Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:34 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She is being brainwashed the way children are brainwashed on social media. Her mind just isn't what it was and she is susceptible to extremism targeted to the vulnerable. Sorry this happened to her and your family. Many families are dealing with it, really through the last couple elections and Covid. It's just sad mom has to live her later years being caught up in it. But she likes it? Maybe she feels it gives her some kind of control or meaning as she gets more frail from age and loses control over things in her real life. She can shout using her keyboard and feel like a young radical.

And if she is an old time racist democrat, well she is where she feels she can speak her mind I guess. Maybe you can ignore it unless she goes too far and threatens someone and then she will get a suspension.
You actually gave me some understanding. She may becoming more like a child where she is looking for validation and acceptance, therefore she comments and shares these crazy extremist things so other crazies will approve of her.

I keep trying to convince her to put down the electronics and enjoy the outdoors, but I can’t force her to do it from across the country.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:35 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
The internet makes normal people into extremists. Extremism one-upsmanship is a great way to get likes and follows.

I wouldn't pay it much heed. My rule is that I judge people by how they treat me in person, since there are more guardrails in place and in-person behavior affects me more.

I prefer to judge people by their superegos rather than their ids.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:41 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
You actually gave me some understanding. She may becoming more like a child where she is looking for validation and acceptance, therefore she comments and shares these crazy extremist things so other crazies will approve of her.

I keep trying to convince her to put down the electronics and enjoy the outdoors, but I can’t force her to do it from across the country.
What happens is normal people will unfriend her or quietly ignore her until all that is left are the lunatics who will like the bat chit crap that she posts. She very likely is lonely, bored and hooked on the stupid likes - dopamine hits. Is she healthy enough to get out of the house and volunteer somewhere? If so, perhaps you can help guide her towards an organization that may be looking for help? I suspect some outside fulfillment would curb the need for useless internet addiction.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:46 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times
I really think social media has created many more problems than people realize.

People slowly go down a rabbit hole without understanding how dangerous it is.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:19 AM

15,845 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Some people just get more racist when they are in their dotage. It's a simplified form of thinking that doesn't tax the aging mind, and there's not really much you can do at that point. I just shrug and say "I see". At least if you maintain family ties, you can try and prevent them from doing something hateful.

Last edited by rjshae; 06-09-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2022, 10:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Take her out for her favorite dinner and let her look around.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:32 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
I have always loved my Mom, even though I knew she was a non violent racist. It's just her old school upbringing. She's ignorant, but still my Mom.

However, now that she is on Facebook, I see she is posting and sharing many violent extremist left wingnut ideas, including thinking all Republicans should be locked up in jail or shot to death and conservative Supreme Court justices should be threatened or killed. She is fully supporting taking people out or burning things down down, in order to get the Democrat way to succeed.

How does one manage to stay connected with their Mom when they discover how twisted her thinking really is? There has been no convincing her of her extremism. Would you just cut her loose and leave her to her own hate or would you find a way to bury your shock and disgust in her, and just try to make do until she naturally expires?
I have a similar situation as my mom is in a cult and elderly. She is shunning me so the decision to cut her from my life was hers. It stung at first but now I agree

It helps me to think of her as a drug addict. She is caught in some persistent negative loops. I don't see a way out for her. Even if I did it's not my place to tell anyone else what they can or cannot believe. This is their battle, there is nothing for you to do about it.

Do whatever you think is best for you. She is doing that and you can as well.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Give her 15 mg edible cannabis gummies but don't tell her. That oughtta shut her up.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 541,364 times
Quote:
I have always loved my Mom, even though I knew she was a non violent racist. It's just her old school upbringing. She's ignorant, but still my Mom.

However, now that she is on Facebook, I see she is posting and sharing many violent extremist left wingnut ideas, including thinking all Republicans should be locked up in jail or shot to death and conservative Supreme Court justices should be threatened or killed. She is fully supporting taking people out or burning things down down, in order to get the Democrat way to succeed.

How does one manage to stay connected with their Mom when they discover how twisted her thinking really is? There has been no convincing her of her extremism. Would you just cut her loose and leave her to her own hate or would you find a way to bury your shock and disgust in her, and just try to make do until she naturally expires?

It sound like she's mentally ill in her advanced age, so take her the the gun store and get her an AR-15 so she'll be just like all the other mentally ill people.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:58 AM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Lots of opinions about old women here. At 82, I have never met or even talked to people like you guys are describing. Or the racist mom.

My MIL said stupid stuff and I was told for many years to ignore her. I occurred to me that if I were saying stupid stuff I'd want one of my kids to tell me how and why I needed another approach. So I started contradicting MIL in a nice and gentle way. When she started looking at events on the news and/or the behavior of some people she changed her thinking. Or she hid it from me really well.

The actuary tables give your mom another 7 years. You might want to explain to her how those data aggregators work. Buy her some puzzles to get her off FB. Or introduce her to this site. She'll learn really quickly what most Trump fans think of Democrats. When she sees she is thought of as a stupid, lazy assed dependent of the kindness of others she may stroke out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies