Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 03:19 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This might make for interesting gentrification possibilities.
Gentrification is already taking place in several cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirela View Post
Not to be funny, but it could be low-income (section 8) housing drawing them. Same goes for blue-collar suburbs.

There's a big push to diversify the suburbs.
This proves to me that the Black middle class is the most ignored segment of the Black population. The first thing you brought up was section 8. Not only is it not funny, it's quite simple-minded.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirela View Post
You're sadly mistaken if you think white people don't care about black people.

Do you think we like that huge swaths of our country are out of control, violent ghettos??

We WANT to see black people get their act together, it's better for EVERYBODY.
First of all, in that post you responded to, I wasn't even talking about White people specifically.

Second, I think there are many people, regardless of race, who don't care about Black people.

Third, I notice no one here is talking about the Black middle class going to the suburbs. Alot of Black people have gotten their stuff together, gotten into the middle class, and left the inner cities. The violence in the ghettos, that is what is left after Black people who could leave did leave.

Ghettos have always existed and few cared about the violence that existed there, until the riots of the 1960s. Huge swaths of America are not ghettos. Certain sections of major cities are ghettos. But even in those cities, it isn't the majority of the city (with exceptions such as Detroit).

Something else. I think about the smug tone of these threads regarding Blacks and how Black people vote. That does not tell me "we care about Black people and want them to do better". The smug, arrogant tone tells me things like "we told you so" or "Black people are a problem in society". I really don't see anything that says "we want Blacks to do better".

Old 06-25-2022, 03:49 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Are they waking up, that they are being used?
No they're just acting like everyone else and avoiding high crime areas if they can and settling in the suburbs if they have kids. It's not like black people ever wanted to live in ghettos.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No they're just acting like everyone else and avoiding high crime areas if they can and settling in the suburbs if they have kids. It's not like black people ever wanted to live in ghettos.
THANK YOU!!

The migration of Black Americans to the suburbs has been increasing since the 1960s. Once housing discrimination became illegal, the tide of Black Americans to suburban areas went up and has stayed up. Black people were seeking the same thing that White people were seeking. It has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:22 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I think the only thing you care about is having Republicans in office. Notice I never said Democrats were the best thing for Black people. I'm saying this is not about the well-being of Black people at all.
I don't care who is in office, as long as it is not today's extremist Democrats.

Tulsi Gabbard is my style of Democrat and I would be thrilled to vote for her or Joe Manchin.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I don't care who is in office, as long as it is not today's extremist Democrats.

Tulsi Gabbard is my style of Democrat and I would be thrilled to vote for her or Joe Manchin.
Well, all I get from the tone of this thread is "let's obsess about Black people's political patterns".

Old 06-25-2022, 09:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
One thing I think about daily is this. If you’re a Black middle class person, you're basically invisible to many people. There are more of us Black middle class persons than many people realize (or think about). I've always said that the Black middle class is the most ignored portion of the Black population.
Meh, we've got a lot in this area. Although these people in the suburbs can't drive worth a damn (all races and ages), one thing I do like about the Raleigh area is that it is well mixed. There's white and black folks just about everywhere. There are some predominantly poorer white areas, and predominantly poorer black areas, but overall, you see black and white in the same neighborhoods. In the upper middle class areas, I'd say it's 50% white, 25% Indian, and 25% black.

Not long ago, I delivered to a very nice house, circular drive, beautiful yard. I was completely admiring the yard while waiting for the owner to come to the door for their order. It was so perfect, their yard, that I could not help myself but to say something to the lady when she opened the door. She was a ..maybe middle aged, maybe a bit younger, black lady. She said, "Thank you. It takes a LOT of hard work to get this." I replied, "Oh, I know that" because that place was clearly very expensive. Man, that yard was amazing.

This particular lady is probably above upper middle class, but there's a lot of black families in some really nice neighborhoods, mainly the HOA areas - which are not cheap.

What I will say is that they tip better than the middle class white folks. They are definitely not invisible to me.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
First of all, in that post you responded to, I wasn't even talking about White people specifically.

Second, I think there are many people, regardless of race, who don't care about Black people.

Third, I notice no one here is talking about the Black middle class going to the suburbs. Alot of Black people have gotten their stuff together, gotten into the middle class, and left the inner cities. The violence in the ghettos, that is what is left after Black people who could leave did leave.

Ghettos have always existed and few cared about the violence that existed there, until the riots of the 1960s. Huge swaths of America are not ghettos. Certain sections of major cities are ghettos. But even in those cities, it isn't the majority of the city (with exceptions such as Detroit).

Something else. I think about the smug tone of these threads regarding Blacks and how Black people vote. That does not tell me "we care about Black people and want them to do better". The smug, arrogant tone tells me things like "we told you so" or "Black people are a problem in society". I really don't see anything that says "we want Blacks to do better".
People making more money, improving their life and moving to nicer areas. Thank you for providing proof that racism is not a factor on whether someone makes it in life.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:23 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
Interesting; I moved from Chicago to TN a couple weeks ago. TBH downtown by the lake was pretty ideal, but I can't help but feel Chicago and NY have been forsaken. If that opinion changes, I'd move back (unless I get anchored down somehow).

Anyway, when in Rome... sign up for X safety training, and then purchase an X per your rights. What the X means, shall be left to one's imagination. As for politics, I've sworn off (D), but not switching to (R). I won't abstain, which leaves 3rd parties as my options.
"which leaves 3rd parties as my options."

And how many 3rd party people have actually been elected?
IMO, a wasted vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies