Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 01:46 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times

Advertisements

the black community owns the n lifestyle. if they want to get rid of the word, the life style goes too. They are responsible for their own culture and upbringing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 01:47 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Two school administrators in private conversation were discussing the foul language of the students, including the n-word. They were placed on leave. Full story:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/2-g...laced-on-leave

What caught my eye is this comment by a parent:

I thought the n-word was copyrighted by white supremacists racists hundreds of years ago as a derogatory term for Negro, i.e. black, people. Shouldn't it be their word? This woman thinks that only black people should be allowed to refer to other black people as derogatory terms. Does this apply to other derogatory terms as well? Should whites be the only ones who can call other whites "h-o-n-k-y" or "cracker"?

Should white supremacists and racists be the only ones allowed to use the terms "white supremacist" and "racist"?
The only time I hear the “n” word used is between young black males in a tone of endearment. I’ve heard it used usually between young black males, at ear shot distance, at a local college campus.

I suspect this word came from abbreviating the original term “negro” initially not meant pejoratively, but then it became a pejorative, typically used in a hostile tone. I think using the “n” word specifically and exclusively between people of color is ok; it’s similar to the younger gays co-opting the word “queer” thinking if the word is used “matter of factly” or positively, rather than derisively, it’s ok. I personally would never accept the word “queer,” because it’s use has always been negative or pejorative, but when trends change however, there can be little to do to stop them.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:56 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
yet here we still are with people crying about it. what i said is 100% true. non-black people's biggest issue is that black people seeminginly "get to" say it and they don't.
Lol. I’m not crying about it, and nobody is stopped from using the word. Folks of all colors are allowed to use it. If folks don’t like others using it, too bad.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's because those words are used to marginalize people that saying them invites blowback despite intent. If a black person uses it they are not marginalizing anyone.
Those words are also in song lyrics and anyone singing those lyrics are not marginalizing anyone. Don’t want them repeated with the word in it, don’t use the word to begin with. Problem solved.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Those words are also in song lyrics and anyone singing those lyrics are not marginalizing anyone. Don’t want them repeated with the word in it, don’t use the word to begin with. Problem solved.
this is an extremely weak excuse. it's a remixed version of "they get to say it, and if i don't get to say it then that's wrong because blah blah blah"

lol...that's literally the whole issue. people mad that black people get to something that they can't (or shouldn't).

Old 06-08-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
this is an extremely weak excuse. it's a remixed version of "they get to say it, and if i don't get to say it then that's wrong because blah blah blah"

lol...that's literally the whole issue. people mad that black people get to something that they can't (or shouldn't).
I never said it was wrong if they use it in songs. Just that anyone can say the word anytime they want and when singing song lyrics, contrary to those not wanting them to use the word.

I’m not mad, and don’t know who you think is mad, as anyone is free to say it anytime they want and as much as they want. The folks that are mad are the ones who think they own the word and and think nobody else can/should say it.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:51 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They can have it. It's a horrible, hateful word. I can't see why anyone want to use it.
every time you use 'it' your mind translates it into its original form.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:58 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I don't consider the n word to be something that a person with class or intelligence would use no matter what their racial background is.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:10 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
yet here we still are with people crying about it. what i said is 100% true. non-black people's biggest issue is that black people seeminginly "get to" say it and they don't.
My friend, I don’t like it either, constantly complaining about its use by blacks, and according to you I “get” to say it. My biggest issue with it is that the most impactful enduring way people figure out what to call you is by hearing what you call yourself.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:16 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Can we stop being so offended by words?

good lord.
Words, symbols, flags, statues, paintings, etc. They can NOT hurt you. People allow themselves to be offended so they can virtue signal how righteous they are. Self absorbed hypocrites.

Last edited by Pilot1; 06-08-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies