Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Go to the doctor, get your health care, then pay for it. Just like you go to the restaurant, get your food, then pay for it. Or go to the department store, get your clothes, then pay for it.

First step in reducing health care costs is to block illegal immigrants at the border.

Immigrations policy, tax policy, foreign policy, energy policy, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
DeSantis for President, then he can nominate Trump to SCOTUS.
What Republican Senator would vote to confirm Trump to SCOTUS? That would cause the Republican Party to lose any credibility it still has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
In less than two years, the backlash against the new liberals will be so swift and certain, any candidate of theirs won't win a single electoral vote. Common sense grown-up liberal Dems will either win back the party, or form a new one. The new liberals are already on their way to oblivion and the media is only humoring them while they are good for amusing copy.
Who are the "new liberals?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 09:01 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So, I take it you were out of the country during the eight years of Obama's presidency?

Oh, snap!

Old 06-09-2022, 09:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Much as I wish Trump were president right now, the fact is that he is damaged goods. This is due to a rabidly partisan press, an opposition party that constantly hits below the belt, and a bunch of low-information voters who refuse to see beyond "Orange Man Bad" and "Mean Tweets." Nothing about it is fair, but it's where we are. I want a Republican in the White House. And I think it's vastly more likely that DeSantis would get more votes on the margins than Trump would.
who that voted for Trump wouldn't vote for another Republican rather than allowing Biden or another Dem to win?

Old 06-09-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Because Trump will always have influence as he’s so extremely popular and gets sOOO much attention from both parties. It shows in so many candidates he’s endorsed that have won…and he has so much influence that he hasn’t even said he’s running, yet you can’t stop talking about him. That’s the definition of influence.

Yes.

I have to say: As many great Republicans as there are on this board, my instinct is it's not an accurate representation of the country as a whole.

I think City-Data users tend to be more upper middle income/upper class (not all of us but the majority of us), and Trump may not hold quite as much sway with that contingency of the Party as he does with middle/working class voters.

Anyone who truly believes Trump is as reviled and hated as the media/Democrats claim is completely fooled on that point. Doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat, this is just flat out wrong. Trump has far more love at this point, than he does disdain - no matter how much the Elites/Deep State attempt to convince us otherwise.

And the very same people now claiming he can never win another election, were saying he wouldn't win in 2016 either - so their track record is questionable at best.

None of this is to say I would not support a DeSantis candidacy. I love the guy, he would be a godsend.

But my original contention remains: They both are equally important, and they need to work out an agreement so this does not unravel into MAGA Civil War. (We're not even close to that at this juncture, which is why the talks should begin in haste now - long before anything can go wrong.)

Old 06-09-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
This is exactly what I stated in this thread.

Trump could blow it all up

I know a lot of people here support Trump, but it will be a YUGE mistake to let him run. He will destroy everyone on the Republican side, leaving an opening for Democrats to sneak through.

No one but Desantis would pose any threat to a Trump candidacy - so it's not Trump himself that is the issue - it's if there is bad blood between the two. (Although even I can't pretend Trump doesn't have the bigger ego, and I am taking that into account! But hey, without his ego he wouldn't have spawned this great movement to begin with.)

To an earlier poster: I understand there can only be one Republican candidate. I am imagining a heinous scenario where the Primary loser encourages their supporters not to back the other candidate. Or even a situation where they do, but the internecine warfare overpowers any attempt at a truce.

I don't deny none of this may ever come to pass. (I hope it doesn't, obviously.)

But with the blathering buffoon we have in the White House right now, the stakes are far too high to just ignore the potentiality.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:25 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I can't imagine there would be many Republicans that would vote for Biden or 3rd party if their preferred nominee wasn't on the ballot.

I'd prefer Desantis but would vote for Trump if needed. Either way Biden needs to be gone.
I almost always vote 3rd party however I do agree with most of Trump's policy points. Problem is much of Trump's agenda never got passed because he is so polarizing. Even those in his own party like McCain went against him. I would vote for Desantis and I think he would have a better shot at actually getting things done. If its Trump again I am voting Libertarian.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I almost always vote 3rd party however I do agree with most of Trump's policy points. Problem is much of Trump's agenda never got passed because he is so polarizing.

No, much of Trump's agenda didn't get passed because RINOs like Paul Ryan still controlled the Party - and they even tried to stop him before he was elected.

The Republican Party has drastically changed since then, particularly at the House level - and is in the process of changing more. Esp. the more they realize their voters are not letting them go back to being the Party of the Bushes and the Romneys.

That said, Trump got a ton of his agenda passed - and the country was way better off than we are now after just 15 months of bozo Biden.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:37 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Don't much care if Republicans take control as long as they are rational. Problem is, there are not many rational Republicans these days.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:54 AM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
I would vote for Trump, I would vote for DeSantis, but I would vote twice for Rand Paul.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
To an earlier poster: I understand there can only be one Republican candidate. I am imagining a heinous scenario where the Primary loser encourages their supporters not to back the other candidate. Or even a situation where they do, but the internecine warfare overpowers any attempt at a truce.

I don't deny none of this may ever come to pass. (I hope it doesn't, obviously.)

But with the blathering buffoon we have in the White House right now, the stakes are far too high to just ignore the potentiality.

Except you (and the author you cited) didn't present it as a remote possibility but almost a certainty ("I firmly believe this is the Left's "ace in the hole""). The reality is that a tough primary between candidates with similar policies almost never harms the winner in the general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies