Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 05:50 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They can have it. It's a horrible, hateful word. I can't see why anyone want to use it.
My best friend a long time ago told me what it REALLY meant. He was BLACK.

"A low class, ignorant, scum bag, usually UN-educated, who gives the rest of us (blacks) a bad name"

Either we have EQUAL rights, or we don't!

Either we have "freedom of speech" or we don't!

It does NOT apply to a large portion of blacks, unless they act a certain way.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 06-09-2022 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The kids call each other that and it seems to be acceptable for one Black to say it to another Black.
In that case it's not a bad word.

Personally I think that is one of the more vulgar slur words to label a Black person.
But these kids don't know/don't care about the history of that word it seems.
"Personally I think that is one of the more vulgar slur words to label a Black person."
Having personally worked in the black public housing and the surrounding ghettos, and the things I was called, the knives and guns pointed at me, more then in 2 tours in "Nam, I feel I HAVE THE RIGHT to "call a spade a spade"!

Old 06-09-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In my younger days I worked with some black dudes and often hung out with them outside of work. I thought it was kinda funny how it was N word this and N word that between them. They were friends but it felt like it was still a put down like an inside joke amongst them.

I think that word was used during the slave days by White people and was meant as a major put down as in "you're nothing but a dumb N word". With the end of slavery and over time the Black community adopted that word but kept its derogatory meaning to be used as a put down as in "you dumb N..."

Of course it is a Black word but kind of dumb that only Black people can use it and all others will be deemed Racist if the word ever crosses their lips. What nonsense. Rap music is just as popular among White kids these days as Black so what is a White kid to do if he is rapping along? Is he required to pause and not say that word?

I was kind of shocked the other night. I was watching "American Dad" on the cable channel "Adult Swim". I dozed off and the popular show "Boondock Saints" was on. It seemed like a fun show with interesting but somewhat angry Black characters but what was so terrible was how often the N word was used. This is a cartoon people. It does depict real life happenings in society but the use of the N word was offensive and that was exactly as it was meant as in "you dumb N.."

I think if the word has deemed to be the worst word in the world then it should be banned. Maybe we can get Biden to go after that word before the guns? I can only imagine that before the bullets start flying on the mean streets the N word flew first.
Just in case some are interested in how it came to be:

"The word originated in the 18th century as an adaptation of the Spanish word negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, which means "black"

Old 06-09-2022, 06:23 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
I tend to agree with that sentiment. When i hear a black person casually use the N word it does not offend me.. sometimes i am taken back a little depending on the situation or the person but it does not offend me. A white person casually using the N word is appalling, in my opinion. Casually is the context here, if someone is quoting a song lyric or a book that changes the context therefore changes my reaction...

Old 06-09-2022, 07:15 AM

6,661 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My best friend a long time ago told me what it REALLY meant. He was BLACK.

"A low class, ignorant, scum bag, usually UN-educated, who gives the rest of us (blacks) a bad name"

Either we have EQUAL rights, or we don't!

Either we have "freedom of speech" or we don't!

It does NOT apply to a large portion of blacks, unless they act a certain way.

I have always thought that too. it's a trash word. Trash when whitey used it on slaves and trash today.

Chris Rock had a good bit on that,..I bet he is on the cusp of being an Uncle Tom to some,..and liked when he got slapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIcK8SKWn8

Old 06-09-2022, 07:25 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They can have it. It's a horrible, hateful word. I can't see why anyone want to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Depends on how it’s used.
No, it doesn't depend on how it's used.

It's not in anyone's love language. Its use is always demeaning, even when the users don't recognize that they are demeaning themselves by using it.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:28 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
This is one of the things I'm never going to understand.

A word so loaded with history and with the power to hurt in the most profound manner, yet they use it among themselves.

Asians, Hispanics, and Jews in America have also had racist epithets created and thrown at them. Respectively, I'll call them the "C-word," the "S-word," and the "K-word."

But NEVER have I seen Asians calling each other the C-word, or Hispanics each other the S-word, or Jews the K-word to each other. I may have seen youths from different Asian nationalities who were hostile to each other using variations of the C-word but that was strictly a nationality vs. nationality thing rather than an Asian thing.

I know this isn't going to change, but I just think it's sad that a word that is so hated, to the extent it IMMEDIATELY brings vicious violence by a black person to any nonblack person who says it, is so freely and casually used among black people.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:31 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was kind of shocked the other night. I was watching "American Dad" on the cable channel "Adult Swim". I dozed off and the popular show "Boondock Saints" was on. It seemed like a fun show with interesting but somewhat angry Black characters but what was so terrible was how often the N word was used. This is a cartoon people. It does depict real life happenings in society but the use of the N word was offensive and that was exactly as it was meant as in "you dumb N.."
That was "The Boondocks." "Boondock Saints" is something very different.

But "The Boondocks" is an interesting--and even important--television program.

While it pokes hard in multiple directions, it pokes most savagely at destructive attitudes black people perpetuate among ourselves. The writer, Aaron Magruder, is extremely aware of the foibles of his own culture, and he holds up a truthful mirror to show us our own ugliness.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it has suffered greatly from the "Archie Bunker Effect," in that the very people who should recognize the ugliness presented is the ugliness they practice--and should change--are delighted to see their ugliness on the screen.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:32 AM

362 posts, read 143,815 times
I am really beginning to see why Africans are preferred. Something awful went wrong after the boomer/early Gen X generation in America.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:39 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't consider the n word to be something that a person with class or intelligence would use no matter what their racial background is.
Agreed. Same with all the slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies