Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times

Advertisements

I am a true member of the free-market fan club. I believe that there is a point when people will stop buying something... Will it be cable tv, Disney vacations, cruises, or designer clothing? If we quit buying, then people who are selling will be out of a job, and those people won't buy, so that business will go out of business. Will it be the neighborhood gym? When do we eat meat and potatoes again instead of ready-to-eat? Is your income dependent on a luxury or is it basic necessity? Groceries will close isles when they only sell staples...

Don't worry about the price of oil. There will be no need and therefore the price will fall back, only hope that our capitalists will have squirrelled away enough to reopen, resupply, re, re, re...

Don't let the government get involved. We the people will fix all the problems simply by choosing to buy or to deny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am a true member of the free-market fan club. I believe that there is a point when people will stop buying something... Will it be cable tv, Disney vacations, cruises, or designer clothing? If we quit buying, then people who are selling will be out of a job, and those people won't buy, so that business will go out of business. Will it be the neighborhood gym? When do we eat meat and potatoes again instead of ready-to-eat? Is your income dependent on a luxury or is it basic necessity? Groceries will close isles when they only sell staples...

Don't worry about the price of oil. There will be no need and therefore the price will fall back, only hope that our capitalists will have squirrelled away enough to reopen, resupply, re, re, re...

Don't let the government get involved. We the people will fix all the problems simply by choosing to buy or to deny.
The transition from a service and consumer economy to a production/savings one will be very painful but the transition will be made quicker if we don't have government involvement.

If you're in a non-exportable service industry (masseuse, personal trainer, etc), you may have real problems.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
I am a true member of the free-market fan club.
Unfortunately, no one knows what a free market looks like... They think "free market" is synonymous with "chemicals floating down the stream."

If you value your oppression, thank a baby boomer.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Unfortunately, no one knows what a free market looks like... They think "free market" is synonymous with "chemicals floating down the stream."

If you value your oppression, thank a baby boomer.

I don't know what you mean "If you value your oppression, thank.."

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean "If you value your oppression, thank.."
It's a play on the "if you love your freedom, thank a vet."

The boomers are the current patriarch of this country. The current condition is their failure to control their government and their failure to understand government and economics and their failure to implement a public education system that's pro-education rather than pro-union.

Consider Social Security/Medicare. That alone adds 15.3% tax on every transaction. The money I earn is taxed at 15.3%. When I pay the guy down the street to perfrom a service, 15.3% is skimmed off his wages.

In addition to that, a nice chunk of the national debt is owed to the Social Security Administration because the "SS Trust" is actually only invested in Treasury Bills... So, our current income taxes also contribute beyond the 15.3% by paying interest on the T-Bills.

Now that they're the biggest voting block, as a group, they're choosing not to have SS revised so that it's fair to them on their way out and fair to the following generations as the program is brought to an end.

Sooo, the potatoes in their hands and rather than trying to fix it, they're trying to pass it to the next.

What does this have to do with a free market? Taxes, in any form, effect the price of a product. A free market allows for participant determined pricing. Taxes infringe on market freedom by limiting the options of participants... in the case of SS/Medicare, the limitation is oppressive.

Last edited by One Thousand; 05-23-2008 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

The current condition is their failure to control their government and their failure to understand government and economics
Thank you.

This one line expresses a profound truth.

I don't know if I want to mean disrespect for my parents' generation or not, but I can honestly say that collectively, they are probably the most stupid people this country has EVER seen.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Thank you.

This one line expresses a profound truth.

I don't know if I want to mean disrespect for my parents' generation or not, but I can honestly say that collectively, they are probably the most stupid people this country has EVER seen.
I wouldn't call them stupid. I'd call them naive and lacking a sense of responsibility while having a sense of entitlement.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
And you two clowns are how old? And what generation? Sheez, young p***s think they know it all, nothing has changed, eh?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And you two clowns are how old? And what generation? Sheez, young p***s think they know it all, nothing has changed, eh?
Actually, you might want to do a little research. The opinion is widely held by many members of that generation also and the arguments against it are atronomically idiotic... which suits your dismissal of the topic in favor of a personal attack.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:50 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
I am a true member of the free-market fan club.

That's like saying "I am a fan of Tinker Bell." You're talking about a fantasy. A chimera. An academic exercise. Something to discuss over a cigar and cognac among wealthy old men with heavily veined noses and gout.

The U.S. economy (and those of several other advanced nations across the world) is too complex to talk about it being "free market" anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies