70's I had a chance meeting with Trump. On my lunch break working in Manhattan, I stopped to see what a gathering on a sidewalk was all about. Trump came up to me and said he was Donald Trump and this was his building. He then said that no blank (derogatory word for Hispanics) would ever live in his building? WHAT? I thought to myself why are you saying this to a stranger? You are CRAZY! I started walking away. He followed me. Want me to give you a "private tour". No, I have to get back to work. Kept walking. He kept following me saying he would call my boss, tell him who he was, and that I would be late. WHAT? I told him NO and to leave me alone, but he followed me yapping away until I got to 6th Ave. and I RAN across the street.

I told my boss what happened. Older man who started cursing in Italian when I told him what happened. When I got back home, I told my HUSBAND. Trump didn't see the ring on my finger? Husband was stunned, but not surprised since he had a low opinion of Trump to begin with.

Fast forward to the Election. Think my Republican husband was going to vote for Trump? Although he would not vote for a Democrat, there was a Third Party Candidate to vote for. When President Trump was on TV, he always changed the channel. His quote, "The Republican Party is not just ONE "expletive" man". "Find somebody else".

Last edited by Jo48; 06-08-2022 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies