Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 11:16 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Nothing new. We had a civil war because of politics. The independents need to find good people and get a good candidate in the mix. Compromise is seen as weakness and being a traitor by the right. And the left is a free flower child trying to be all inclusive. Now both find each other offensive. My fam is mostly republicans - but I’m the middle child and always making a ruckus over fairness. We don’t talk about politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 11:18 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I find liberals are the least tolerant and conservatives are the most tolerant when it comes to political discussion.

I find most conservatives enjoy and look forward to calmly discussing different ideas and viewpoints.

I find most liberals have a difficult time discussing facts and pretty much go right to screaming insults from the start.
Me, too. Sigh.
Debate 101: never argue with a fool.
I've never been so quiet in my life...

Old 06-11-2022, 11:47 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I know this will sound elistist but life is too short to be bothered to try to understand why people with lower IQs make the choices they do. By the way, Trump is not the first thing the low information crowd will idolize and won't be the last. So no, the details of why Trump aren't interesting to me.
The low information crowd are those who voted for Biden. Their foolishness has been proven out by this administration in every way.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:56 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Sad that people let politics destroy relationships, especially families.

My in-laws are way liberal. I respect their views/opinions, and they respect mine as I lean right.

We do not discuss politics at family gatherings. That has worked well for us.

Wife's sister-in-law had a meltdown when she found out wife and I voted for Trump in 2016. We were hosting Christmas that year, and the SIL had a complete meltdown, yelled at my wife, and then stormed out of our house, and then refuse to come inside for dinner until my wife apologized to her for voting for trump instead of hilary, because "all women should have voted for hilary". Ugh. That was the worst of it. They live on the opposite side of the country, so we don't see them much anyway. No loss.

Which is why I don't discuss politics with family or relatives. My family is esp. liberal but I taught as an adjunct professor for almost 25 year. I learned years ago never to let my political views known. When Trump won in 2016 you can't imagine the rage the following day in the teachers room. I said nothing but inside was loving it.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:06 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Compromise is seen as weakness and being a traitor by the right.
I won’t even consider a Presidential candidate or politician who is not for strong border security and keeping out Illegal aliens.

That is my #1 litmus test for everything. As far as I’m concerned, you shouldn’t even be a politician if you’re not going to do that.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:12 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I won’t even consider a Presidential candidate or politician who is not for strong border security and keeping out Illegal aliens.

That is my #1 litmus test for everything. As far as I’m concerned, you shouldn’t even be a politician if you’re not going to do that.
Most presidents are for border security. The question got twisted with asylum seekers vs illegal entries. And nobody talks about our northern borders.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:22 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times
The ONLY one in my entire family that liked biden over Trump was my mother. And that was only because she has CNN on all day long so she did not have accurate info. SO we finally stopped talking

My brother who still talks with her says now she admits I was right all along and what a horrible disaster every single thing is thanks to biden!

Old 06-11-2022, 12:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
The ONLY one in my entire family that liked biden over Trump was my mother. And that was only because she has CNN on all day long so she did not have accurate info. SO we finally stopped talking

My brother who still talks with her says now she admits I was right all along and what a horrible disaster every single thing is thanks to biden!
I just don't get this, at all.

Mothers are the primary relationship that almost all of us had, entering the world as humans. That's why dying people - even old people - cry out for their mothers. It's a primal, unbreakable link.

How someone can switch their alliance away from their mother (if it had been a good one to begin with) and choose loyalty to Trump, over their mother, is baffling. Absolutely baffling, and something we've never seen in the history of the US.

I hope somehow you're able to heal before she passes on. So that in your last declining years, you won't have that awful, bitter regret of not having a loving relationship with your mother, over what will be long-forgotten political alliances.

God when will this man fade into the sunset.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:34 PM

455 posts, read 306,788 times
Had a very interesting discussion with a friend last night. We're both conservative, but his wife asked a question and I answered her in some depth on the history of Ukraine going back to the founding of Kiev and the Kievan Russ, it's rise as a trading center, the destruction by the Mongols, etc. up to modern times and the feud with Russia including Stalin starving millions of Ukrainians. (That happens after a couple good bourbons).

After I finished, my friend asked me why I wasn't lecturing at colleges about History.

My wife chimed in with, "He'd never make it, he isn't politically correct". Which is true. I like history, not the revised crap coming out of our institutions of "higher learning" these days.

The area I live in is very conservative, so nobody thinks much about it. It's rare to hear really political conversations except for a Let's go Brandon when the gas prices go up again. However, a guy I've known for several years owns a local station where I buy fuel. A few weeks ago after filling my tank, I went inside to pay and said something about "when is this insanity going to stop?"

He came unglued and started ranting about how it wasn't biden's fault for shutting down oil production so that oil prices were rising, and that everything was Putin's fault.

He didn't sound completely stable, so I just paid and left. Haven't talked to him since. The guy is liberal, not a wild eyed frothing at the mouth type liberal, but still left of center, and in a conservative area, he never gets the reaffirming support for liberal policies he wants. Must be pretty tough on him.
I've got nothing against him, we've been able to have discussions for years without all the hysterics, but I think a little space is probably a good idea to keep the peace until at least after November.

I really feel sorry for the guy. He's a pretty good Joe usually, but I guess the strain of backing someone like biden is taking it's toll.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just don't get this, at all.

Mothers are the primary relationship that almost all of us had, entering the world as humans. That's why dying people - even old people - cry out for their mothers. It's a primal, unbreakable link.

How someone can switch their alliance away from their mother (if it had been a good one to begin with) and choose loyalty to Trump, over their mother, is baffling. Absolutely baffling, and something we've never seen in the history of the US.

I hope somehow you're able to heal before she passes on. So that in your last declining years, you won't have that awful, bitter regret of not having a loving relationship with your mother, over what will be long-forgotten political alliances.

God when will this man fade into the sunset.
Guess you decided to go on a rant instead of actually reading what I said. But I see you do that a lot. No wonder you do not understand because you prefer to attack people instead of reading what they say. I did that as a democrat as well. Thank god I am not one anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies