Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 03:59 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
High gas prices are here to stay only if we have an administration who would rather import from our adversaries rather than use only own resources and be energy independent
We import a small percentage of our oil. We are a net exporter. Once again, the government is not in charge of the oil industry. Biden is an idiot but no president can make Exxonmobil lower their prices.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:06 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
@Kibby, you are right, I looked for more info. What I had heard about was the production increase that they agreed to do about a week ago, ahead of a Biden visit to the region. But it's not enough to really shift pricing.

I still think that our prices in the US are lower than elsewhere in the world because of those releases from the Reserves. Talk to people in Canada and Europe. I've had people tell me anywhere from the equivalent of $8-11/gallon. America, as you explain very clearly, does not exist in a bubble with regard to this market (or many other commodity markets for that matter.) Of course I've got some concern about the longer term ramifications of using our reserves like this.

Perhaps the real criticism of Biden should be aimed at going through our nation's fuel reserves, saying that he's trying to relieve the strain on American wallets, but in fact playing politics because obviously, tough economic conditions for voters makes him and his party look bad. But it's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Food prices are also going to keep going up and I think that we will see even more of a long term effect there, because not only are gas prices to transport product a big factor, but global markets on food commodities will feel a squeeze due to disruptions in Ukraine, which is a huge agricultural concern in the region.

Yes, I know that the 2008 increase only lasted during the summer, but there was still a lot of freakout talk about it when it was happening. I don't listen to "sky is falling" alarmists. I keep calm and play a longer game. One way or another, life does tend to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Did you know about the ethanol summer issue?
Actually no, and that is because the information that I get is focused on the energy markets, and it covers oil and other fuels mainly insofar as it is involved in energy, though typically one sees many similar effects flow into various end-use pricing.

But my thought about what prices will do in the months to come is not only about that. Democrats are gonna be desperate to get those prices down for the midterms, and I think we will see it. But I don't think that any relief we see (if indeed there is any at all) due to political pressures, will last.

Though eventually, I do believe that the market will shift as various pressures on it come and go.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:07 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
We import a small percentage of our oil. We are a net exporter. Once again, the government is not in charge of the oil industry. Biden is an idiot but no president can make Exxonmobil lower their prices.
actually, it is biden's fault. he even admitted to it. why are you arguing with your Lord Biden?

"the buck stops here"
"whoever is the President of United States, the responsibility is TOTAL"
"i will not blame anybody when I am President"
-Biden 2020

Even Pelosi said the President is responsible for gas price in 2018
https://mobile.twitter.com/SpeakerPe...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Old 06-10-2022, 04:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Protest? No thanks. I don’t want to end up in some dungeon with the “insurrectionists.”
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-10-2022, 04:14 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
actually, it is biden's fault. he even admitted to it. why are you arguing with your Lord Biden?

"the buck stops here"
"whoever is the President of United States, the responsibility is TOTAL"
"i will not blame anybody when I am President"
-Biden 2020

Even Pelosi said the President is responsible for gas price in 2018
https://mobile.twitter.com/SpeakerPe...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
I'm not a fan of hers and I don't claim to understand all the moving parts but she specifically mentioned tariffs. What do you think Biden did to increase oil/gasoline? A Forbs article that goes into tariffs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judecle...and-americans/

Also, what do you think about an ultrashort option, ticker DUG? Too soon?

Old 06-10-2022, 04:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
When the traffic on the freeway with 60mph limit is always moving at 72 or more, and people are still passing me, there is definite evidence that at least many people don't care that much about it. It's still one of the most popular topics to complain about, but if people really cared they would go slower. I can get as much as 2-3 more mpg by staying below 67, but it would be dangerous with all of the tailgating and lane changing to pass me.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm not a fan of hers and I don't claim to understand all the moving parts but she specifically mentioned tariffs. What do you think Biden did to increase oil/gasoline? A Forbs article that goes into tariffs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judecle...and-americans/

Also, what do you think about an ultrashort option, ticker DUG? Too soon?
Why are you asking me? Should you be asking from the source like Biden and Pelosi?

I am just copy & paste what Biden and Pelosi said when Trump was President

Old 06-10-2022, 04:22 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Why are you asking me? Should you be asking from the source like Biden and Pelosi?

I am just copy & paste what Biden and Pelosi said when Trump was President
You should probably have actually read it because now you just reminded all of us we were warned about all this inflation when Trump implemented those tariffs.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When the traffic on the freeway with 60mph limit is always moving at 72 or more, and people are still passing me, there is definite evidence that at least many people don't care that much about it. It's still one of the most popular topics to complain about, but if people really cared they would go slower. I can get as much as 2-3 more mpg by staying below 67, but it would be dangerous with all of the tailgating and lane changing to pass me.
Old habit, like driving fast , is hard to die

Old habit also includes paying $2-3 dollars less for gas than whatever we are paying at this time

Old 06-10-2022, 04:26 PM

12,037 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Protest? No thanks. I don’t want to end up in some dungeon with the “insurrectionists.”
Exactly.
Democrats are untouchable — they can burn down and loot thousands of businesses, kill cops, destroy national monuments and be called “peaceful.” Kamala Harris even personally pays for their bail.
Republican protestors (even just trespassers) end up in prison isolation cells for over a year with no sentencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies