Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the age of Adulthood be raised to 21?
Yes 22 47.83%
No 7 15.22%
Leave things as they are 6 13.04%
Make it 18 for everything, drinks and debt included 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 07:07 AM

4,518 posts, read 2,243,498 times

Advertisements

Yes and we should not be sending anyone under 21 off to war. Let's see how fast the war pigs change that ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 07:10 AM

18,416 posts, read 7,057,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No, not across the board. I like to see various ages depending on the issue. Adulthood should not be thrown at them all at once. Otherwise there will be a lot of problems at that age, whatever it is determined to be.

I believe exactly the opposite.

No matter what the age is, and I'm not arguing what it should be....

It needs to be the same across the board.

You're either an adult, or not.

You're either a free citizen, or not.

I don't believe in incremental freedom.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:32 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,543,781 times
Huh. Board packed with people 55+ wants to pull the ladder. Again.

Imagine that.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:34 AM

30,033 posts, read 18,615,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We're seeing lots of cases where the left are saying 18-20 year olds lack the maturity and intelligence to make adult decisions. The most obvious one is the proposal to shift student loan debt from the borrowers to the taxpayers. Supposedly these young adults are not mature enough to enter into a contract-and get this-didn't realize they would have to pay back what they borrowed! So because they lacked the maturity to enter into a contract, the taxpayers are obligated to pay.

We already do treat these young adults as children in some ways. We don't let them buy a beer, a bottle of alcohol, enter a bar or buy cigarettes (ck me on that last) until 21. So they are still considered children in that regard.

In other cases we go the other way-we let 18 year olds put their lives on the line to fight for our country. So 18 to join our military, to go fight for our country-but not mature enough to buy a beer.

It's certainly true in some ways that today's young adults lack the maturity of previous generations. These examples are just a few examples, but the demands for society to cater to their feelings, and the "meltdowns" when things don't go their way is often more reminiscent of a 12 year old-but comes from today's 20 year olds, particularly those in college.

Now, we have the left saying young adults lack the maturity to purchase a firearm, and want to raise the age to do so to 21 as well. So in all the above cases, 18-20s are treated as children.

So, I have to ask-is it time to raise the age of adulthood to 21? No young adults entering into contracts, taking out loans or credit cards, buying guns, enjoying a beer (as said, already there), join the military? And of course by that logic we would need to raise the voting age to 21. If young people lack the maturity to be responsible for their actions, they certainly lack the maturity to vote-decisions that effect everyone. And certainly, if anyone wants to sexually mutilator their own bodies, that would need to be an adult decision. So no "reassignment surgery" or hormone therapy until these children are old enough to make an adult, mature decision.
Old enough to fight for your country, old enough to drink, drive, and buy weapons.

Do you want to admit we are sending BOYS to fight and die in wars?

Old 06-09-2022, 07:44 AM

5,031 posts, read 3,933,050 times
The armed left-wing guy arrested for the attempted murder of Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh yesterday was age 26.

There’s probably now a dingbat theory to raise the handgun purchase age to 27.

Actually, the progressives don’t seem too concerned so scratch that idea.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 AM

15,940 posts, read 12,247,039 times
The left thinks both 5 and 50 year olds should be able to make adult decisions without being held accountable for their actions. The right thinks people shouldnt be able to drink and smoke till 21 but should be tried as an adult when they are 10 years old for a crime.

Pick your poison. I pick the right.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 AM

10,566 posts, read 4,348,099 times
I said no, simply because yo kill for your country at age 18 and the age of majority is when everyone leaves essentially 'compulsory education'.

BUT, given the actions I see today of 'adults' 40 or less, sure, 40 should be the new number.

but realistically, we are now in the 2nd generation of parents, who dont know how to parent, and the people who could set them straight, are retiring and in no mood to parent.

Instead, remove social media, restrict the internet to only those with tech jobs and not the genpop till much much later.

remove half the crap on tv and heavily censor the other half and outlaw pop, hip hop and rap music.

all THAT will go a long way.

and force everyone to go outside and play. I meant everyone.

Or, carry on....your choice.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:53 AM

10,566 posts, read 4,348,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

Imagine that.

I am not sure I know what 'pull the ladder' means, but the people 55+ are not wasted on drugs, uneducated, rioting and shooting each other - supreme justice or not. they dont engage in pissy fights on social media, dont blog and are not triggered by pronouns. plus I am pretty sure they have a clear definition of male vs female.

mebbe you CAN learn from your elders? and the time window in which to do so is closing fast cuz tomorrows 'elders' just plain suck.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:57 AM

4,518 posts, read 2,243,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

Imagine that.

Pull the ladder up generally refers to giving a hand to someone to achieve what you have achieved. So do you mean that I, as a woman, need to help men achieve being women?

Old 06-09-2022, 07:58 AM

25,522 posts, read 18,649,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Does the "Age of Adulthood" need to be raised?
Yeah. Seems it should be raised to about 55 years of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies